• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but I refuse to believe Naruto is dead after bearing that huge beast bomb attack. There's no way to defeat the enemy without him and/or Sasuke. They did it once (at the end of Shippuden) and they can do it again... I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Well it's easy to know how this will play out if you've already seen the movie. Even if you haven't, they explicitly need the nine tails chakra, which would ruin the bad guy's plans if they killed Naruto before getting it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
This was pretty good - I especially enjoyed the parent-child interactions, and Boruto finally getting to see his dad in his full glory, not to mention Sarada, though she's never been as disinclined to believe, even though she's had much more reason to be resentful of Sasuke than Boruto has of Naruto.

That said, it would have been nice if they could've come up (way back before the movie stage, I guess) with a novel threat, instead of just dipping from the whole Kaguya/Otsutsuki moonies well again. Then again, Boruto has pretty much been beat-for-beat a Naruto clone overall, so I can't claim surprise, or even too much disappointment.

It still hurts to see Gaara in that Ken-doll wig though. Whoever told him it looked good - stop it, the joke has gone on long enough.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up, Yay!
Ok, I haven't seen the movie, but I've been keeping an eye on the manga in Shonen Jump and I'm pretty sure Naruto doesn't die here. Of course, they can always have the anime diverge further from the other versions of the story, so the possibility still exists.

Otherwise, my impressions, in no particular order:
--Did anyone see what happened to the other 2 kages during the fight with the Moonies? That was bugging me more than any other detail, they seemed to go completely MIA. Not that there weren't other annoying details like
--WHY DIDN'T GAARA TELL NARUTO ABOUT KILLER BEE??? That seems super important and relevant to Naruto's interests as Hokage and as a fellow Jinchuriki, and, last but not least, as a friend of Gaara's and Killer Bee's. I know Gaara is tight lipped by nature, but withholding that information is just plain dangerous. (It's possible he did tell Naruto about Killer Bee, or that Kurama did, but if so, I wish they let us see that!)
--I think the main reason the scientific ninja tool was disallowed in the Chunin exam was because it bypasses the need to use and control one's chakra. Naruto compared the Moonie's pills to doping, and using a scientific ninja tool is similarly like an Olympic athlete using steroids. It made sense to me.
--In ep 60, Sakura admits to Sarada that Sasuke occasionally comes home from his mission while Sarada is sleeping. Guess their marriage isn't as bad as I thought! Wink

I've been really enjoying Boruto and this arc has been especially good; looking forward to seeing the rest of it!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

--In ep 60, Sakura admits to Sarada that Sasuke occasionally comes home from his mission while Sarada is sleeping. Guess their marriage isn't as bad as I thought! Wink

I've been really enjoying Boruto and this arc has been especially good; looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

tell that to kishimoto's wife. i would bet ya that she is still sore about it considering she was a die hard naruxsaku shipper. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 64 indulged in one of my most-hated tropes: while Momoshiki was powering up to free Kinshiki, everyone just stood around and let him. They may not have known exactly what he was planning, but they could tell it was going to be bad, so why didn't they keep attacking him? It would have been much more impressive if he could've accomplished freeing him (and eating him) in the midst of an active battle!

I vote for "Momokin."
Anime_fan_88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys Smile

I have a question regarding Chakara:

Is Chakra in Naruto and Naruto Shippuden the same as the

Chakra in Indian religions ?

Is it the same as this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakra

Or is it based on it ?

Or is it inspired by it ?

Or is it a parody of it ?
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
finally time to start the Boruto Anime... (hope the 1st episodes are not all "filler"-like)
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
No idea what the reviewer is talking about when she says a chunk of the episode was from the movie. Only 1-2 minute scenes in the episode were reused (kyuubi + susanoo, Katasuke attacking momoshiki and the giant rasengan blasting to space). Everything else was animated from scratch, including the vanishing rasengan.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I was thrilled to see non-movie, well-animated material. Glad they found whatever silo their animators were hiding in. I won't inquire as to whether they were adequately compensated for coming out of hiding.

The incorporation of Boruto into this arc has seemed unnatural to me, though. We get the sense mid-episode that Sasuke had some 27th-sense reason for believing Boruto could beat up the baddy due to his chakra-shifting technique, but if that's the real reason, why not convey that to the tactical team ahead of time and not risk everyone's lives on a suboptimal plan?

And, even given that, if Sasuke hadn't explained that nonsense to the available adults (EDIT: Naruto would not be available, of course), why would they be down with it? This is taking a 14 y/o or what-have-you and throwing him up against a god. It makes no sense.

I appreciate the series' attempt to link the Naruto history to the Boruto beginnings, but I wish it had actually tried, and not just said "Oh btw this kid is important so now he's gonna fight the guys it took 700 episodes to get ready to fight before."

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, regardless of bones to pick with the setup (e.g., bringing Boruto along and everyone's fine with it), this episode, by itself, I have no gripes with. It was spectacular to watch, suspenseful, and it was really satisfying to see Naruto and Sasuke working together like a well-oiled machine (also somewhat implausible, but who cares when the result is so beautiful), and Boruto seeing just what his old man is really capable of, along with discovering some of his own talents.

And creating the super Rasengan was nicely done (shades of One for All). But I think my favorite shot in the whole thing was when Naruto got that big, full-faced grin and looked like his impish kid self, instead of the middle aged dude with the bad hair. Seriously, why is Sasuke the only one who gets to have good hair as an adult?

Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
No idea what the reviewer is talking about when she says a chunk of the episode was from the movie. Only 1-2 minute scenes in the episode were reused (kyuubi + susanoo, Katasuke attacking momoshiki and the giant rasengan blasting to space). Everything else was animated from scratch, including the vanishing rasengan.

Yeah this annoyed me as well because it's taking away the credit from the animation team that worked for months on this episode to make it perfect. Over 30 animators from all over the industry, both veterans and new comers, worked on the new version of this fight that doesn't reuse any animation from the movie for the most part and actually did the fight WAY better then the movie version. Seriously I wish they would fact check before putting out false information.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Yeah this annoyed me as well because it's taking away the credit from the animation team that worked for months on this episode to make it perfect. Over 30 animators from all over the industry, both veterans and new comers, worked on the new version of this fight that doesn't reuse any animation from the movie for the most part and actually did the fight WAY better then the movie version. Seriously I wish they would fact check before putting out false information.

I think it's more a matter of the reviewer's definition of the word "chunk" being at odds with a previous commenter's than one of insufficient "fact checking." Roughly 10-15% of the episode constituted replayed footage from the movie, and given that each episode runs for about 20 minutes minus the credits and commercial breaks, I think it was a fair choice of words. The review also states that the technical merits of this episode's anime-original material are on par with those of the feature film, which is basically the opposite of taking credit away from the staff. Framing this as some kind of affront to the people who worked on the episode is a bit much.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, regardless of bones to pick with the setup (e.g., bringing Boruto along and everyone's fine with it), this episode, by itself, I have no gripes with. It was spectacular to watch, suspenseful, and it was really satisfying to see Naruto and Sasuke working together like a well-oiled machine (also somewhat implausible, but who cares when the result is so beautiful), and Boruto seeing just what his old man is really capable of, along with discovering some of his own talents.

Yeah, I agree that it was executed well, and - having followed the series for so long - it was quite a satisfying set of character moments for Naruto, Boruto, and Sasuke. I didn't personally question Naruto and Sasuke working together extremely well -- I figure they've had plenty of time to work that out since the events in the finale of Shippuden, even if Sasuke is constantly out've the village doing random edgy crap.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

I think it's more a matter of the reviewer's definition of the word "chunk" being at odds with a previous commenter's than one of insufficient "fact checking." Roughly 10-15% of the episode constituted replayed footage from the movie, and given that each episode runs for about 20 minutes minus the credits and commercial breaks, I think it was a fair choice of words. The review also states that the technical merits of this episode's anime-original material are on par with those of the feature film, which is basically the opposite of taking credit away from the staff. Framing this as some kind of affront to the people who worked on the episode is a bit much.

Have you actually watched the movie recently? 10-15% is WAY overshooting since most of the episode was completely original to the anime (the fight plays out completely differently then the movie and is more in line with the manga, which is why most of it is new animation) and I can only think of like two very quick animated moments that were probably pulled from the movie. So no, I don't agree with you here.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
No, but I skimmed the final battle in light of your remarks, and collectively, there are a few minutes of movie material scattered throughout the episode, hence my 10-15% estimation. Again, without the credit sequences and commercials, this is roughly a 20-minute show. Exact percentages aside, at no point did the review state or imply that the majority of the episode was comprised of replayed footage, which seems to be the position you're trying to assign the reviewer. You've essentially zeroed in on a debatable word choice in what was otherwise a glowing review of what is arguably the show's best episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 31