• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KADO - The Right Answer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote

What happened in this episode will make or break this series to its viewers. The tone has changed completely with that final scene, although the exposition zaShunina so kindly gave us about the anisotropic and the desires of this dimension make much more sense when taking last week's defence of humanity and its universe into account.

zaShunina says he prepared four gifts for humanity and viewers are now treated to a glimpse of what the third gift can do. I do agree with zaShunina that the third gift would send humanity into a different age of development unprecedented in human civilisation, but it's FAR more dangerous than the WAM in its potential for abuse. Viewers might not get to see what the fourth and final gift is after that final scene though.

Three days for Shinawa to produce something which can interfere with the invincible cube, but matters looks somewhat dire right now and three days might not come soon enough.

If the series does not diverge too much from its roots (as I see it) as an exposition on the art of negotiation and delivering the best outcome for all sides like in episode #0, then Shindo Kojirou has to do put together the deal of his life to get away with a satisfactory outcome for all parties concerned.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
That plot twist was too far out of left field for me. There wasn't even any build up to it. I liked the show more when they worked things out through negotiation, but now It feels like the writing has gone off the cliff in the last couple of episodes.

Three episodes left. Let's see if they can pull it together Rolling Eyes
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
You know that feeling when you've been talking to a friend you thought was intelligent and thoughtful, but there have been hints that maybe he's kind of dumb, and then as you start to lose interest you discover that he turns out to not have been a person at all, but in fact 25 squirrels standing on top of each other to mimic a human being? That's the feeling I'm getting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Why are you all surprised? Confused You have been watching this show, right?

Remember the original story? factory is looking stagnant, outside force comes in to what appears to destroy but has what appears to be good intentions for those involved. Negotiator steps in first to do what the outsider wants, but rather than do what he is supposed to that would help them he instead looks for a way they can move forward under its own hard work. Negotiator steps in to alter how both sides think to pick up a new way forward, convincing them that the stagnation can be broken. That was the positive outcome that the first episode presented, and flies right into the face of what ZaShunina has been up to that he kind of put himself in the wrong place.

First, Earth is hardly at a place of stagnation, yeah there are some problems but we can move forward, there was not much point that ZaShunina should think he need to step in to change things. ZaShunina in general always seemed to consider his way as being "The right answer", it was that he was never up to negation that there would be a way different from what he considers is right, and this is while had such a little idea of what actually made humans tick. Shindo was never really even given a position by ZaShunina that he could alter his, yes he could have the "how's" be changed a little from his input, but ZaShunina was doing less of taking his opinions as possible alternate paths rather he was a way to experiment and get what he wanted.

It confuses me that people think that this is coming out of left field that ZaShunina is a bit of a dick, because he had kind of built himself up as one. The humans in the show and out just had trouble seeing it because he seems to be giving just benefits on the human level, but was simultaneously devaluing them on the human level. The example that comes to mind is something from economics, I think inflation:

In the general wellbeing terms more money means the better off, and thus for everyone you should consider that everyone having more money means something good, so under that thought process you should just keep printing out money and giving it to everyone. But that is a devastating thought process because that money would be based on no new product (goods or services), and that inflation will make all the value of products earned earlier also pointless as a singularity is created where all the money becomes worthless. In the context of the show, money would be things like energy, time to be productive, the ability to control space itself and even time, while resources would be information, something highly valued by the higher beings. ZaShunina was pretty much messing with the economy which is humanity by keep printing off money too quickly, and he suddenly realised he was probably about to create a crash where the product able to be produced would become worthless because as we are now we would probably reach our own singularity of information. A healthy economy works by a limitation of money with a small drip that might steadily create some inflation as the quality of product should improve.

It really is not all that surprising that we have ended up here, or a betrayal of what it was setting up. Or perhaps I am just weird that I was at least subconsciously applying things I learned in economics to a story about an alien giving people everything.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
For me, it was the whole idea of anisotropic beings being so... human in their motivations, with a magical girl appearing out of nowhere that struck me as silly, not that pretty dimensional boy was a dick.

As for the economics, that's all interesting, but the show has stubbornly refused to really explore any of the economic consequences of what has been happening, outside of a little idle speculation. The Wam was supposed to change everything, but then no one could make it. The Sansa presumably changed a lot of things about productivity and idle time, but we never saw any of its impact on the world.

The interesting story is entirely in your head, when you start really thinking about the economic consequences of this stuff. But it stays in your head, it never shows up on the screen. You're simply writing a smarter story than the show.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9
Going with the usual theme that "Four means death", zaShunina decides to jump the rails and go straight to his final "fourth gift" as his love confession of sorts for Shindo, unfortunately for Shindo he is not quite ready to be the first truly ascended human and zaShunina response is to "delete, and try again".

The big reveal for the episode is that Tsukai was always an antistropic being or was the acting avatar for what zaShunina describes as "this Universe' administrator".

The show has always seemed to be hints of yaoi fan bait with the pretty boy zaShunina and handsome in a suit Shindo, but this episode takes the idea and runs full Yandere love triangle with it.

This is effectively the make or break episode for the audience, myself i'm in it for the rest of the crazy train of a ride, for others I can easily understand this simply being the final straw to get off the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even sure I'm understanding what it is he's trying to do. It sounded to me like humans weren't progressing fast enough to keep the anisotropes from getting bored with watching us. If that's the case, why does zaShunina seem to know so little about humans, having to read up on them to get up to speed, not even grasping how we perceive time? Shouldn't they already know all the data this universe has to offer? And if they haven't yet consumed all the data about it, why are they bored? What will speeding up our apparently boring development do for them?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not even sure I'm understanding what it is he's trying to do. It sounded to me like humans weren't progressing fast enough to keep the anisotropes from getting bored with watching us. If that's the case, why does zaShunina seem to know so little about humans, having to read up on them to get up to speed, not even grasping how we perceive time? Shouldn't they already know all the data this universe has to offer? And if they haven't yet consumed all the data about it, why are they bored? What will speeding up our apparently boring development do for them?

Because zaShunina is NOT a human, it is the rough equivalent of a human trying to uplift microbes into an equivalent, and if what zaShunina is implying, a SUPERIOR sapient race within the span of one year after developing a technology to directly communicate with said microbes.

zaShunina has been clear that "he is no god", what it seems to be is that zaShunina is closer to an "angel" and wants to uplift Humanity so they can act as the Gods both in there own universe and in the even more infinite antistropic.

This show could be retitled "Benevolent Evangelion, Kaworu knocks on Humanity's door" considering events so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think that zaShunina wants humans to go beyond the dimensions we already work within (presumably 3), and go upon many more with the expectation that it would multiply the data we would create and finally of be real information interest to those like him. Like something going from a broad idea to a full movie, and he has been quickening that idea like a producer. But he realised that what he was doing was too early and we ourselves may end up in the same dead end, we might not be a complex enough idea yet to make a good movie or have many sequels.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Then maybe what I'm not grasping is the why. What he's doing doesn't seem to fit with (what I thought was) why he said he was doing it, considering how little he seems to know about humanity to start with.

With the microbe metaphor, I wouldn't see the point of advancing their evolution if I didn't first understand everything there was to know about their present form - if being hungry for data/knowledge was my motivation. Especially since time doesn't seem to be in short supply for anisotropes.

To me it seems like pressuring them to make new episodes of One Piece and Sazae-san when you haven't even watched half their first seasons yet. Smile
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
In a nutshell, zaShunina (and the rest of the anisotropic beings) want more data from humanity and they'll get it the faster humanity evolves with the help of the gifts which will invariably result in more data for the anisotropic to handle which is what it's starved of at present.

When did the show state that the "4th gift" was zaShunina cloning Shindo? I count three gifts so far (Wam, Sansa and Nanomis-hein). For some reason zaShunina refers to Nanomis-hein as the 4th gift even though it came third on the list.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I believe the first gift was his nude scene in episode 2.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
He's counting Kado itself as a gift, though what good he thinks it has brought for humanity is a mystery
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
First reply to my question is a troll post. Not the first and certainly won't be the last time this user has posted in such a manner.

As for the second reply, did he say Kado was a gift in the manner of WAM and the others during his opening speech? During the WAM episodes, I remember him referring to them as the first gift to mankind with the Sansa coming in as the second after the WAM was effectively released as open-source to humanity.

The final consideration could be a mistake on the part of the script writers; the original intent being to describe Nanomis-hein as the third gift with the final one yet unrevealed. Somehow the dialogue got scrambled and made out Nanomis-hein to be gift #4 even though there were clearly four boxes.

Thinking about it, Kado might be the "third gift" since it IS the source of the first two gifts and serves as the gateway between the two dimensions which allows the first two gifts to function in the first place. Perhaps that's why zaShunina didn't bother to explicitly state it in the latest episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote

Again Nanomis-Hein is referred to as the fourth gift from the anisotropic. I'm still trying to figure out what number three is (most likely Kado since it's the big factory for just about everything anisotropic).

Now that viewers know what Tsukai Saraka's OTHER backstory is about, what time the show has before it ends will be devoted to resolving the little conflict that is now in place. Based on next week's trailer, it seems like Shindo won't be able to come up with a satisfactory outcome for all parties like episode #0 if he's talking about trying to eject zaShunina through brute force. There's also talk of some kind of weapon which is instantly lethal to humans too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6