• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KADO - The Right Answer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
it is strange, zaShunina has a solemn moment at the end and it could be over a number of things, he made a remark about Shindo lying and now zaShunina is "continuing with the show" after touting multiple half truths.

It is revealed that zaShunina is a minority opinion among the anti-stropic, it is slightly unclear what zaShunina was trying to do to Saraka be it actually destroying her physical body or using higher level powers to temporarily banish her from the universe, but just as well the force is all too apparently destructive to a human body.

Another part is that zaShunina might not be able to understand the concept of death as he has only recently joined a "lower tier" universe, however he does still understand the concept of harming someone and is likely distraught that he has caused Shindo harm regardless of his overly "logical" mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Another part is that zaShunina might not be able to understand the concept of death as he has only recently joined a "lower tier" universe, however he does still understand the concept of harming someone and is likely distraught that he has caused Shindo harm regardless of his overly "logical" mind.

I think that this is kind of it, he lacks a sense of finite existence as is within out universe. I think even his talk of hating lies is that for him might be a concept of just incorrect data, but for humans it can be tied to various emotional aspects, and such emotional aspects could be tied to sense of finite, can appear harsh but also kind. For example when Saraka's father berated her for running off, or telling her against going to the dangerous America, it could appear harsh but was actually out of a parental sense of caring.

It may be that he never saw the beauty of something that could last only a small while, but I get the feeling that he starting to do so. What may be needed in the end is that he need to compromise, his stronger abilities and higher intellect does not have him just decide what the right answer is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote

I have no idea what Shindo's grand plan is for achieving an optimal outcome for all parties concerned, nor am I sure it's going to work given what little was revealed for next week's finale. Whatever it is, his intent is to get zaShunina to back down from sending humanity wholesale into a different dimension and to do that he needs to pacify zaShunina temporarily within the cube. It's not going to be easy and even he admits it, but this is the challenge he has been waiting for all his life and he's not going to shirk from it now.

I find it easier to comprehend zaShunina's actions when I think back to that killer AI that was featured in I, Robot. Same raison d'etre but with a slight difference in that zaShunina is genuinely fond of Shindo and would have liked very much for him to have agreed to the first deal a few episodes ago. It's true humanity won't last forever and that bringing everyone to a different dimension would guarantee humanity's survival after the universe dies out, but that kind of long-term planning is far beyond the ken of ordinary humans and certainly not what the protagonists are looking at.

Hooking in the factory from episode #0 was a nice touch, but is it enough to buy Shindo enough of a fighting chance?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
if as a viewer you were on the fence of zaShunina's yandere status, it is explicitly clear zaShunina still holds a flame for Shindo and has tried countless times to persuade Shindo's clones to join him, and for whatever reason they all ended up failing to give zaShunina the "right answer".

The show has effectively made it clear that Kanata Shinawa will be the one to ascend to the antistropic, while she might not be the one zaShunina would have wanted it will be a compromise to stop his "attack" upon humanity.

Amusingly, her and zaShunina share a trait of a small red hair band on opposite sides indirectly signifying a sort of red string of fate scenario as far as character designs go.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The show has effectively made it clear that Kanata Shinawa will be the one to ascend to the antistropic, while she might not be the one zaShunina would have wanted it will be a compromise to stop his "attack" upon humanity.

Amusingly, her and zaShunina share a trait of a small red hair band on opposite sides indirectly signifying a sort of red string of fate scenario as far as character designs go.

Big assumptions, but all will be revealed next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
I think that it kind of fits that scientist girl might not really think along normal human lines, that she probably has found herself feeling like an outsider to much of the planet, and may welcome the chance to shake off her flimsy human sides for the weirdness she is, and perhaps could entertain the antistropic. Rather than making the decision for them, a few that might fit with it could be okay.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
#12 End

Whatever one might think of the ending, I'll be surprised to find anyone who actually predicted how the finale was going to pan out. They say the most dangerous assassins are not the ones who are most skilled, but the ones who are most willing to lay down their lives to ensure a plan succeeds. It is almost ironic that zaShunina's gifts were used against him by the very lower-dimensional beings he looks down upon.

FenixFiesta wrote:

So how do you like them apples? Few viewers outside of those familiar with the language bother with episode titles, but that was the smallest hint for what was going to happen this episode which just about everyone bar the producers failed to predict.

Thinking back to Hanamori's reaction a few weeks ago, it makes perfect sense he reacted the way he did if Shindo revealed what the secret plan involved. It's a HUGE ask but Shindo has a firm grasp of human relationships and realised he could only trust one person to fulfil the role that was required.

The ending might seem to be a cop-out since everything is returned to the state it was in (bar one person who's gone for an extended field trip). But the series as a whole probably lost its way slightly from its original showcase of the art of negotiation. It's still an entertaining watch but not one for mindless fun. It remains unique and I don't see a copycat series emerging any time soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
I've rated this title as Decent. Considering it seemed well on its way to either an Excellent or Very Good rating when it started out, that's a disappointment for me. It's not that I dislike the show and I'm not as down on it as some people became, but at a certain point the show went from a "can't wait to see the next episode!" experience to, "well, there's only a few episodes left, may as well finish it." I can't help feeling the show blew a lot of potential and my "Decent" rating is more a reflection of that - wasted potential - than of a serious demerits.

I'd like Cute Scientist Gal to get her own show, though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Its kind of messed up, a girl who was raised in a pocket dimension solely to fight zaShunina.
But I guess desperate times called for truly desperate measures.

It is obvious zaShunina got truly pissed by the concept that Shindo hooked up with Saraka, even Shindo declining to ascend to the antistropic did not get a true reaction out of zaShunina.

It can also be said our last minute character had two fathers, the one that raised her and the one being busy settling things with zaShunina.

So yeah, this has been Yaoi fangirl bait and a half as far as doujin potential is concerned.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think dismissing this title as "Yaoi fangirl bait" is a bit excessive. The homoerotic overtones didn't really kick in until pretty late in the game. (Previous to that, only the barest whiff was in the air.)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
They definitely turned them up to 11 for the finale, though. Bad guy gets rejected by his boyfriend and is NTRed to death.

I love the idea that after all that talk about negotiation, the actual right answer was to develop a biological superweapon to obliterate the bad guy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And fail. At the very end the show trips under its own ideas, and finishes with a mess with its own themes. While some bits were cool, it is now that I will challenge the logic. She spent her life in an accelerated time bubble, so does this mean she practically spent her life as a prisoner with only one man who to talk to? I thought that we kind of saw Tsukai's anistropic nature was not biological, that it spread from various forms of life, not something that could be replicated by just mating? How did she become a higher dimension being when apparently Anistropic beings had to lose dimensions to enter our universe, zaShunina using some sort of workarounds? With such high dimensions that she could know all of the rules of the universe, could she learn that while cooped up in the bubble, and not be seen by zaShunina? Was her bubble outside of Kado, because this episode was set inside of it, so couldn't the rules not be so friendly to Yukika? I got the general impression that zaShunina had himself connected to Kado as a sort of lifeline, where most of his dimensions that could not exist in the universe would stay if he had that form venture fourth, but inside he was pretty whole. Just the general nature of Yukika that they explained sounds like a total gamble, that if she had some of what they predicted, then it could have done something akin to dividing by zero in the universe. Could they count that she wouldn't just destroy everything as part of being annoyed from being cooped up?

I tried to be positive with this show, it had some smart ideas, but starting from its good first episode that was all about negotiation without high concept ideas, where it then went heavy into high concept ideas, ending it with a destroy the alien was not very thematically astute. I think that it was trying to be poetic in there, but in general this kind of felt like some producer came in with ideas that there should be magic battles, that there should be a surprise love child, and they will have the best of both sides because that stuff happens in anime. It does not even sound logically consistent, it would have made as much sense if a future Shindo that had become part of the anistropic had stepped in, with the nature of knowledge on higher dimensions overcoming time even of anistropics. Was this why we had the daughter and father scenes? Because they really were not needed to tie into the end like this.

I give a final rating of Decent (6/10), which is not bad, but with how this started it is not a good sign. It was not even that it did not tie together its themes quite of negotiations, but that it kind of went so simple. Really looking at the themes in the show of dimension aliens, you can overlap this with Lovecraftian creatures, that taking a glimpse of really could bend your mind of what a human could think. Benign aliens are an interest departure in some ways, but it did not even end there, by end you could have been just as good with cosmic horror, which is kind of what it had between its parts that were instead woven into a sort of cosmic hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6