• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Earns US$7.3 Million in 2nd Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Things just got more grim for it this weekend. $40 million domestic may even be out of play now, especially with the upcoming competition, as well as $200 million worldwide as it did not do that well in China. China is the most front-loaded market there is, and this movie is screwed with The Fate of the Furious coming out there this upcoming weekend, the sequel to the top imported film there of all-time.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=fast7.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

In Japan it's also not going to breakout. The Fate of the Furious (or should I say, Wild Speed: Ice Break) doesn't come out there until April 28, so it'll have some time, but it won't be of that much help.
http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/3478-japan-wknd-actuals-your-name-claims-fourth-weekend-record-breaking-harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stones-15-year-record/?do=findComment&comment=2950458

BTW, you may want to use this link in the article so those in the future looking at the past don't see the most recent chart for whatever weekend just passed. It's important to use the links that link to a specific date because the link in the article changes all the time (Ex: Like CR's lineup page link).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2017&wknd=14&p=.htm

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Too bad...I liked the movie and hope we get a sequel
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime: Three things: 1) This is probably the first time audiences have seen Ghost in the Shell-anything legally in China. 2) The Chinese never got The Matrix during its original theatrical run, outside of pirated copies. 3) Assuming Fast does take off there next weekend, there could still be a spillover crowd for GITS for audiences who can't get in, due to sold-out shows. Either way, before you call it for the new Fast movie, wait to see what is said about GITS on Chinese social media.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Sounds about right. When you have to hide your film from critics, you know you're desperate.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
They didn't have to hide their film from critics. They just didn't have the money to pay for good reviews like the Doctor Strange people.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Went and saw this last night..
It exceeded my expectations.. worth checking out before it disappears.
IG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Well aleast it made back its 110 million so it won't be a bomb . Just a film that won't make any profit
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Saw the 3D version Saturday and loved it. It was better then I expected. But, for the first time in my life, I was the only patron in the theatre! I'm glad I got to see this, especially in 3D, before it's gone and I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear by the end of this week.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Well...There goes any hope of live-action GitS ever making any profit. I guess Scarlett Johansson's star power really did help wonders...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
The Fate of the Furious (or should I say, Wild Speed: Ice Break)

What a pointless name change. And they say we're guilty of this.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BigOnAnime: Three things: 1) This is probably the first time audiences have seen Ghost in the Shell-anything legally in China. 2) The Chinese never got The Matrix during its original theatrical run, outside of pirated copies. 3) Assuming Fast does take off there next weekend, there could still be a spillover crowd for GITS for audiences who can't get in, due to sold-out shows. Either way, before you call it for the new Fast movie, wait to see what is said about GITS on Chinese social media.
It's still not going to be enough even if that does somehow happen. Look at Passengers which opened similar to Gits. The Fate of the Furious is also set to be absolutely massive.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=passengers2016.htm

The combined budget of the movie's production cost and P&A (print and advertising) is $250 million. It needs to gross WAY, WAY more in order to recover those costs. Remember, you get only half of the gross, and in China, unless it's a Chinese co-production, you get only 1/4 of the box office. Universal did not make $100 million in profits from China for Furious 7 despite how well it did there. I recommend looking at this.
http://chinafilminsider.com/how-important-is-china-to-hollywoods-bottom-line/
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well...There goes any hope of live-action GitS ever making any profit. I guess Scarlett Johansson's star power really did help wonders...
The thing is, save for Lucy (which had an interesting premise and also Morgan Freeman), all her hits have been MCU movies where she's not the main the star. Also star power isn't that much of a thing anymore. Many Avengers stars struggle at the box office when they're not playing their MCU character. Ex: Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr.
belvadeer wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
The Fate of the Furious (or should I say, Wild Speed: Ice Break)

What a pointless name change. And they say we're guilty of this.
Well it's always been known as Wild Speed there.
-Wild Speed
-Wild Speed X2
-Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift
-Wild Speed Max
-Wild Speed: Mega Max
-Wild Speed: Euro Mission
-Wild Speed: Sky Mission
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Well it's always been known as Wild Speed there.
-Wild Speed
-Wild Speed X2
-Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift
-Wild Speed Max
-Wild Speed: Mega Max
-Wild Speed: Euro Mission
-Wild Speed: Sky Mission

After you shared the link, I assumed as much.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
The thing is, save for Lucy (which had an interesting premise and also Morgan Freeman), all her hits have been MCU movies where she's not the main the star. Also star power isn't that much of a thing anymore. Many Avengers stars struggle at the box office when they're not playing their MCU character. Ex: Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr.

Interesting...Perhaps being a movie star isn't as thrilling as I thought...

What does "MCU" stand for, anyhow?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Marvel
Cinematic
Universe
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Marvel
Cinematic
Universe

Alright, thanks! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2