• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So two of my "troll" picks (Eromanga Sensei and Clockwork Planet) made it through and Gabriella is going to be reviewing Sagrada Reset best of luck on that one. Also nice to see Grimoire of Zero get picked up as well as Alice & Zoroku which I was a little worried about because it's so low key and surreal at times.

Also nice to see Tsukigakirei get picked up and that Nick is reviewing it. As even though he liked Seiren less than me his reviews where thoughtful and at least respected the series so he feels like a great choice for someone to review that series which like Seiren is another lowkey romance series. I wish I could make myself care about Utena but I have tried to watch it four times and the farthest I have gotten is eight episodes in I just do not like Ikuhara's direction style or visual story telling it's too "post modern" for my taste.

That's not to say it's weird, for me weird is something like Excel Saga or Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo Utena and the other works in Ikuhara's library of work too artisanal for lack of a better term. Who knows this may actually prod me to finish the series.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I said this a couple seasons ago as well, but it's possible people voted like I do, and vote for what they think could potentially be good, or at least be interesting to read/write about.

I definitely vote this way, just for the record.

Also, did I get my wires crossed? I thought the Classic Streaming reviews were intended for a reviewer who's never seen the series, but I could swear Jacob said he'd seen both the Utena anime and its movie (and I remember the crossover review for that in particular.) Not that I'm complaining (more Utena love is always good!), I'm just confused.

Parsifal24 wrote:
I wish I could make myself care about Utena but I have tried to watch it four times and the farthest I have gotten is eight episodes in I just do not like Ikuhara's direction style or visual story telling it's too "post modern" for my taste.

Honestly, I couldn't make it through without something like Josei Next Door's Newbie recaps or Vrai's spoileriffic recaps to help me out, but that's because I'm really oblivious to cinematic symbolism while I'm watching. I do think Utena in particular lends itself better to weekly viewings peppered by discussions in between that let the viewer really digest and think about what they just saw. But that's just my take. ^^; Though there's definitely an important scene that loses a lot of context because a roadsign goes untranslated. Can't remember if that's still an issue in the latest DVD release. >.> But having someone who knew enough Japanese to point that out was...enlightening, to say the least. ^^;

Last edited by whiskeyii on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Damn. Two of my shows didn't make the cut. The seven sins one and the battle highschool one with the weird name. The other six is in at least.

Armed GIrls Machiavellism? Yeah, I'm bummed too. I voted for that because the first-episode reviews were so negative, I wanted to see more of that. (I apologize if you genuinely like the show though.)

All of the other ones I voted for made it though. As far as the well-liked stuff, I was hoping for Kado and My Hero Academia. For the latter, it looks like Sam Leach's series to review won't be changing this time around.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
This season I'm surprised more by what made it rather than what didn't. I never expected Clockwork Planet, Sagrada or Eromanga to get picked up (ordered in most to least surprised). They are three of the closest to the chopping block personally (with Machiavellianism) and I watch most shows every season.

That Clockwork Planet made it was the mild surprise for me, and it is the show with the lowest community rating (currently a 2.6) to make the cut. (Sagrada Reset is, I believe, the next-lowest at a 2.9.)

Oh, and expect that episode reviews for Re:Creators will start this week. I'll be working on today's episode once the day's Preview Guide work is done.

EDIT:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Armed GIrls Machiavellism? Yeah, I'm bummed too. I voted for that because the first-episode reviews were so negative, I wanted to see more of that. (I apologize if you genuinely like the show though.)

I'm actually thankful that dreck didn't get inflicted on any reviewer. I watched the second episode of it, and it wasn't an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kado and that's the only show I care about this season. It keeps my attention.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the classic streaming reviews are continuing but voting on it like last season would have been nice. Given the anniversary, it seems appropriate so it's fine. I probably won't follow the reviews as I have already seen Utena recently enough that I don't feel the need to rewatch it yet.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah that Tsuki Ga Kirei made the cut! Its iced-coffee scene sold me to its merits almost immediately.

The (sadly region-locked) Utena is quite tempting as well. Dare I violate a personal principle and risk using a proxy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm actually thankful that dreck didn't get inflicted on any reviewer. I watched the second episode of it, and it wasn't an improvement.

The setting is dumb as a brick, but it intrigues me what the story intends to do, far from the wreck that was last season (googles already forgotten name) Hand Shakers where I could not see beyond the introductory scene, did James Beckett got healthcare for reviewing those episodes?

Zin5ki wrote:
The (sadly region-locked) Utena is quite tempting as well. Dare I violate a personal principle and risk using a proxy?

Then install the opera web browser, it includes a free vpn that does the trick (sadly not good enough for the likes of hulu/yahoo view).

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wait is this actually a season where James doesn't have to suffer for our amusement? That can't be right; someone find trash for him to review ASAP!

And wow, a season where I get everything I care about reviewed. I never thought this would happen.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly surprised that The Royal Tutor made the cut but Kabukibu! didn't. Well, i've voted for both, so i'm glad at least one made it, along with pretty much everything else i picked.

This is turning out to be a fairly busy season for me, to a large part thanks to the many sequels or ongoing series, but there are still some new shows that managed to pique my interest.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
So I guess clockwork is this season chaos dragon, big shoes to fill after last season "wonderful" hand shakers. Will it race to the bottom or try to claws it's way upward, we shall see!
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Damn. Two of my shows didn't make the cut. The seven sins one and the battle highschool one with the weird name. The other six is in at least.

I did generally like the show, the premise has been done to death but the execution was slightly above average or it might be that the empress chick reminded me of Jormungand, either way I liked it.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like everything I voted for got through, which isn't a surprise seeing they were all getting good user ratings. I actually forgot to fill the rest of the choices with stinkers, but its good to see some got in (looking at you, Akashic blahblahblah).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well all of the shows that I wanted got picked except for Seven Mortal Sins but I wasn't expecting that series to get reviewed anyway since it is the uncensored version. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Very happy Atom got in, I was worried for that one, so here's to hoping the show is good. Also very happy that Kado got in, that was honestly the show I was most scared would miss the cutoff, so I'm happy it's in. After seeing the latest episode I'm pretty certain that's my favorite non-sequel, so I'm happy to see it covered.

Other than that, I'm certainly excited to read Gabriella's Rage of Bahamut and Nick's Eccentric Family reviews, those should be some good reads, and Jacob's Utena reviews give me a great reason to start watching that show, been meaning to for ages.

Yeah, really glad to see those two shows get in. Wasn't totally sure they'd make it.

Yeah, I'm especially looking forward to following Bahamut after the great surprise that was the great first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5