• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Dubs anohana Anime Series, Announces Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
-Stares at my NIS America Sub Only box set- Oh... This is awkward...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Didn't honestly think Anohana was popular enough to get a release from them at all. I'm really pretty surprised. I know it's a critical darling, and I love it myself, but I don't really see it doing that well at AoA prices. I guess a dub will help.
I'm more encouraged by the announcement for Magi, honestly. This is them going back on a previously stated policy that they weren't going to go back and do BD releases for any of their DVD stuff, so it gives me an ever-so-slight amount of hope that other shows they have might get the same treatment. Not really counting on it, but it doesn't seem as impossible now. I'm not swimming in money though, so it'll have to be something I'm actually more interested in than Magi and I already have the NISA Anohana PE, so yeah, sorry AoA, I won't be sending any money your way. Give me SamFlam, Mushi-shi, and Zvezda and I'll give you every penny I have.
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
The exact same thing happened with Toradora, greedy company quickly licenses it and gets a few bucks, yet many people are dub only watchers and prefer it to the line reading and hearing jibarissh.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Oh, I can't wait to bawl like a baby again...

But I swear, if AoA splits this into a two-part release like they did with Persona 4 Golden: The Animation, i'm refusing to buy anything else from them.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
SpiritBomb1991 wrote:
The exact same thing happened with Toradora, greedy company quickly licenses it and gets a few bucks, yet many people are dub only watchers and prefer it to the line reading and hearing jibarissh.

You're not seriously calling NIS America a "greedy company" for Toradora, are you? They did both a standard and collector's release for their sub-only version of Toradora, a show that wasn't some drop-everything monster hit (and this was in 2010, when the industry was still in a slump after the 2008 global financial crisis), and only later went back to do a dub when it was clear there was an audience for it. The same thing happened with Clannad, where Sentai did a sub-only release of both seasons of that, and only after it took off were they able to scrape together the money (along with English-language licensees in other regions, IIRC) to do a dub.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
This is good news for people who need or want dubs and for anyone who missed it the first time around.

That's a check mark in both boxes for me. I always kept the complete set from Nisa in my wish list at Right Stuf just in case they found one hidden in a closet somewhere. I am however not thrilled to be spend over $100 for a single series in this day an age. Given how fast this will probably sell I will more than likely buy the set but I will grumble all the way to the bank as I do.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the problem. We seem to be well passed the point where they can be stopped from these absurd prices and they don't seem to care how much they sell (since they can always claim they sold out) and don't mind letting their stuff go out of print to artificially mess with the price.

Magi (with it's great dub) finally getting blu-rays. But it's so expensive dammit (as expected).
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Magi (with it's great dub) finally getting blu-rays. But it's so expensive dammit (as expected).
I dunno, $120 retail for 25 episodes on each set seems much better than their normal pricing. Then again, I could spend the same for the Toradora Complete Series collection and get some amazing physical extras along with it as well.

Still, better than usual
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
I dunno, $120 retail for 25 episodes on each set seems much better than their normal pricing. Then again, I could spend the same for the Toradora Complete Series collection and get some amazing physical extras along with it as well.

Still, better than usual

Yeah, good call, I jumped the gun and was actually just thinking about that after dinner, it really is better than their usual insanity (like Durarara x2's 5-6ep $100 sets/$80 with Rightstuf), since they are both 25 ep sets.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am also a big fan of the show, but sadly I don't think it is popular enough for AoA to go back and release it on BD, much less dub it. I would upgrade my DVD's only if it is released on BD and dubbed.

Yeah, that's probably the case, it didn't really make it big. Though I'd been hoping for blu-ray, for those visuals, with a dub back when the show first came out (also it sharing some staff with Bones' FMA team had me hoping Funi would get it at the time due to the likeliness of it then receiving both a BD and a dub), and never ended up buying it since it ended up DVD only.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
My solution to Aniplex USA's price gouging is to import from the UK, it requires some hoop jumping to play them but it's worth it to me for the price drop alone!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Still, better than usual

I really hope that does well for them. Both because that price point is actually excellent, and because I want them to go back and do the same with other shows. I don't have the money to spend on something that I haven't seen, even though I will probably enjoy it, but I hope the fans show up for that. Every time I go to a convention there is some kind of Magi panel, so I know they exist.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks at NISA Bluray/DVD box-set, While this is nice I'm not going to double dip for a series I only watch once a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dangit how am I suppose to pay off my garage with all this awesome anime be released in dubbed and blue-ray. Sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
My solution to Aniplex USA's price gouging is to import from the UK, it requires some hoop jumping to play them but it's worth it to me for the price drop alone!

The UK release of Magi is full of problems so importing that show is not a good idea.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
AoA is well aware of their outrageous prices. One would think by now they would be willing to put most of their catalog on Amazon Video or Hulu (dub and dub) to appease fans. However, the licensing agreement probably bars that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3