• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, that's embarrassing! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Yeah, Hades = Pluto, not Uranus, and I have no idea where my brain was. Crying or Very sad

I do stand by the "a certain god being in charge of the dungeon" thing as being significant, though!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Lefia's voice being so annoying, it's just pathetic watching her chase after Aiz, especially with the knowledge that it's not going to happen as long as Bell's in the picture, and he's not going anywhere.

I'm not even sure what the writers think I'm supposed to get out of this. Identifying with unrequited love? Sorry, no. People who aren't stalkers know when to move on. Nostalgia for infatuation? Nope. Not something I care to fondly revisit. Sympathy? Not when she's that irritating. She's cute when she flails? Schadenfreude isn't cute, and I don't hate her enough to feel that anyway.

Is there anyone who really likes her who can explain why? At least then I won't be left wondering why they wrote this.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Aside from Lefia's voice being so annoying, it's just pathetic watching her chase after Aiz, especially with the knowledge that it's not going to happen as long as Bell's in the picture, and he's not going anywhere.

I'm not even sure what the writers think I'm supposed to get out of this. Identifying with unrequited love? Sorry, no. People who aren't stalkers know when to move on. Nostalgia for infatuation? Nope. Not something I care to fondly revisit. Sympathy? Not when she's that irritating. She's cute when she flails? Schadenfreude isn't cute, and I don't hate her enough to feel that anyway.

Is there anyone who really likes her who can explain why? At least then I won't be left wondering why they wrote this.

The directors&writers felt the adaption needed Lefiya to provide comedy against Aiz deadpan response or playing as a tsukkomi/straight man,perhaps.
Loki's grabassery is toned down some,she is showing a deeper, more serious side.But then again Fin so far is playing a minor role,and we still have Tione's antics towards Fin.

For myself Lefiya is on the verge of being a sexual predator vs a comedic foil to Aiz's deapan portrayal.

Real question is what is the Japanese fans/viewers take on this character?
do they find this type of character funny&enjoyable?
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Uranus did get mentioned in the last series but only right at the end. He is supposed to be the first god that descended to the mortal realm and the one responsible for creating the cap (town and tower) over the dungeon to contain it as well as the whole Familia and dungeoneering society.

His familia are the ones that run the (guild was it called?), the beauracrats that advise dungeoneers and exchange the looted crystals for money (the crystals serving as a power source for things like the technological equivalent of gas lamps).

The last series hinted that the dungeon itself was sentient and responded violently to the presence of the removal of gods limiter within itself. Its almost like Uranus and the Dungeon are fighting a covert war against each other. You will remember the gods while they are on earth are forbidden from using their own powers apart from endowing the champion their favour and from going in to the dungeon themselves possibly as it would produce just such a reaction from the dungeon.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

well, you see, "lesbians"

At any rate, while Lesbell's not my favorite character her earnestness and kindness are endearing, especially when she helps other characters with their issues. It works better when she's a support like in the source as opposed to the anime where she's the main character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
So you like her just because she's a lesbian? oO

My question wasn't so much why she's in the story, but why they wrote her character to be so annoying and pathetic. What do people like about her (or the writers thought they would like about her) the way she is and why? If Aiz reciprocated, she'd be a lesbian too (or bi), but she doesn't make me want to drop her off a cliff in the deepest dungeon level (her armor is another matter).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
No, that's why other people like her, like being disappointed when the female player character isn't used for jrpg anime.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My question wasn't so much why she's in the story, but why they wrote her character to be so annoying and pathetic. What do people like about her (or the writers thought they would like about her) the way she is and why? If Aiz reciprocated, she'd be a lesbian too (or bi), but she doesn't make me want to drop her off a cliff in the deepest dungeon level (her armor is another matter).

Does Lefiya actually have a lot of fans? She ranks pretty low on my list of favorite female characters in the franchise.

Anyway, as expected the focus shifts much more to Aiz with episode 5, though it's still being cast more from Lefiya's perspective here than in the novel. The fight scenes were trimmed down a lot but still got across the essence of what was going on pretty well and the episode still ended about exactly where I thought it would. Since there's really not much else to cover in the second novel beyond Aiz's following scene with Bell (as seen in episode 5 of the main series), that must mean that episode 6 is mostly going to be the full version of the upcoming fight scene. Looking forward to that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Does Lefiya actually have a lot of fans?

I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse, but afaik, she doesn't, which is why I'm asking why the writers made her so annoying. What were they going for? Who were they writing her for? "Because lesbians" is not really an answer.

That's also why I specifically asked for someone who actually does like her as she is to provide some insight as to what draws them to her, since we can't really know what the writers were thinking, and people who don't like her are just speculating. I can speculate myself, but I'd rather hear from her fans first hand.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series, but it feels like they are cutting a lot from the novels.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I would kill to play a dungeon crawler set in this world, something in the vein of Lands of Lore or Legends of Grimrock using this setting and combat system would be amazing. E.g. you gradually work your way down through the dungeon exploring the levels going deeper each time while you rest and prepare between expeditions in the town where you could have some narrative elements running in parallel to the canon plot.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not only is she strong enough to break Finn's finger and vicious enough to try and parasitically infect Aiz with her weird monster baby egg

It was interesting how the tentacle dreadlock baby reacted to Aiz and fused with a monster. Hopefully the anime provides more insight into spoiler[Aiz's possibly non-human heritage, though that's doubtful since it cut out the foreshadowing about her mother possibly being a god's avatar.]

As for the episode itself, it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be (that bland wind animation, please no), but it was far better than the other episodes. Here's to hoping Aiz's fight with Udaeus looks better than Udaeus this episode because hoo boy.
tatere

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Did Episode 6 seem really washed out for anyone else? It was like half the screen was glare through the whole thing.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
tatere wrote:
Did Episode 6 seem really washed out for anyone else? It was like half the screen was glare through the whole thing.

Twas on purpose,a good part of the episode is a series of flashbacks.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Aiz's fight with Udaeus was waaaaaaay better in the manga. The manga fight was truly a life and death struggle worthy of a Rank 6 breakthrough. The anime battle was shallow and Udaeus didn't even feel all that threatening. Such a waste, especially since this was a very important battle for Aiz. In the manga you really get a sense that Aiz is overcoming herself, whereas in the anime it was just a "harder than usual" battle.

In the manga Aiz's sword hand wasn't even recognizable after she pushed herself past the limit to deal the critical blow to Udaeus. Arms broken, ribs broken, armor shattered, teetering on the edge of death among a sea of skeleton soldiers summoned by Udaeus (which was completely omitted in the anime). Riveria actually had to heal Aiz midway otherwise she would've died, that's how serious it was.

This is just a sad adaptation. Manga >>> Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9