• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Reveals More Details About Fate/Grand Order Game's Release in U.S., Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:

Wouldn't newbies be more likely to play with more content though? New players don't want to drag their heels through a game while they wait for content, they want loads of content to play through so they're not stuck waiting months for more. Mobage games are supposed to improve over time, and Grand Order had a notoriously poor launch. Recreating that is just madness that I feel stems from laziness (if it doesn't do very well, they can just pull the plug on the US version before finishing translating the story, or decide to machine translate the rest of the story if they're not already, rather than translate everything up to date and it terms out a turd).

Nothing about this strikes me as appealing to new players. I know some new players who are more interested in the later content, and won't pick it up until it reaches that point, so I'm not sure why I see this argument so often.
you're reasoning is extremely flawed, they can't just pump out all the content at once. They are trying to see what the userbase is like for America, they can't release all the content and if the game does poorly over in the u.s. it would mean that they spent a lot of time and money on a failed port without anything to show for it. Also why should they get the later content so early despite the Taiwanese and Chinese servers had to start from scratch? Both are growing and will probably be more profitable than the English version. Just because you think it's a good idea even though shiokawa specifically stated that it would be more difficult to create a patch for the server, because they would have to update the English patch while also updating the game like they usually do for the jp server. Meaning that they would have to spend much more time just to have a English translation on their server for a small number of English speakers to making it inconvenient for millions of other people waiting for more content and having to take longer to update the game.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}

Last edited by Kuro shinigami on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Wait... WHAT?!?
Sombody pinch me I must be dreaming.
But seriously I can't believe this actually got a western release. I told myself the only way to play this game would be to learn Japanese and with that ova released a while back I thought that would be the closest I'd get to finding out the story behind grand order.

Well time to start saving the couple of cents I get from doing those google surveys so when the game comes out I can spend it.
Yup by that time I might just have 5 dollars, probably enough for one extra pull if it follows the pattern of mobile games.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Kuro shinigami wrote:
you're reasoning is extremely flawed, they can't just pump out all the content at once. They are trying to see what the userbase is like for America, they can't release all the content and if the game does poorly over in the u.s. it would mean that they spent a lot of time and money on a failed port without anything to show for it.

That's more or less my point. I feel like it's not a decision made to appeal more to new players as has been suggested, but a financial decision if it doesn't make them as much money as they want.
Kuro shinigami wrote:
Also why should they get the later content so early despite the Taiwanese and Chinese servers had to start from scratch? Both are growing and will probably be more profitable than the English version.

Never said I agreed that the Cinese and Tai versions should have been drip fed content either. My point is starting from scratch isn't likely to appeal to players more than frontloading the content - doesn't matter which region that occurs in.
Kuro shinigami wrote:
Just because you think it's a good idea even though shiokawa specifically stated that it would be more difficult to create a patch for the server, because they would have to update the English patch while also updating the game like they usually do for the jp server. Meaning that they would have to spend much more time just to have a English translation on their server for a small number of English speakers to making it inconvenient for millions of other people waiting for more content and having to take longer to update the game.

Firstly, this game is famous for maintenance debacles. At the start, they were down for what, 48 hours straight at one point? Even just a few months ago, there was a maintenance around 8 hours and similar issues people were having playing the game around that time whenever it did come online. If people have accepted it so far, I don't think they'll mind having to wait another hor or two now and then. Besides, the English patch can simply be implemented as a language option, so it's not like they'd have to treat them as entirely separate when running the weekly maintenance, so any delays it would cause would be rather minimal aside from whenever new story content is added, and even then, not entirely backbreaking. Aside from that, I tend to take whatever they say with a pinch of salt - neither Aniplex nor DW have shown themselves to be particularly reliable or consistent even with what they say, and of course they're going to claim that this way is better for everyone. It's better for them, not the new players, that's all.
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Kuro shinigami wrote:
you're reasoning is extremely flawed, they can't just pump out all the content at once. They are trying to see what the userbase is like for America, they can't release all the content and if the game does poorly over in the u.s. it would mean that they spent a lot of time and money on a failed port without anything to show for it.

That's more or less my point. I feel like it's not a decision made to appeal more to new players as has been suggested, but a financial decision if it doesn't make them as much money as they want.
Kuro shinigami wrote:
Also why should they get the later content so early despite the Taiwanese and Chinese servers had to start from scratch? Both are growing and will probably be more profitable than the English version.

Never said I agreed that the Cinese and Tai versions should have been drip fed content either. My point is starting from scratch isn't likely to appeal to players more than frontloading the content - doesn't matter which region that occurs in.
Kuro shinigami wrote:
Just because you think it's a good idea even though shiokawa specifically stated that it would be more difficult to create a patch for the server, because they would have to update the English patch while also updating the game like they usually do for the jp server. Meaning that they would have to spend much more time just to have a English translation on their server for a small number of English speakers to making it inconvenient for millions of other people waiting for more content and having to take longer to update the game.

Firstly, this game is famous for maintenance debacles. At the start, they were down for what, 48 hours straight at one point? Even just a few months ago, there was a maintenance around 8 hours and similar issues people were having playing the game around that time whenever it did come online. If people have accepted it so far, I don't think they'll mind having to wait another hor or two now and then. Besides, the English patch can simply be implemented as a language option, so it's not like they'd have to treat them as entirely separate when running the weekly maintenance, so any delays it would cause would be rather minimal aside from whenever new story content is added, and even then, not entirely backbreaking. Aside from that, I tend to take whatever they say with a pinch of salt - neither Aniplex nor DW have shown themselves to be particularly reliable or consistent even with what they say, and of course they're going to claim that this way is better for everyone. It's better for them, not the new players, that's all.
it isn't easy to be implemented as a language option as that means they have to update the patch alongside the game therefore they would have to translate the game and have the update ready at the same time, because they frequently update it. And secondly the game doesn't have the same maintenance problems that it had in the beginning, just because we tolerated the server problems shouldn't correlate to us putting up with more maintenance for a small minority of English speakers. Granblue could do it because of the way the servers are updated which makes it easy to patch. Fire emblem heroes had the English version day one so it has it fairly easy as well. They both had the consideration for other countries because they knew people from said countries would play (cygames had already received criticism because of how badly handled their English versions were for several of their previous games and how the translations were both dead and extremely scummy and bugged), not the same with grand order where they were prepared for the game to run for only a year and not be profitable just in Japan because they weren't sure how it would be received. To put it bluntly people had trust in type-moon which is why it survived after the major problems the game had, and putting in a translation would require them to translate the content that is out right now and then update it alongside the jp update so as to minimize the amount of bugs they might have. Then they would need to translate upcoming events and chapters (including character profiles, my room lines, attacks and their np subbing it all into the game) before they are released while trying to maintain quality. Shiokawa did say that the patch is something they are thinking about, but it's not something they can simply implement and they will have to figure out the best way to Create it without causing any issues or being expensive. They don't want to sacrifice the quality of the jp side just to calm the flames of anger for some people who feel that they have every right to have a patch despite the fact they aren't even supposed to play it outside of Japan, because it isn't a global sever like granblue or fire emblem where it would be extremely easy to implement for them. Also sorry if this sounds condescending or passive aggressive, I'm on my phone (I don't have a computer nor the money to pay for one at the moment) and it's not particularly easy to articulate myself with how frustrating my phone is when typing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2