• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
"Everybody loves Beautiful Dreamers"

Ha, except me because I freaking HATED it. Razz

Really, it was the most boring, nonsensical animated thing I've ever watched. Ugh.

Omg, I was starting to think I was the only one. Smile I guess I sorta saw this on SciFi or something. It literally put me to sleep. One minute they were doing some Nazi cosplay (?) for a school festival, then I woke up and there was some kind of Urashima Taro thing going on and I dozed off again before the ending. I tried watching it again a few years later, thinking maybe sleeping through half of it had done it a disservice, but nope, even following how they got into the UT scenario didn't help, and I stopped torturing myself and turned it off.

If Mamoru Oshii is the director, I can understand not liking this film.
Deliberate pacing (SLOW), very artsy-fartsy in ways that don't tell a story THAT well.

I don't think it was my favorite UY film, either... (And I frankly don't remember much of it, period, other than the business with the "world turtle" adapted from Japanese myth.) He directed GiTS: Innocence which is fairly near the top of my LEAST favorite anime features.

Alan45 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
And then we can all hope that Viz is going to pick up the license for dubbing before Bob Woodhead at AE tries another nostalgia Kickstarter stunt.

If you think Viz or anyone else is going to dub all of Urusei Yatsura TV .... I suppose it doesn't hurt to dream the impossible dream. I'd settle for a Bluray version but I don't think that is going to happen either. Keep in mind that Viz gave up on the manga version after two tries.

I wouldn't worry about Bob Woodhead at AnimEigo. So far all of his kickstarters are on shows where he still has the license for the DVD version. The license for UY expired years ago.

Even AnimEigo said UY was NOT a huge moneymaker for them.

AnimEigo is NOT in the business of acquiring new anime now nor are they interested in doing new dubs. Since before 200x, they've basically been in a holding pattern.

I think after 2007, they're essentially "out of the game" and are just releasing that they have.

These Kickstarters are great but they only appeal to people who had their shows on VHS or laserdisc back in the 1990s, or happened to get the DVDs in store when Media Play existed... Media Play was literally the only chainstore I ever saw AnimEigo DVDs carried in!

We were lucky (those of us who BOUGHT the DVDs from them) to get the whole TV series out! The only thing, btw, that is STILL missing from release in the West is the last UY OVA done for the 30th anniversary of Rumiko Takashashi's career as a manga creator. We're more likely to see the 2008 Ranma and Inu Yasha OVA's done for that celebration released and dubbed over here than this final UY OVA or ANY of the other UY TV episodes or OVAs.

They only ever dubbed the UY movies beyond that pilot English dub episode which is VERY easy to found online.

Look -- dubbed UY ain't happening beyond the movies. Right now, only the second UY film is even getting re-released in the West and only because it's a film directed by the guy who also directed the first Ghost in the Shell movie!

AnimEigo DID a UY dub pilot years ago, released it on VHS, and it was a financial failure for AnimEigo and did their reputation no favors. It was an AWFUL dub by any measure. (I think I watched maybe 5 minutes before I stopped playing it and looked elsewhere for entertainment on Youtube. IT WAS BAD!!!) It just wasn't cast and directed well and comedy is probably the hardest thing to translate across language barriers. I think I read somewhere there might have been UY TV episodes dubbed into English for the UK market but that was another company, another dub effort and I somehow doubt that was a "faithful" adaptation.
Looking it up on Wiki, it seems like they only did 2-3 episodes dubbed (new dub, British actors, NOT the AnimEigo pilot) for a special broadcast in the UK on one of the BBC channels. That was different than what I was led to believe... Still, two, three episodes is nothing against a four-year run of nearly 200 episodes.
IF anyone ever did a full-series dub of UY TV in English, it probably would have been for Animax, the anime channel that broadcasts throughout Asia. They've commissioned English dubs for other series like Ranma 1/2 that were separate jobs from the US editions. Not unheard of -- there ARE separate UK and American dubs for Lupin III and Studio Ghibli films.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
If Mamoru Oshii is the director, I can understand not liking this film.
Deliberate pacing (SLOW), very artsy-fartsy in ways that don't tell a story THAT well.

While I don't hate "Beautiful Dreamer", I think "Only You" is actually my favorite UY film and a large part of that is probably Oshii who basically makes it on all these lists seemingly because he's a "film nerd" director. (by which I mean he is an auteur and (supposedly) very technically proficient, but rarely "entertaining")

BTW, this is the GREATEST quote of this series of articles so far:
Mike Toole wrote:
It also helpfully gives Ted a less exotic, more American name: Ricky.
Laughing

And finally, I also appreciate the love for Girls Und Panzer der Film. As noted, it's basically the same plot as the TV series, so in a way, you can totally just watch it as a summary film OF the tv series, but with new, nicer footage. Otherwise, if you've seen the tv series and enjoyed it, then der Film is actually "Girls und Panzer: All Stars". In many ways, if you like any team OTHER than Oarai, der Film possibly does a BETTER job of presenting the characters you like. (the Russian and German (sister) teams are more favorable and debatably more extensive; teams like the Italians and Finnish aren't even IN the tv series; the Brits are maybe equally well presented (as probably the best "non-Oarai" team in the tv series), with arguably only the Americans getting LESS depth)
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter how many people chime in to the opinion of actually hating Urusei Yatsura – Beautiful Dreamer and trying to knock it down from its pedestal, because that movie is considered a classic in Japan. People still talk about it to this day.. That won't change; deal with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda sad not to see Madoka Magica Rebellion on any of the lists (unless I missed it). There's still room, but regardless of what it did to your view of the series, it's still a powerful movie with great visual appeal.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of my all-time favorites are on this list, including Arcadia of My Youth, Urusei Yatsura: Only You, Crusher Joe, and Dirty Pair: Project Eden. Lots of great anime here!

(BTW, IMHO Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair are long, long overdue for new entries/reboots. That there never was a Crusher Joe TV series is a crying shame.)

Rather surprised that none of the Yamato movies have made the list yet (unless I just missed it). I'd expect Arrivadercci Yamato to make the top 25, but New Voyage, Be Forever, and Final are all decent entries and I'd have expected at least one of them to make the mid-list.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

Rather surprised that none of the Yamato movies have made the list yet (unless I just missed it). I'd expect Arrivadercci Yamato to make the top 25, but New Voyage, Be Forever, and Final are all decent entries and I'd have expected at least one of them to make the mid-list.

They'd definitely make my list. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
It doesn't matter how many people chime in to the opinion of actually hating Urusei Yatsura – Beautiful Dreamer and trying to knock it down from its pedestal, because that movie is considered a classic in Japan. People still talk about it to this day. That won't change; deal with it.

I'm not trying to knock it off its pedestal, just saying I'm not worshiping at the foot of that pedestal. That lots of people like it, including the Japanese, has no bearing on whether it's for me or not, and it's fine with me if people do like it. Deal with that.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It seems that the consensus on Patema Inverted is that it offers little of distinction beyond its initial premise.

Yasuhiro Yoshiura keeps making the same stories over and over again. Patema Inverted was basically a feature length version of Pale Cocoon. And Time of Eve was a feature length version of Aquatic Language. At least in Patema's case, I think it really was better off left as a short. He didn't really fill in the story enough to justify a whole movie.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm kinda sad not to see Madoka Magica Rebellion on any of the lists (unless I missed it). There's still room, but regardless of what it did to your view of the series, it's still a powerful movie with great visual appeal.

As I noted at the beginning, I think this is why he SHOULD have released it all as one big list, or at "worst" started with the top and going down. I expect to see some more "well known" names in the "top 25". If nothing else, I'll consider it something of a travesty if Project A-Ko doesn't make the list.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:

They'd definitely make my list. Smile

You would hope that at the very least Saraba Uchu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshitachi (Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato: Warriors in the Name of Love, also known as Arrivederci Yamato) would make the list. It's considered by a very large proportion of Japanese Yamato fans to be the canonical ending to Yamato, and said fans pretty much consider any subsequent Yamato TV series or movie up to Resurrection to be non-existent. I'd be interested to see how many of them went back and watched 2199 and are now actually getting into 2202.

The other Yamato movies are pretty entertaining, and while I have issues with certain plot elements of Final Yamato, it is visually spectacular, and does give Yamato a fine sendoff. And, until the release of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya, it was the world's longest animated feature film. It's far from a waste of 163 minutes. Unlike sitting through Angel Egg twice with a 20-something-minute break inbetween - that's 163 minutes of your life you're not getting back.

It actually amazed me that the external article this article series is comparing to doesn't include a single Yamato film in its list. I hope that won't be the case here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Quote:
These Kickstarters are great but they only appeal to people who had their shows on VHS or laserdisc back in the 1990s, or happened to get the DVDs in store when Media Play existed... Media Play was literally the only chainstore I ever saw AnimEigo DVDs carried in!

AnimEigo DVDs were always available on AE's website, still are for that matter. Also Right Stuf! and other online retailers carried them. Even when DVDs first came out you had to be willing to order online to get a full range of anime and not just from AE. Further, Best Buy carried some of AE's DVDs. That is where I first found the music video DVD from Bubble Gum Crisis.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
You would hope that at the very least Saraba Uchu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshitachi (Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato: Warriors in the Name of Love, also known as Arrivederci Yamato) would make the list. It's considered by a very large proportion of Japanese Yamato fans to be the canonical ending to Yamato, and said fans pretty much consider any subsequent Yamato TV series or movie up to Resurrection to be non-existent. I'd be interested to see how many of them went back and watched 2199 and are now actually getting into 2202.

That's interesting, because I remember talking to some Japanese Yamato fans a few years back and they seemed to accept both continuities with few qualms. One of them called it "Matsumoto time", i.e. different continuities for different stories. The only one they didn't really accept was Yamato 2520 (an aborted attempt to restart the Yamato franchise without the original characters).

The other Yamato movies are pretty entertaining, and while I have issues with certain plot elements of Final Yamato,

Like the fact that normal physics plays a mostly non-existent role...

it is visually spectacular, and does give Yamato a fine sendoff.

At a convention in the 1980s where I was running an anime program, I ran Final Yamato to a mostly packed room. Towards the end the whole audience beganspoiler[ humming the Yamato theme mournfully as it slowly sank back into the ocean.]

I suppose this is the moment to lament the fact that the Voyager DVD releases of the Yamato films are terrible and I really wish someone would re-issue them in the US on BluRay. Off the original Japanese masters, in Stereo. Discotek, are you listening?
Alan45 wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
Quote:

AnimEigo DVDs were always available on AE's website, still are for that matter. Also Right Stuf! and other online retailers carried them. Even when DVDs first came out you had to be willing to order online to get a full range of anime and not just from AE. Further, Best Buy carried some of AE's DVDs. That is where I first found the music video DVD from Bubble Gum Crisis.

Yeah, I was going to say: Best Buy had plenty of AnimEigo releases. So did Suncoast. In the early 2000s both had substantial Anime sections that pretty much carried everything that was coming out at the time.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a great list. I missed the last ones. Some of these films I have seen but others I haven't. Some I own and haven't had the chance to watch. But there are so many on this list that need releases so people that missed out can have a chance to enjoy them.

It's funny that of the two films on this list that pay homage to Miyazaki are Makoto Shinkai's 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices' and Yasuhiro Yoshiura's 'Patema'. It's funny how there are several films that follow what I call the "blue stone" theme.

Castle in the Sky ~ Laputa
Nadia - Secret of the Blue Water
Atlantis
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Patema

Patema to Castle in the Sky, Atlantis to Nadia (with a combination of Stargate) and Children Who Chase Lost Voices borrows ideas from numerous works by Miyazaki.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
It just wasn't cast and directed well and comedy is probably the hardest thing to translate across language barriers. I think I read somewhere there might have been UY TV episodes dubbed into English for the UK market but that was another company, another dub effort and I somehow doubt that was a "faithful" adaptation.

The infamous BBC dub of Urusei Yatsura! Resplendent with faux regional accents for optimal frivolity! Apparently it was more of a self-aware joke than an earnest endeavour.

russ869 wrote:
Yasuhiro Yoshiura keeps making the same stories over and over again. Patema Inverted was basically a feature length version of Pale Cocoon.

Thank you for the forewarning! Pale Cocoon did little but bewilder me, so I would be better to leave such a film at bay. (Time of Eve was as beautiful and mature as its subject matter could allow though. I have the Blu-ray, but not yet a player for it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Swissman wrote:
It doesn't matter how many people chime in to the opinion of actually hating Urusei Yatsura – Beautiful Dreamer and trying to knock it down from its pedestal, because that movie is considered a classic in Japan. People still talk about it to this day. That won't change; deal with it.

I'm not trying to knock it off its pedestal, just saying I'm not worshiping at the foot of that pedestal. That lots of people like it, including the Japanese, has no bearing on whether it's for me or not, and it's fine with me if people do like it. Deal with that.

Same. It's fine by me if people of Japan (and America) love it. I was just sharing that I didn't....and I'm relieved to know I'm not alone on this forum, at least. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4