• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Eromanga Sensei

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Agree with all you said, and I hope the series actually knows what it wants to be. Hate it when anime teases stuff and doesn't go through with it. If this is trying to have incest stuff, at least go through with it, nothing bothers me more than to have stuff on the back of my mind when watching a series. It makes me doubt the intentions of the creators at every turn...
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope there isn't a fake-out at the end and we don't get the relationship between Masamune and Sagiri. Episode #1 did a terrific job of selling them as the main pair of the series and I'd be terribly disappointed if they didn't get together. The fact that Japanese animation, comics, light novels and video games can combine this sort of subject manner so flawlessly with more generic and platonic relationships is what makes them so fascinating as works of art and entertainment.

It certainly doesn't hurt that all of the characters are self-insert characters!
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was taken aback by the sudden minute-long segment where a middle-school girl expounds at length about her love for dicks at the beginning of this episode. The series wasn't exactly family-friendly in its first episode ('Ero' is right there in the title, after all), but blunt material right at the start like this is jarring, to say the least.

Glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I like sex humor when done right, but this segment was appalling. Almost made me shut it off.

Still giving it a shot, but if it veers towards incest, I'm tapping out Razz
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
At least she's not a blood-related sister this time around. I can deal with that much better than the blood-related incest in Oreimo. Also, at least they went with adopted siblings up front instead of being one of those series that sells them as blood-related for a whole season then reveals in the last scene of the last episode that they're actually not blood-related. Fully expecting this to be adopted sibling incest material though, even if it wasn't created by the Oreimo guy, but it's pretty much guaranteed since it is.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I like sex humor when done right, but this segment was appalling. Almost made me shut it off.

I kept waiting for the punchline where she didn't realize what she was saying -- doesn't "chin-chin" also refer to dogs sitting up and begging or something?

Also, foreshadowing at 2:37 of Episode 1.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Lets hope this time "outside forces" don't interfere and let the author do the ending that he wanted do do. Well been not blood-related siblings will help.

About the firsts episodes. The artistic part is first class and the characters are likeable and the comedy is also good. Lets hope continue like this.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Really no point to reviewing this degenerate garbage.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I've been an anime fan for so long and thus endured the much maligned incest in everything years, but a romance between step-siblings who didn't even really grow up together does not bother me at all. Like I don't even see it as incest. Don't get me wrong, this show has some huge issues, I think the sister being twelve is a WAY bigger problem than how related they are, and is the reason I'll probably not watch this, but I mean no one's outraged at Marmalade Boy and they're step-siblings in that. In fact that one's pretty beloved around here.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Maybe it's because I've been an anime fan for so long and thus endured the much maligned incest in everything years, but a romance between step-siblings who didn't even really grow up together does not bother me at all. Like I don't even see it as incest. Don't get me wrong, this show has some huge issues, I think the sister being twelve is a WAY bigger problem than how related they are, and is the reason I'll probably not watch this, but I mean no one's outraged at Marmalade Boy and they're step-siblings in that. In fact that one's pretty beloved around here.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. It's like people don't know this is fiction... Fictional incest is completely different than real life incest. Depending on how it is done it can be a GREAT boon to the narrative.

And about the dick thing...come on guys, that scene was hilarious.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:

I agree. They aren't related and he only previously met her briefly one time face to face. It isn't incest, and it isn't even close to the 'we grew up as siblings, but it turns out that we aren't blood related so lets have sex' thing some series have done. If there is a potential problem to be had, I would agree about the age issue being it. She seems not only probably too young, but quite a bit younger than him.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:

I agree. They aren't related and he only previously met her briefly one time face to face. It isn't incest, and it isn't even close to the 'we grew up as siblings, but it turns out that we aren't blood related so lets have sex' thing some series have done. If there is a potential problem to be had, I would agree about the age issue being it. She seems not only probably too young, but quite a bit younger than him.
probably a 3/4 year difference? he's probably going with the Genji plan xd
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Really no point to reviewing this degenerate garbage.

This series seems to be one that people enjoy to hate on for very divisive reasons, so it more than deserves a regular review.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a gorgeous looking series, great voice acting, wonderful music but.. I've been here before. I stood up for up for Oreimo seven years ago and still like the series despite how the series ended. I can not do the same here, I will not be fooled into liking a series, it's characters to only get crushed again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mindry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
It's a gorgeous looking series, great voice acting, wonderful music but.. I've been here before. I stood up for up for Oreimo seven years ago and still like the series despite how the series ended. I can not do the same here, I will not be fooled into liking a series, it's characters to only get crushed again.

I agree. But, I'm going to give it a chance. It looks like a familiar formula, with a familiar cast of characters. But I think it's going to be well done and entertaining, in the end. Stay tuned, I say. Wink
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Good to see a reviewer waiting to see where the show will go. Last week it seemed like all the ANN reviewers either had managed to see the whole season already, or built up strawmen of "This is what I think will happen in future episodes, and now I'm going to complain about those future events, as opposed to the content of the first and so far only episode."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8