• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Alice & Zoroku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Interesting a mini 5 episode season-the intermission before the storm perhaps.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The action was nice, but the resolution of the arc was almost a bit too convenient and we didn't really get a lot of answers. Also, that was some especially awkward product placement there...
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Loving this series so far; Alice and Zorouku and Re:Creators are by far my favorites of the season so far, possibly even of the year.

Its pretty obvious this is not the last we'll see of Minnie C, or probably of the mysterious organization that held the children. I guess the other kids are now in the government's custody, so they'll probably show up (on friendlier footing) again quite soon. And its good to see that Sana spoiler[appears to be going to school, since at the end she's clearly in a school uniform.]

Laughed at the blatant product placement of the Snickers bar. Well, the production company has to raise funds somehow. And targeting products that would be familiar not only to Japanese audiences but Western (or at the very least, US) audiences as well is probably a pretty smart move on their part.

I see that this series is listed as 12 episodes, but honestly, it somehow feels like there's much more than that ahead. I'm betting this is only the first season, and we might see a cliffhanger at the end.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Loving this series so far; Alice and Zorouku and Re:Creators are by far my favorites of the season so far, possibly even of the year.

Yeah, unless the rest of this years' anime completely blows me out of the water, Alice and Zorouku will presumably end up somewhere in my top five. I've already pre-ordered the manga off of Amazon, which I normally don't do until after a show finishes airing.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I mean, it's at least not as blatant as Pizza Hut Geass. it feels normal to pull up fast food and candy bars when feeding kids.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone actually knows whether or not that Snickers and Carl Jr are actual paid product placements or just freebies from the animators.

I really haven't seen any other anime that used actual commercial products, without slightly changing the name. Though there probably are some out there.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Just wondering if anyone actually knows whether or not that Snickers and Carl Jr are actual paid product placements or just freebies from the animators.

I really haven't seen any other anime that used actual commercial products, without slightly changing the name. Though there probably are some out there.

Off the top of my head:

-Pizza Hut product placements in Code Geass and Maria Watches Over Us
-Snickers in Nichijou (which is why I think the Snickers bar in this show was probably product placement)
-Pepsi in the Evangelion rebuild movies
-all the musical equipment in K-On

So, there have been a few.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
So a special episode.
A new twist on a re-cap show? or an infomercial?,or both.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
It's not episode 6. It's episode SP, as in special. Smile So while it's recapping, it's not a recap episode, per se.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's not episode 6. It's episode SP, as in special. Smile So while it's recapping, it's not a recap episode, per se.

Well seemed more of a commercial/promotion than a recap lol.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It felt like Episode 6 really nailed everything that this show's creators are trying to accomplish.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I loved this episode. They really nailed down the character dynamics which made for an entertaining watch. The thing is, I'm feeling like this is the calm before the storm. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Also have to say that I chuckled at the opening sentence of the review. "Hot off the heels" sounds funny considering there was a break for a recap episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the episode too, I was not bothered by a lack of action as I found the character dynamics were really well done, although it does feel like it might become heavy somewhat again. I mean, the episode kind of reminded me of Kobayashi-san, specifically in terms of Kanna, a great part of that show, or maybe a bit of Tsumugi from Sweetness and Lightning.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Another comfy episode Very Happy It was a cool little touch having the twins not just embrace life outside the facility but exploring their individuality by taking different clubs. When they first met the scientist they didn't even think of themselves as separate until they looked at their Alice crystals. Nice bit of growth.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
They do a lot of nice "kid" things with Sana that are fun ("I want one that beeps!"). It's hard to tell how much of her "frazzled" is just a child's frustration and how much is related to her insanely early-onset Alzheimer's, but the latter is clearly going to get worse.

I wonder if we'll get any follow up on that couple ordering wedding flowers. It felt like some kind of minor point was being made, given the time spent on it and Zouroku's reaction, but since he didn't say anything, I have no idea what I was supposed to get out of it.

Why did they send the twins to American school?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3