• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Manga Artists Have Any Control Over "Filler" Episodes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
To the critics of Nozawa's Goku, I have to point out that Goku is an alien, so human measures of how someone his age should sound don't apply Razz

Vaisaga wrote:
There are some filler arcs and characters that are created by the original author, but that's usually mentioned as a selling point so I guess it's more of a special feature than a standard one.

There's plenty of good filler out there. I'd say D.Gray-man is a good example. It took bit characters that had little screentime in the manga and give them full backstories so we care a bit more when something happens to them. It actually added to the work rather than simply provide a distraction.

Sometimes filler does get fully embraced by the original author. A Certain Scientific Railgun comes to mind, as after the anime aired the manga started making references to anime original characters and events.

In this case, I tend to point out to Detective Conan, where Aoyama included some originally anime-exclusive characters to manga. The most significant are Takagi and Shiratori, both created by anime creators, but later adopted by Aoyama himself. On the other hands, Aoyama tends to ignore anime-only plot, so, while in anime it is clear that Kaitou Kid already knows Conan's true identity, this is not the case in manga. He also tends to be more strict to literal adaptation of manga plot to anime now, since there were some mistakes early in the anime run, that affected plot and the anime creators had to make some anime-only episodes to cover for future plot holes, which wouldn't happen if they faithfully adapted manga material and did not go their own ways.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
"fans stay interested in the franchise longer," not true... Anyway this may be a recent phenomenon in anime history context and it its a problem that has made shows like Rurouni Kenshin get cancelled in the past. I think a new working model should be design in order to preserve some quality to the anime series. Or just simply give it a rest while more source material is being produce. Fans of Blue Exorcist, Haikyuu! and Attack on Titan can wait years for a second season even if they bitch and moan. Either that or integrate the involvement of the manga artist more, have him draft short arcs that he would like to see animated and know wont have time to illustrate in the serialization. How much time can that take? Brain storm with the animation production team on back stories for the characters etc. and let them take on after that. Fillers destroyed shows like Naruto and Bleach, hope to see some Kai version of them in the future.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Johnny Mendes wrote:
The time of the never ending shonen titles going non stop for years are ending with, One Piece and Detective Conan as one of the few survivors. Japanese TV stations have less and less time schedules for daytime shonen anime and are not investing in that kind of anime as in the past. And with that filler episodes will also be a thing of the past. When the get near the manga they will stop until enough manga chapters are out for a new season.

This would actually be part of the reason I find myself less interested in shows like Attack on Titan and Boku no Hero Academy when they get called the next big shounen.. I'm so used to the 'next big shounen' being a long-running one. So when someone tells me BnHA is the next big longrunner and it only had 13 episodes, I felt underwhelmed

It's got to be at least 50 episodes to me. Something like Gintama or Fairy Tail which did take breaks but continued along for quite awhile is about where I draw the line. Sket Dance had 77 episodes before it ended, though a continuation is probably not happening. .I prefer a series to stick around rather than disappear and lose it's momentum like others have. It's a shame newer franchises aren't following that format as often. Aikatsu, Yokai, and PriPare beng the most recent ones to do it, I believe.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4