• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Megazone 23 Anime Project Plans Crowdfunding for Promo Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know, I think Megazone 23, like the original Bubblegum Crisis, might be too much of a product of its time to revive with a sequel. It's basically THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES: THE ANIME.

Not that I wouldn't at least be curious enough to at least watch a little of the end product, but it's an odd concept to continue like this.

Well, this new project wouldn't be the first time a sequel is made. Compile Heart/Idea Factory made a RPG/Visual Novel game for PS3 called Megazone 23: Blue Garland, which told an alternate universe sequel that ignored Parts II & III, instead telling a story that took place 20 years after Part I, & updated the "world" of the Megazone into a 00s-era environment.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Megazone 23, why hasn't the original been rescued here yet? It's not like the license is tied up like Macross is and you'd think Sentai would get on that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
It's going to be a very tough challenge trying to find fans of 1980s Megazone 23 to support the crowdfunding project, but I hope it will be a success.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
If they use hand-drawn animation for the ships and mecha then I'm sure I'll love it. But I'm betting the chances of that are pretty low. These days only Gundam has that kind of budget put into its mechanical designs.
Given how little money they are asking for, I don't see how they can afford to hire a team of 3DCG animators.
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
The genre entertainment of the original is what sold to the otaku crowd in those days.
Well Otaku is a dirty word in the modem fandom, so even those who are technically Otaku will denounce anything Otaku.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
No Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs? No Thanks!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
isahackjob wrote:

The best episode of Megazone 23 is the one that doesn't have Mikimoto as character designer. That is Megazone 23 Part 2, when the Megazone encounters its epic spoiler[ end ]
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
isahackjob wrote:

The best episode of Megazone 23 is the one that doesn't have Mikimoto as character designer. That is Megazone 23 Part 2, when the Megazone encounters its epic spoiler[ end ]

Technically, they still retained Mikimoto's design for Eve anyway, but that's all. OTOH, the second film is all you need to see, please never see "the third".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2