• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eccentric Family 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the episode of NHK World's Imagine-Nation documentary series featuring The Eccentric Family 2. They discussed lots of small details that I want to share. I don't really consider them spoilers, so I'm not going to tag them:

--They referred to Nidaime ("The Second") as Akadama's "best disciple and heir, and considered his son."... (emphasis mine). They didn't say outright that he was adopted, but that was the implication.

--The second season is based on the second novel in a planned trilogy. At the time of the interview, the third novel wasn't out yet, but the director really wants to adapt the third novel, too, so the studio feels a lot of pressure that it do well enough to warrant another season

--They're trying to be as accurate to the novel as possible, but they did add some things, such as Kinkubo's (Akadama's friend) greater involvement.

--the theme of this season is "consideration towards others"

If anyone else has seen the episode (or read interviews, or even read the novels--why aren't they. Out in English yet?), and noticed details I left out, please share! Thanks!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Ep. 5

I agree with the review the episode was a little uneven, but ended strongly. I still had a terrific time. I like that Gyokuran can be a tough cookie when she wants to be. She adds another flavor to the family dynamic. I'm enjoying the expansion of Akadama and Benten's characters. There was something about seeing them both together supportive of one another that was a nice change from Akadama's first season old pervert routine.

Merida wrote:
From what we've seen (without knowing whatever it was that happened in London, yet), the one doing pretty much all of the "antagonizing" so far has been Benten by invading Nidaime's home, stealing his chaise and acting like a general bitch in his presence...and to me it seemed more like she wanted to fight Nidaime in order to protect her pride not Yasaburo.
Like I said previously my impression is that this is in part about territory, besides the interpersonal stuff. The original 1st student has returned and he has been rude to old Akadama, sets up shop without permission (?), and doesn't recognize Benten as Akadama's apprentice and heir. Basically a new power has moved into the territory and he's not following etiquette in respect to the other powers there. I think he's been plenty antagonizing without going nuts. I also think that Benten stepping in as Akadama's student to take on the fight not only saves the Tanuki's from getting blown away, but is what a first student and heir should do to protect the old Tengu's honor. Sure there might have been some of her pride bound up in taking on the fight, but I don't think that was the only thing going on.

BTW this show doesn't get enough love.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
^Well, if what Agent355 wrote is canon, Benten isn't really "the first student and heir", so before we find out what caused the fight between Akadama and Nidaime, it's hard to tell who's more in the wrong here (plus, my knowledge of tengu customs is admittedly limited Wink)

But yeah, this show definitely deserves more love!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote

I'm guessing, but I believe Nidaime is a title. Yasaburo refers to him as "The Nidaime". Akadama tells Yasaburo in the beginning of the episode that he isn't his son and he's not a Tengu and he isn't the Nidaime. Akadama goes on to state that Benten will inherit the legacy of Nyoigatake Yakushibo. So the Nidaime is the former 1st student (1st student can mean 1st among others, not that he was the first student ever) and Benten became then 1st student ahead of Yasaburo who would probably be second student in the same group (1st student, second student, third student etc, can be considered ranks). Nidaime as "The second" a title can refer to him as second to Akadama. Based on this, I'm guessing again but it seems based on the show Akadama considers Benten his current first student/apprentice and heir. Now how that works with Tengu customs? Can Akadama easily take away the title of Nidaime or is the old Tengu being his usual stubborn self? Would other Tengu accept Benten as heir? I have no clue.

Now I could be completely wrong, which is fine and I'm really eager to find out how this all works. Plus the whole previous meeting in London? When did that occur? During Benten's vacation or even before that? The Nidaime has hated her since then, why is that? As far as who was wrong I'm not sure its reduced to who was wrong first in the past. There's plenty of wrong going around Very Happy and everyone has a ton of pride that makes communication difficult.

What was interesting was how Yasaburo was trying to be very diplomatic and respectful to everyone. He refers to the Nidaime by his title. When Benten asks who he likes more, which is kind of a charged question, he responds by calling her Benten-sama. He tries very hard to diffuse the situation. He is really fulfilling the role of arbitrator something his older brothers cannot do. I also thought that it was interesting that you have a family gathering going on inside the train and Benten is outside separated from them. I think it could reinforce the idea of isolation. She obviously wants to share that chaise with someone, but its hard for most to approach.

Anyways, not trying to be argumentative, just enjoying the guesswork about the show. Wink Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Anyways, not trying to be argumentative, just enjoying the guesswork about the show. Wink Very Happy

No worries, i'm enjoying it, too. Smile

It's interesting that you're calling Yasaburo Akadama's student. Has Akadama ever referred to him as such? It always appeared to me that he considers him to be more of a pretty competent gopher than a student (though technically there might be just a thin line between the two... Wink), but i don't really remember the first season well enough to be sure...whatever's the case, it seems pretty likely that Yasaburo will play an important part in resolving this "tengu war".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
In the first episode he tells Yasaburo, "You were always such a troublesome student," and Yasaburo says something about the more troublesome the student the more the teacher likes them. I think in the flashback scene where Benten is first able to fly among the cherry blossoms, Yasaburo is there to introduce himself at his father's behest, i.e., to become his student then (and fall in love at first sight with Benten. Wink). Wikipedia says all the brothers were his students, but I don't think the anime ever confirmed that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
I'm finally caught up with this show. I had seen the first episode when it came out and then for a variety of reasons fell behind on this and a bunch of other titles. Anyhoo, I was a huge fan of the first season and this second season has not given me any reason to change my opinion. The father-son relationship is obviously a big deal again. The first season was about four brothers coming to terms with the loss of their father and this season is about a father and son who are estranged.

I think Benten is in love with Nidaime. I think she is trying to make sure he and his father reconcile before Akadama dies. Naturally, her methods will be inscrutable to us until near the end when they will suddenly make sense. I'm guessing her trip's purpose was to find Nidaime and ensure he returned to Kyoto from his adopted English home. I wonder if the great sadness that Yasaburo felt when he saw Benten fall was from seeing her defeated or because he realized she's in love with Nidaime or perhaps a bit of both.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
The background art for hell was aamazing
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Mixed feeling about this episode, on one hand it was great, with good art and interesting adventure. On the other hand it's bringing back the Friday club into focus, and that's the part that I've found the most disappointing about S1. You have a group of people, most of which are just old guy, who literally kill a tanuki every years, and the tanuki don't do anything about it, they just consider it part of life. It's just makes it so hard to take any of the drama that comes from it seriously. Doubly so since now the uncle is back in the equation, apparently murder in tanuki world translate into banishment... except nobody even make sure the person actually left so now he's just around.

Worse the episode actually demonstrate an easy way the tanuki could take care of the Friday club, fake testimony or event. The tanuki could just take on the appearance of member of the club, commit a big crime (say rob a bank) at a time that the person wouldn't have an alibi and let the cop take care of the rest. But nope, let just leave these mass murder roaming free... Confused
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Nick wrote:
Quote:
Yasaburo is fascinated by Benten in a certain sense, but he's consistently unwilling to treat her like an actual friend he respects.

I don't think he actually considers her a friend. She's somebody he equal parts admires and fears (and probably desires...), but friendship demands a more even balance of power. She could quite literally eat him alive after all and not in the sexy kind of way... Wink
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

I don't think he actually considers her a friend. She's somebody he equal parts admires and fears (and probably desires...), but friendship demands a more even balance of power. She could quite literally eat him alive after all and not in the sexy kind of way... Wink

To add to your statement, I don't think Yasaburo will ever see Benten in friendly light, no matter how much her character develops (if she ever does develop as a character). I say that because Benten played a major role in killing and eating his dad as well being totally cool with eating his older brother or his mother. So no matter how many times Benten bails Yasaburo out of dangerous situations, he will always end both admiring and fearing her as an aloof demigod.

I loved the Hell painting segments and I kinda wished that female Oni would come back in future episodes. While I'm glad to see the return of Soun, I hope that the Friday club arc doesn't last too long as I want to see more stuff with Nidaime
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yasaburo found himself tossed into Gyokuran's painting

While we don't know who the actual owner of the painting is, it almost certainly is not Gyokuran. She's not been connected to it in any way yet, unless I've forgotten a major revelation? When the elderly painter said he was asked to paint in the Buddha (which interestingly has a tanuki-like eye-mask) by a priest (who might well have been Gyokuran's brother), Yasaburo thought of Tenmaya saying he incurred Jyurojin's wrath, so I think the latter seems like a good bet for the time being.

It does raise the question of why her brother would commission the addition, or who asked him to do so on their behalf. Was it Soun? Hmm, that might point to the priest in question being his eldest son, Kureichirou.

MarshalBanana wrote:
The background art for hell was aamazing

Wasn't it? It went by in a blur so I went back and took at look at the frames and found an astonishing amount of detail and an even more astonishing restraint in the use of cut and paste repetition. There's some, but I don't think any of the souls are repeated more than 4 or 5 times over about 10 seconds of animation (which I think step-frame-wise is at least 120 frames). Given how fast it zipped by, I would have expected maybe 5 groupings of souls per pov, pasted all over the place with perhaps some variations in coloring. It must've taken someone a week to draw them all.

I enjoyed seeing Yasaburo's oni form again, and it's always amusing when he reverts to his own wide, round eyes. The hellscape was really eerie, suggesting what tanuki would find particularly hellish (with an industrial pollution emphasis). I too hope the female oni somehow makes another appearance.

And Kaisei was her usual amazing self. Does she impersonate these items or just make herself small enough to fit into them (how in the hell is she moving between the post boxes like that!)? I guess if she were impersonating them, sugar couldn't have fallen from the bowl. I noticed that Yasaburo refers to the twins as GinKinkaku. They're not even worth the time it takes to say both their names. Very Happy

Yeah, Soun, cannibalism is a bit far, even for you.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
A series that takes place almost entirely in Kyoto, and the only characters speaking the Kyoto dialect are oni in a literal industrial hell? Okaaay, not even sure if I want to consider the possible implications of that...

Okay, pet peeves* aside, a very good episode. Not sure if I'm liking Souun's descent even further into moustache-twirling territory, but the scene of his re-introduction was very effective, and the design of the hellscape was amazing. And I loved both Kaisei's and Benten's bits in this one; good thing I don't tend to get invested in ships, because I'd be really torn here..

*Seriously, as much as I love the Sound! Euphonium anime when compared to the novels I still haven't totally forgiven Ishihara and Hanada for erasing the dialect in the adaptation Evil or Very Mad Sigh, at least I'll always have Inari Kon Kon...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Benten is somebody who Yasaburo "admires and fears"? Sure that's true as far as it goes, but are Kaisei and I the only ones who realize he loves her? I didn't think it was a particularly hidden point, but from comments I'm reading I get the sense it's not as understood as I assumed. Fortunately, Kaisei and Yasaburo will eventually end up together.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Benten is somebody who Yasaburo "admires and fears"? Sure that's true as far as it goes, but are Kaisei and I the only ones who realize he loves her?

I think most people realize that? But it appears to be more like the love for an unreachable goddess (thus the "fear and admiration") than anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8