• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
As far as I can tell, in the show, leprechauns are a type of fairy that imitates humans. It might also be correct to call leprechauns a kind of fairy generally (if you believe Wikipedia), but I'm not folklore expert.

But haven't they shown them with wings? While originally fairies weren't described as having wings and instead just flew by magic, I've never seen leprechauns with wings.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
People on other sites are already trying to call this Edgy trash.

lol, misuse of the word "edge", like it means anything anymore.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah the fan service was really unnecessary. Other than that, there's a bit too much made word for no reason, why not just call stuff "magic" and "human" and all those instead of making weird new word all the time?

It's decent, mostly pulled along by the main character (christ that's something you don't hear often in anime!).

Yes the anime is forcing the fanservice, keep in mind Willhem is not reacting to it at all.

"why not just call stuff "magic" and "human"
The LN's author calls it venom instead of magic,since using venom poisons the body.

There are no living humans, Willhem is the sole living human,the few remaining races are all that is left and blame humans for ending the world below.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
As far as I can tell, in the show, leprechauns are a type of fairy that imitates humans. It might also be correct to call leprechauns a kind of fairy generally (if you believe Wikipedia), but I'm not folklore expert.

But haven't they shown them with wings? While originally fairies weren't described as having wings and instead just flew by magic, I've never seen leprechauns with wings.

Actually the anime does show their wings,during the opening credits and in cutscenes between commercial breaks.

The fairy races,which the leprechauns are a sub-group,presented in Sukasuka are not representative of what defines the term "fairies" found in say Wikipedia for example.

Sukasuka's world is not based upon our myths&legends,the author made stuff up,simply put lol.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

The synopses/plot summaries out there for Sukasuka barely skim the surface of the story and are misleading.
And the anime is pushing and forcing the fanservice,which does not exist as such in the light novel.Think of the anime's fanservice as a red herring, a misdirection of what lies ahead.

The 'fanservice' misconception stems from the girls being shutoff from the outside world,they do not get to interact with people outside of the military.
What little the girls know of relationships,how people interact and how males and females interact,well they learned it through-I really do not know if this would be spoiler,it is exposition.So wait and see if the anime continues to leave this info out or wait till episode six.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

The synopses/plot summaries out there for Sukasuka barely skim the surface of the story and are misleading.
And the anime is pushing and forcing the fanservice,which does not exist as such in the light novel.Think of the anime's fanservice as a red herring, a misdirection of what lies ahead.

The 'fanservice' misconception stems from the girls being shutoff from the outside world,they do not get to interact with people outside of the military.
What little the girls know of relationships,how people interact and how males and females interact,well they learned it through-I really do not know if this would be spoiler,it is exposition.So wait and see if the anime continues to leave this info out or wait till episode six.

I haven't yet watched the second episode so I don't know how much/heavy the fanservice is, all I know is what I saw of the naked blue haired girl in the preview from last week. I trust what you are saying about it being forced in the anime, but even if so, we do still have to take that into consideration for the anime.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

I haven't yet watched the second episode so I don't know how much/heavy the fanservice is, all I know is what I saw of the naked blue haired girl in the preview from last week. I trust what you are saying about it being forced in the anime, but even if so, we do still have to take that into consideration for the anime.

The only "fanservice" is a back massage. It's absolutely tame compared to other Light Novels.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
I think the problem of using the term fanservice for that massage is that the scene in question does not frame itself sexually at all. In fact I would say the purpose of the scene is to reinforce that Willem does not see any of these girls as romantic interests.

It didn't illicit any romantic reaction from me either, because it was shows us just... a massage. Sure Chtholly is getting rightfully embarrassed but Willem was just doing what he thought of as his job. Nothing more.

Framing in general is important to consider when viewing something as fan service, and if it's not framed sexually I don't think it counts. Of course it varies from person to person, but I think this was the perfect example of a scene that contains nudity, but the main character views it as nothing romantic.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

The only "fanservice" is a back massage. It's absolutely tame compared to other Light Novels.

The anime implied she gained far more pleasure during the "massage",than in the light novel. In the light novel Willhem uses pressure points, Kutori feels relaxed and falls asleep.

But what I mean by the anime creating/forcing 'fanservice' situations, well for example-The older girls sitting in the bedroom talking romance,there is an example of a gratuitous camera angle.And the 'romance talk' stems from exposition the anime has so far failed to give viewers.

The LN uses the light humor as a way to misdirect readers,the anime maybe trying the same with it's take on 'fanservice'(or to boost sales).
Ditrih

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Well, i'm totally okay with massage scene. MC handled situation perfectly well, and honestly earned some respects from me.
And this scene also give meaning for "romance talk" that was earlier. So there was enough exposition for me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
There was that one scene where that one girl was just in her undergarments and we get a nice close-up of her legs as she crosses her legs. I thought that was kinda out of place. Although she wasn't wearing much, it wasn't made out to be sexy outside of that one shot. There were no other close-ups and her body parts weren't all that detailed.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I think the problem of using the term fanservice for that massage is that the scene in question does not frame itself sexually at all. In fact I would say the purpose of the scene is to reinforce that Willem does not see any of these girls as romantic interests.

... She was moaning the entire time and it finished with what can only be described as her cumming. It was definitely sexualized (not to mention I doubt this poison will ever be referred again, unless its for another fan service scene).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ditrih wrote:
Well, i'm totally okay with massage scene. MC handled situation perfectly well, and honestly earned some respects from me.
And this scene also give meaning for "romance talk" that was earlier. So there was enough exposition for me.

I'll explain that bit if the anime continues to leave it out lol

Quote:
Cam0,There was that one scene where that one girl was just in her undergarments and we get a nice close-up of her legs as she crosses her legs. I thought that was kinda out of place. Although she wasn't wearing much, it wasn't made out to be sexy outside of that one shot. There were no other close-ups and her body parts weren't all that detailed.

Well in the eye of the beholder Smile I just found it a gratuitous shot and not in keeping with the tone of the story.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
There was that one scene where that one girl was just in her undergarments and we get a nice close-up of her legs as she crosses her legs. I thought that was kinda out of place. Although she wasn't wearing much, it wasn't made out to be sexy outside of that one shot. There were no other close-ups and her body parts weren't all that detailed.

Agreed. That shot was definitely fan service, but the rest of that scene, and the following massage scene, weren't fan service to me. Just a couple of very close friends teasing each other(and not in the typical anime groping style Rolling Eyes .) Hopefully we'll get to see both of them in a fight as I'd like to see more of their dynamic.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I won't comment on the other things until I see them, but seriously, I don't care what the context is for a naked back massage UNLESS you are going to a professional masseuse. In any other scenario that is at least a tantalizing sexual scene. The only way the guy gets "kudos" for that is in his ability to score.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21