• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it's interesting that Chtolly neither tries to unfurl her wings nor receives the suggestion to do so. It would seem like one of the simpler diagnostic tests now that she doesn't have standard leprechaun physiology any more. We'll probably see something along that line in the coming episodes if they see if she can still wield Seniorious as they try to figure out what the she's become thanks to the power of love.
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I felt that the most jarring part about Ebon Candle was the fact that his head moved so drastically whenever he talked. His comedy elements would have gelled a lot better if the head didn't move and just had an evil menacing look with a voice coming out. Like Ains Ool Gown style from Overlord.
Rewatch the episode. When Souwong blames the cult, he immediately furrows his brow - and I doubt there's any way to get that "you're lying" reaction across clearly if the skull doesn't move(note: have not read the LN, am conjecturing about the exact reason for the action).
meiam wrote:
"Hey guys we got a good episode last week and we started making some good headway into differentiating our show from most generic fantasy. So you know what we need to do this week; double down on the generic rom-com aspect that is absolutely uninteresting and uninspired, yay!"
She's having to deal with the fact that she's no longer a warrior. And with Nygglatho positioning it as a political marriage, she naturally has every reason to pursue the romance. Call it uninteresting and uninspired all you want, but it still fits into the story quite nicely.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree that there's nothing funny about it, but it's also very clear that the show thinks it's being funny. There's plenty of scene that serves no other purpose than being joke, all the time some of the other girl tease Chtolly, the music and the reaction are straight out of rom com. I'm not saying the show is overall rom com, but it's definitely channeling that aspect whenever it's trying to play up the romance aspect.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
@meiam

Have you thought of looking at in this manner-

All the girls know they're going to die either in battle or from 'mental disintegration'.

The some girls are trying to prove Wlllem's intentions and to talk up Chthollly,basically they are all working to see Chtholly's last wish is fulfilled.
Main stumbling block being Willem only seeing Chtholly as a beloved daughter.

Now could have Tiat and her crew's scenes been trimmed, yes they sure should have been.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
Not sure how some people are missing the rom-com element to the Willem-Chtholly relationship. It's not consistent in that sometimes there is a serious tone to it, but other times it clearly trades in rom-com tone. I don't see that as a slam; whether your like or dislike that aspect is a matter of personal taste. This show is doing what many anime titles do: mixes tones.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
There's something I feel the review should have talked about.
Ctholly's memory loss issues that she's trying to hide. There's not remembering where the pepper was. Then,, forgetting about the "date" she had with Willem in episode 1 and then, after using her powers for a short span of time, she forgot that girl she saved''s name.
There might be more instances. But the point is, this is a serious issue that at some point Ctholly won't be able to hide, so I would've liked to see the review mention it
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

While I agree with Paul that Nygglatho is a fun and interesting character, at the same time, I don't particularly care for a love triangle, not in this show at least. So I'm happy for the show to make it clear (or at least seem to) that it's not going down that route, as well as make it clear that Willem does indeed harbor feelings for Ctholly.

I agree also that if maybe they had switched some things around and done a better job of developing Ctholly and Willem's relationship early on, these last two episodes wouldn't have been as needed, and maybe some earlier episodes would have had more impact. Alas, they didn't do that, but it's nice to now finally really be feeling the weight of their relationship. Tragedy or triumph, or a mixture of both, doesn't really work unless we're invested in Willem and Ctholly, and for me at least they've succeeded in getting me invested now.

One interesting thing about this episode is how they handled the revelation thatspoiler[ Ctholly has forgotten her first meeting with Willem]. It's funny, for a show that at times is so unsubtle they have things like Ebon Candle's clumsy line about the truths about the beasts just to MAKE SURE we know that they were hiding something, they handle this extremely emotional revelation in a blink and you'll miss it fashion. Part of me is glad that the show is proving that yes, it can be subtle, but part of me thinks in this case they SHOULDN'T have been subtle, and should have focused on Ctholly realizing this a bit more.

I mean, spoiler[Ctholly's first meeting with Willem, the montage with Scarborough Fair playing, isn't just important to the characters. It's also one of the strongest parts of the first episode, and something that really made an impact on the viewers. And those events are now gone, wiped from Ctholly's memories. The show should have made more of a bigger deal out of it.
]

Still, despite my minor quibbles, a good solid episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
@ Mad_Scientist - I disagree. The impact of that revelation hit me the way I assume the show hoped it would. If they had tried to gild the lily by underscoring it, I think it would have cheapened the moment for me. I appreciate not being hit over the head for things that don't require I be hit over the head.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Episode 8:

While I agree with Paul that Nygglatho is a fun and interesting character, at the same time, I don't particularly care for a love triangle, not in this show at least. So I'm happy for the show to make it clear (or at least seem to) that it's not going down that route, as well as make it clear that Willem does indeed harbor feelings for Ctholly.

I'm going to have to agree. I don't think a love triangle would add anything to the show. The only thing that it could add is romantic tension and the tragic circumstances for Ctholly are more than sufficient to that end, and adding a triangle would just be a distraction.

While it could have be done better, the quiet moments between Chtolly and Willem have always be one of my favorite things about the show, so I've been plenty invested in their relationship from the start really. Always in My Heart gets me going every time. I can understand not getting on the ship earlier though.

I agree with Blood- that the aforementioned revelation was done well enough. I think it was clear enough to figure out without having them beat us over the head with it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
^ Have to agree with these. While I'm late to the show, I love that it isn't a rom-com and isn't going to be a love-polygon. The later put me through the ringer and end maddeningly non-committal. I'd say the show attempts to put the romance in a light-hearted mode to set up what looks like a tragic end. I just hope we see Chtholly end up as being the young woman Elq would have become and get her happy ending.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode; I think it's one of the series' strongest so far. There was an intensity, a certain sense of commitment on Chtholly's part that hasn't been there before which really helped sell the idea of commitment of coming to terms with tragedy and accepting death. Also, that party at the house was great in a macabre, The Nightmare Before Christmas-esque way, and I loved the casual manner in which they addressed it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I found episode 9 kind of dull. That first scene with Ithea seemed to go on forever. There was nothing new introduced emotion- or concept-wise (except for Ithea's reveal). Chtlolly had at least two interior monologues that basically just rehased already covered ground. Yes, losing your memory blows. Got it. I hope the pace picks up from here on in.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
You can gloss over the details, but I think they are kind of important. The details revealed in last episode were important enough that excising the episode wouldn't work so you would have to squish the two together. Strong character development like this can't be rushed so I don't know that you could allocate the time how some would prefer it and keep the quality of the writing. This seems to cut against the idea that if we just make it more like the light novel everything will be better. In addition to how heavy exposition and internal monologue don't play as well in anime as LNs, there is also pacing, which is a much greater problem in anime than LNs (or manga). Earlier, some LN readers were urging the show to slow down and we see why in the past two episodes why that might not improved the critical opinion of the show. Maybe twenty years ago ago this wouldn't have been an issue, but nowadays you try and take your time, and you bump into the "Action, action action! Move, move, move!" crowd. No wonder so many shows are rushed.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Earlier, some LN readers were urging the show to slow down and we see why in the past two episodes why that might not improved the critical opinion of the show.

Well, I suppose that depends on just how MUCH it slowed down. The first 2 light novels were each adapted as 3 episodes each, and it's clear that the 3rd light novel is being adapted at 6 episodes. It's literally half the pace it was in the first part. This makes for a bit of whiplash.

Had they instead done the show as 4 episodes each per light novel, or maybe do 13 episodes instead of 12 so they could do an extra ep for the last part, maybe it would have gone better.

Or not.

Personally, I rather enjoyed this episode. And I thought the new dimension to Ithea's character, plus some of the further interactions between Willem and Ctholly (and him pointing he knows she's still losing her memories even though she's trying to hide it) made for a strong enough episode. So it was quite enjoyable despite the slow pacing. The strong finish definitely helped as well.

When it comes down to it, I just don't think that the writers are very good at brevity, and so if the choice is between paced to slow or paced too fast, in this case I'll take paced too slow, as at least it will be somewhat well executed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Well, I suppose that depends on just how MUCH it slowed down. The first 2 light novels were each adapted as 3 episodes each, and it's clear that the 3rd light novel is being adapted at 6 episodes. It's literally half the pace it was in the first part. This makes for a bit of whiplash.

Had they instead done the show as 4 episodes each per light novel, or maybe do 13 episodes instead of 12 so they could do an extra ep for the last part, maybe it would have gone better.

Or not.

Personally, I rather enjoyed this episode. And I thought the new dimension to Ithea's character, plus some of the further interactions between Willem and Ctholly (and him pointing he knows she's still losing her memories even though she's trying to hide it) made for a strong enough episode. So it was quite enjoyable despite the slow pacing. The strong finish definitely helped as well.

When it comes down to it, I just don't think that the writers are very good at brevity, and so if the choice is between paced to slow or paced too fast, in this case I'll take paced too slow, as at least it will be somewhat well executed.

I've heard that the third novel is longer than the first two, so pacing them with an equal novel:episode ratio may not be ideal. Not to say there is nothing that could have been done. I don't think there is just one good way, but different ones that have different tradeoffs that appeal to different viewers. Though it could be made easier with more experience in adaptations for anime. I've said this before, but the show has made me reconsider thinking the author of the source as being an ideal writer for the adaptation. Maybe some experience in the sort of job you're doing is important.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I've heard that the third novel is longer than the first two, so pacing them with an equal novel:episode ratio may not be ideal.

True, that's why I'm thinking maybe a 13 episode series with 5 episodes for the final novel would have been better.

And I agree with you that yeah, the original writer isn't always the best person to write an adaption. Writing for a light novel is rather different than writing for an anime, writing for a video game, and so on.

That said, despite all the issues, I'm still really, really enjoying the anime, and really, really hoping for a second season to adapt the final two novels. It's a good show. It's just a little frustrating seeing it grasp for and almost reach something so much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 21