• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sakura Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, SOL shows usually don't get that many comments, unless they feature some kind of "controversial content" and while i really enjoyed this anime, i rarely felt the need to discuss it. Perhaps if the reviews had been completely contrary to my opinion, i'd have felt compelled to comment more, but usually i was just nodding my head in agreement and happily looking forward to the next episode. Smile

Also, not sure if the amount of comments is really proof of a shows popularity (let alone quality). For example, skimming through some of the many pages of the thread for that "smartphone show" didn't exactly awaken the burning need to watch it inside of me...

That being said, i'm really gonna miss this show and all of its unique characters! Here's hoping there'll be something even remotely similar to replace it next season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
A lovely show. While I'll miss it, I also feel the 2-cours was the perfect length for this story. I enjoyed it so much, I'll be giving Shirobako a second try since I understand it's basically by the same people. I only tried the first eppie of Shirobako when it first came out and it didn't grab me, but I think I should give it another chance.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
This series started in a very pleasing way for me because it focused on getting to know and developing the very likable five main protagonists. But when the attention shifted to the town, its inhabitants and problems I started to disengage emotionally with it.

This is still a lovely looking, well made show from P.A. Works that is worth a watch for fans of slice of life anime. My grade for the whole show is a B+
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A lovely show. While I'll miss it, I also feel the 2-cours was the perfect length for this story. I enjoyed it so much, I'll be giving Shirobako a second try since I understand it's basically by the same people. I only tried the first eppie of Shirobako when it first came out and it didn't grab me, but I think I should give it another chance.

If you liked this show, I think you will like Shirobako as well. It's one of my favorites and the promotions leading up to this show's premiere with it being the one of P.A. Works "working anime" to follow Shirobako is what convinced me to give this show a shot.

I'm glad I did because I had a very nice time with Sakura Quest. It had its hiccups, but it was sincere and, in a sense, relatable due to the problems the characters faced as the series went on. I enjoyed the characters, their quirks, and the overall optimism the show expressed. This was a fitting last episode for Sakura Quest.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I feel like peeps are more receptive towards wanting to know the inner workings of making an anime series than seeing some Japanese country town getting revived. Especially since the latter's subject matter seems a lot more Japanese ingrained (unless there's a U.S. equivalent of "reviving" old country towns).

One reason I watch anime is because I am curious about a different culture and society from my own. If I wanted to watch shows about America, I'd watch American productions. Your argument suggests a level of ethnocentrism that seems at odds with watching programs produced by people in another country with a different history and culture.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, that was pretty bad on my part being that ethnocentric. I meant in general there seems more interest in wanting to know how anime is made than how to revive an old town. Then again Hanasaku Iroha was about running an inn and that did well and kick started the whole P.A. Works' working-women subgenre so I guess it comes down to execution and style.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
@ Joshua Zarate: I have seen the first 12 eppies of Shirobako and I'm quite liking it. Aoi and Yoshino could be sisters.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Joshua Zarate: I have seen the first 12 eppies of Shirobako and I'm quite liking it. Aoi and Yoshino could be sisters.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. That actually was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I started watching Sakura Quest. Personally, I prefer Aoi Miyamori over Yoshino, but both of them are pretty nice in my opinion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I greatly enjoyed Sakura Quest. And I think it actually earned being able to make me care for so many of characters in it.

I think a full review would have to mention Shirobako, by the same studio with this similar working adults show, with main leads who do have some strong similarities. But at the same time, I think there was this video that explains how Sakura Quest was not just doing what its predecessor did, and really had its own identity. And really hope that shows like this continue to be made. Shows that have this real genuine feeling to them. And the largely victory lap that was the last episode, I thought that it was pretty much perfect.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
As a huge fan of Shirobako, I was pumped for this show, and I wasn't disappointed. It did just about everything I expected and instead of that being a negative it turned out to be a huge positive. I really began to feel for these characters and this city, and I was dreading finishing it. Tears were had. The show was Equal mix of relaxing, some stressful moments and an overall feeling of being home. I hate that it had to end, but I'm glad it had an effective ending to tie it altogether. Is it perfect? No, but it's a darn good show, and a great and enjoyable watch. I'm going to miss it. Hopefully the fourth installment of the Working series comes soon!
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Christopher Farris wrote:
with a few surprises mixed in (like Ririko travelling)

Well, not a surprise for us viewers, I would say.

All in all, this was a very satisfying end to the show. And you've brought up some interesting points about meta-theming Chris that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise. Good stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I saw this twice on 9/20/17. Beautiful end to beautiful show. I find the biggest possibly unanswered question is why it called "Sakura Quest"?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Probably because of the trees around Sakura Pond, and the "quest" to obtain the three iconic items for the Festival.

On a symbolic level, it might represent Yoshino's quest for self-discovery when she moves to a place known for its sakura blossoms.

Now if someone could tell me why "Princess Principal" has that name? The Princess part is obvious, but not so much the Principal. Might it possibly be a misspelling and should read "Princess Principle?"
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well how rare - a finale review on ANN that I actually agree with almost completely. Really excellent show with a very endearing cast. I'm gonna miss it for sure and wouldn't mind an OVA or movie showing a bit more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I saw this twice on 9/20/17. Beautiful end to beautiful show. I find the biggest possibly unanswered question is why it called "Sakura Quest"?

I believe the post ED scene indicated that the blonde ministral guy had written a fairy tale-style story about the events in the series and that book was called Sakura Quest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8