• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sakura Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Gonna miss this show.

Don't worry, it's two cours.

Sweet! Thanks for letting me know.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Mr Sandal's is easily my favorite character in this show. I was not expecting the Field of Dreams quote, but it was amusing
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I would travel to Guam with Sandal any day. Shame on you, red-shirted guy!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Mr Sandal's is easily my favorite character in this show. I was not expecting the Field of Dreams quote, but it was amusing

You mean "Alexandre S. D. Celibidache," right? The putative creator of Sakura Quest was identified early on as Sandal. Not too surprising that he would score well at the trivia contest. I figured he had already read the script for the episode so he knew "ping pong" was the correct answer. This whole "meta" conceit about Sandal and Celibidache has been a humorous part of this show for a while now.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think both sides are partially right in this conflict. Kazushi and the grandmother are right that the promotion intended was both tacky and disrespectful. More to the point it was undoubtedly going to fail. It is one thing to surrender some of your pride for the greater good and another to lose it in something doomed to failure. On the other hand the girls, or rather the people behind the girls are right that if nothing is done the town is likely to simply die, and may do so before at least Kazushi is ready for it.

I think the problem is that they are looking for a "magic bullet", some promotion that will instantly revive the town. That is simply not going to happen. Tourism is a slender reed to lean on and done well takes years to promote. Sudden fame, like any bubble, usually results in an equally sudden fall. Instead of one big Answer, they need to be looking for multiple small answers. A modest tourist attraction based on local specialties, an attempt to obtain businesses that are no longer city dependent and a reason for people to want to live there either seasonally or permanently. Some ideas may come from the fact that two of the team are actually refugees from Tokyo.

It will be interesting to see what answers, if any, they come up with and what success, if any they produce.

I've been consistently fascinated by this conflict because both sides have their pros and cons, and it's pretty easy to see how Manoyama keeps declining while both sides insist that they are right. I would guess that eventually Yoshino and her friends will at least be able to get the two sides to acknowledge they need to work together, but it will take a lot of effort because they're dealing with people who have spent years insisting they know best.

It's been interesting considering I'm from an area like Manoyama, so I've lived through seeing a small town wither with each generation as people leave for urban areas and as efforts to revitalize are met with passing interest from outsiders, and apathy from residents.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I love Yoshino's family. Her mom is a LITTLE too aggressive in her efforts, but her sister is AWESOME. Its not a character that could carry a show, but I (personally) would like to follow her story as bland as it would no doubt be.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
I think the best episode so far was 12 because of all the Kevin Costner lines. With the way Yoshino and the girls are trying to build up the tourism rate, I think the last episode will show many people flocking to Manoyama.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
NO NO. SUSHI IS NUMBAWAN. TOP OF DA WARUR.
Kampy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Man, I would totally watch a show set in their school days with Beef, Poison and Olive as the leads.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing that last part of this recent episode we're finally getting into why this show is titled "Sakura Quest." Laughing

I have to say these string of episodes of the 2nd cour so far has been pretty dang good. Loved how they incorporated the flashback of the old folks in this week's episode.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kampy wrote:
Man, I would totally watch a show set in their school days with Beef, Poison and Olive as the leads.

Yeah, prequel, please! Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Considering Caitlin Glass lived in Spain for about 1.5 years, the Spanish-speaking parts from these last 3 episodes might not be as challenging for adapting the dub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The review for episode 17 has been up for a while, but the stars rating system is missing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 was pretty great, I think A+ is indeed a fitting grade. Not that it is anything really fancy, but I think that it did a good job of just having you feel like you are there with the people, having fun or sharing in the emotions of everyone.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Still watching Sakura Quest since April. Didn't know it's from the same company as Shirobako, guess that's where the charm comes from. Not planning to keep it though, unlike Shirobako.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8