• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Clockwork Planet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
God, that Episode 5 thumbnail. It's like if Andrew Hussie designed a Tron character.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
At least there was a bit taken out the made me groan looking at the Manga.
spoiler[There was a chapter before the crew went to Mie where Marie briefly attended the same school as Naoto. Partly it shows just how over-talented Marie is to 'regular' students. It was just cringe-worthy to read through.
]

I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
sad hole

That took me for loop,I'am getting too old for anime lol.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside my continued qualms about the mechanics (Even if you hollowed out 500 km of the earth's surface and built stuff on top of that, it wouldn't be like space in that hollow area, and if it were a vacuum the air would have been sucked in when a hole was opened anyways), what I most took issue with is the governor blaming Marie for the government's shady actions in response to her exposing the shady stuff they were doing. I hate when the bad guys blame the good guys for their own bad deeds, as if they have no agency themselves. Take responsibility for your actions! She may have shown how shitty they are and they may react shittily to that, but they don't have to do so. And even if her exposure of their corruption and wrongdoing caused them to act as they did, their corruption and wrongdoing caused their loss of face. If they hadn't done it, they wouldn't look shitty because they are in fact shitty. I think some of it is cultural, as they prefer preserving order and reputation over overtly punishing wrongdoing, but still. There is nothing wrong with exposing government corruption and wrongdoing, even if they commit more corruption and wrongdoing in retaliation.

Yeah the tight leather coveralls were an odd choice and things got pretty dark (kill the one that screams better Shocked).

Actually, when this was originally picked up, I thought it wasn't a good candidate for a hatewatch, as I thought if it failed, it would fail in the most unremarkable way, namely being bland and uninteresting. But it has proven its potential as a bizarre trainwreck, so the choice to cover this feels right now.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The idea that simply lashing out at injustice without understanding the systems that brought it into place and how those systems will react to a void is actually a deep, thoughtful discussion that could be had. But not in this show.

Guy in the basement is definitely Tazuna.

The more I watch this show, the more I'm convinced that it doesn't know what it has. You've got an absurd setting with absurd characters, a main character who wants to see his boner ground up between what I assume are the finely-built gear teeth of RyuZU's mechavag, a hot-blooded pipsqueak whose every heroic act leads to her being blamed for death of hundreds of thousands... Go crazy with it! Show some asshole kids flattening pennies between the tectonic gears of the landmasses. Let the leads plan a date based on whenever the movie theater rotates the closest. This show should be cranking the absurd up to 11, not trying to follow the LN design manual.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can only imagine that scenes have been highly condensed or rearranged from the manga and light novel source material

And you imagine correctly.

Clockwork Planet has been a butchered adaptation from the 1st minute of episode 1, and it hasn't stopped at all since then. The continuous skipping, rushing, altering and rearranging has made a solid sci-fi/drama with bits of action into a barely comprehensible mess of failed tone, inconsistent and weirdly-directed story, inexistent character drama, missed emotional impact and bad visuals outside of the gear-related scenes, with seemingly no effort put in it.
No wonder a big chunk of LN-territory has a bad name, with so many bad adaptations.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:

And you imagine correctly.

Clockwork Planet has been a butchered adaptation from the 1st minute of episode 1, and it hasn't stopped at all since then. The continuous skipping, rushing, altering and rearranging has made a solid sci-fi/drama with bits of action into a barely comprehensible mess of failed tone, inconsistent and weirdly-directed story, inexistent character drama, missed emotional impact and bad visuals outside of the gear-related scenes, with seemingly no effort put in it.
No wonder a big chunk of LN-territory has a bad name, with so many bad adaptations.

Well that's a shame. I can see how this premise could have potential if executed properly, but the anime is certainly bungling it. It is good to know, though, that a decent version of Clockwork Planet exists out there in some form or another.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think either James or I are just not in the right headspace for this show. MechaMaid's willingness to sacrifice the blood of innocents to protect the gear-fetish kid didn't strike me as a starting point to explore her morality but rather the punchline of another joke about her personality. A pretty good one, too, as it pulled one of the woefully few chuckles I've had watching this show when I put two and two together about the reason she invited ChibiMeatWall.

I think playing it up as a character trait is going to serve the show better than exploring it as a morality issue, given how unsuccessful the show has been in its more introspective moments.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Can we talk about how bad the directing is in this show? The shot choices and fight coreography are just plain terrible, and there's like, ZERO flow from scene to scene. This week's episode was the worst yet. I see Mr. Nagasawa directed both MM! and Haiyore Nyaruko San, both I thoroughly enjoyed, maybe he just phoned it in on this one getting stuck with a bad project based on a bad LN I don't know.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
One question I had after watching was: Does magnetizing gears render them non-functional? In real life not the just the story? I haven't been able to find an answer and given I was usually redirected to magnetic gears, I'm leaning towards no, it isn't a real thing. "So they have electromagnetic research which messes with the gears. But why?" "Because magnets, I don't know."

Oh and to the fighter pilot, yes, lightning bolts travel faster than Mach 5 (about 220,000 mph vs ~3836 mph)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I guess if you magnetized them enough, they would become harder to turn because of magnetic attraction from one gear to the next. I don't think getting too buried on whether the science of this show is feasible is a good idea, though.

Lightning bolts, in addition to being faster than jets, also don't damage jets. So... I don't know what to conclude from that. (I assume these jets are also gear-powered, so it would have made a lot more sense for them to just stop flying and crash, not to explode).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
B-but...explosions...

I was thinking the attraction between the gears might slow it down after the meeting point but that should be cancelled out by the the gears pulling toward each other on the approach. Yeah trying to figure out if the science in the show makes sense is a lost cause, but this is such a basic issue that suspension of disbelief is very difficult. They might as well say it stops the gears because it turns them into bananas.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Banana planet. The world's inhabitants now cling to a giant banana tree whose leaves happen to form the shapes of the world as it existed with continents. The main character has an incredible sense of smell that allows him to detect rotting bananas before anyone else, and is in love with a monkey girl. But the gear research has been banned because they grind up bananas. But look! Some government has built a gear monster! It shoots gears at the banana planes, which explode (but inexplicably, not into a spray of banana juice).

Every stupid idea is a better show.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I will say magnets are bad for high end mechanical watches as it can keep them from keeping accurate time. Seeing as how the family names in this show are watch makers thats probably where the idea came from. They measure a watches resistance to magnetic interference in gauss. It doesn't make it any more dumb here but if the whole planet is a precision machine it would make sense except this robot just wrecked several levels crammed with gears and it doesn't seem to be a problem so who knows lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimagnetic_watch
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They've just used the body of a sex robot to revive the severed head of a dying cyborg (which is a sentence I never thought I'd have to write),

Eh, ever since I first saw Ghost in the Shell I considered that I might have to write that sentence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3