• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KADO - The Right Answer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Somewhere, outside our little universe cocoon should be a mini cosmic placard that reads:
"Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

As soon as zaShunina was infected by humanity there was no hope left for him. He was doomed to be foiled by hubris right before the finish line. And then die. He wanted a taste of humanity but ended up getting the full course. His first love, Shindo, followed by the anguish of loss by Shindo's death, and then, loneliness. Full spectrum, in the blink of an eye. In seeking out the mysteries of humanity he became what he sought and only came to realize this moments before his end. Such is life. And indeed one could argue that zaShunina had never truly lived before coming to Earth, and sadly died before he could savor it.

To use only one word to describe zaShunina one might be tempted to lean towards "tragic".
Here we see what is basically a god, seeking the unknown, only to encounter it in the very being that destroys him. No matter how powerful zaShunina was even he couldn't have his cake and eat it too, or in this case, pie. Humble pie, the most unexpected of flavors™.

Most might see KADO as the story of humanity encountering the anisotropic, but I see it more as the anisotropic encountering humanity. This slight shift in perspective might affect what you end up taking away from the series. I do feel the series could've benefited greatly from a 13 episode runtime. Instead of trying to keep Yukika a surprise until literally the last moment I think it would have been better to work in a more substantial backstory, because let us not forget the true MVP of the series: Hanamori.
Am I the only one who wanted to see some actual Hanamori / Yukika moments? Dude only spent 16 years raising her, and what does he get? Maid status. A tear shed for all the Hanamori's out there.

At the end of the day though, despite the shortcomings of KADO's compressed ending, the only question that really matters is "Do I regret watching it?". The RIGHT answer for me, is "No".
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I don't understand the hate. Kado could have been better than 98% of other anime, but instead it stumbled, and wound up "only" better than 90% of anime. And that's supposed to be an abject failure?

+10000
I couldn't agree more. I guess Kado is joining The Perfect Insider, Harmony and Joker Game as perfectly mature, well-written series (well, films, in the case of Harmony) that for some reason get all the hate from the anime community because, God Forbid, they actually make the viewer use their brain... and that's why we get shonen fluff and moe crap over and over again...
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
+10000
I couldn't agree more. I guess Kado is joining The Perfect Insider, Harmony and Joker Game as perfectly mature, well-written series (well, films, in the case of Harmony) that for some reason get all the hate from the anime community because, God Forbid, they actually make the viewer use their brain... and that's why we get shonen fluff and moe crap over and over again...

Are you serious? This is the show that started out as a first contact story emphasizing negotiation, communication, curiosity and "always thinking", and ended up taking a 180 degree turn into a clichéd, tired "us vs them" story with zero ambiguity or thinking necessary as the writing provided us with both the "correct" side that the viewer should support - unsurprisingly the side of the cute pouty girl who turns out being special and a designated love interest! - while throwing around plot twists for the sake of plot twists with absolutely no regard to internal consistency, writing or set-up. It started out an intelligent show, ended up being, well, basically shounen fluff and moe crap, with bonus yandere alien boy who is Bad and should be defeated.

This was a show that could've been great, but started wobbling at episode 8 and then simply crashed and burned. I can't begin to imagine what on earth was going on in the writer's mind and what he wanted to accomplish with derailing the story so spectacularly and tragically.

Compared to this Perfect Insider was a masterpiece in storytelling. (As for Joker Game I think it's overrated.)

Last edited by SHD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
If you "used your brain" and came away compelled by this show, I submit you're easily impressed. The rest of us "used our brains" and found the show dramatically lacking.

When the possibility of changing the way energy works in the world was raised, we "used our brains" to consider the implications in international politics. The show, rather than investigate that, just concluded that Russia, China, and the U.S. would all become the bestest friends and pressure poor little bread-sharing Japan into giving it up.

That's a silly idea, but okay, let's say that's the case. How will Japan handle this? No need to worry about it! Conveniently enough, the actual Wam aren't that special, anyone can make them! Problem solved!

So now anyone can make an infinite power supply? Wow, how is this going to change things? Let's use our brains! But then the show says "sorry, you know what? That's going to be too hard. Actually, not anyone can make them, only the chosen few can, so the implications aren't going to be part of the show at all."

And what about the conflict between an overpowered alien and humanity with it's own sense of pride and desMAGICAL GIRL!!! WHO THEN CREATES MAGICAL BABY TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!

Those of use who were willing to "use our brain" were betrayed at every turn by this show, and your inability to comprehend that those of us critical of the show were also "using our brains" reminds us of how easily a show can fall into the trap of thinking it's smart just by chucking in a few thematic elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9