• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
SHD wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I thought the exchange between Nina and Azazel in the carriage was one of best-written bits of dialogue in the show so far. Nina's lack of self-control is a pretty obvious metaphor for exploding adolescent sexuality. Azazel's offer to become her "master" and "train" her just reeks of male erotic fantasies.

That's absolutely not what he said, though?

You're right, he uses the word "control" in the subtitles. I think my misremembering was the result of my reading-into the dialogue, though I still think the subtext is there.

But he meant her power, not her or her sexuality in general. I don't see the subtext, to be honest - Azazel is many things, but a sleaze he isn't. I mean, he got embarrassed over a simple hug! (And again, he had ample opportunities be a sleazy creep to Amira and Cerberus, but he never did anything.)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The error about Kaisar has been corrected in the review~
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I always assumed Mugaro was a boy. But yeah it was never said lol.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
At first i thought that Nina dressed up Mugaro as a girl as a disguise because the knights were looking for "the boy who's with the Rag Demon", but on second thought, Mugaro's gender might be purposefully ambiguous since s/he is an angel/god child after all...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hell, I thought [Mugaro] was a girl until everyone kept saying he was a boy. Smile

I felt briefly vindicated on this during the shopping trip (still do, since even Nina can't tell), but I believe Bacchus shot it down when his first question to Mugaro was, "What's with the outfit?" Mugaro seems to be mute (I don't recall him ever speaking?), and just smiles, but I took it to mean that he didn't care if they were girl clothes, it made Nina happy, and that made him happy.

I think it was worth the paragraph spent on lunch with Rita and Kaiser. Her slowly dawning realization of what he was actually on about was priceless.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hell, I thought [Mugaro] was a girl until everyone kept saying he was a boy. Smile

I felt briefly vindicated on this during the shopping trip (still do, since even Nina can't tell), but I believe Bacchus shot it down when his first question to Mugaro was, "What's with the outfit?" Mugaro seems to be mute (I don't recall him ever speaking?), and just smiles, but I took it to mean that he didn't care if they were girl clothes, it made Nina happy, and that made him happy.

I think it was worth the paragraph spent on lunch with Rita and Kaiser. Her slowly dawning realization of what he was actually on about was priceless.

It was stated that his/her windpipe was crushed when s/he was still a slave.
Nasako

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
http://i.imgur.com/i2JOQqZ.png

So I guess that confirms it? Or they could be a transgender I guess and maybe just doesn't care about what clothes they wear. Either way, I like the character and hope they stay an integral part of the show, which it seems like they will.

EDIT: Apparently I can't figure out how to embed images, but the imgur link is screenshot from the official site ------>https://shingekinobahamut-virginsoul.jp/en/characters/mugaro/
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I keep finding this remark about Virgin Soul on how different it is from Genesis constantly, and I find that a little weird, because I love how different it is. While Genesis had a more adventure-ish feeling, it had a very messy structure and the overall journey wasn't as fun as the characters were just bouncing one another. Which is why I think the first two episodes of Genesis are top notch, and then it never lived up to them except for the finale.

Not saying this out of bad memory, I watched Genesis two weeks ago so I'm very fresh on how Genesis turned out just okayish. Virgin Soul though? Favorite show of the year, the strenght of those first two episodes hasn't waned in these five episodes, each one is a blast to watch. I think it's highly related (but not restricted to) how the ambitions and goals are being met with a more condensend and tight structure. What Virgin Soul wants to explore isn't of small scale, but using one keeps you from getting lost in the point of it all, managing to bring at every point the core goals of the story without the need of bombarding you with fast paced action and journey to show it. It also helps that the production looks super good (Genesis by episode 4 looked pretty bad and had a really rough time coming back). Also, in general, I'm super in love with all the characters.

And about this episode, I want to mark that when Bacchus did that half scream before the ending I laughed like an idiot, it was such an excellent reaction and voice acting.

Nasako wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/i2JOQqZ.png

So I guess that confirms it? Or they could be a transgender I guess and maybe just doesn't care about what clothes they wear. Either way, I like the character and hope they stay an integral part of the show, which it seems like they will.

EDIT: Apparently I can't figure out how to embed images, but the imgur link is screenshot from the official site ------>https://shingekinobahamut-virginsoul.jp/en/characters/mugaro/

I'm not one to disprove the official English site, but in the Japanese site they never state anything related to Mugaro's gender. In Japanese it says they are "The mysterious child that accompanies Azazel. Helps (no pronoun here) at the demon funeral home."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
The gender thing was bothering me before, but I think that the end stance should be to simply not care, his/her gender should not really matter. At this point I can see that s/he seemed to like the clothes that Nina gave him/her with no look of embarrassment(Mugaro is actually wearing them in the ED with a smile), although others seem to see a boy, but otherwise is a sweet kid.

Michael looked feminine so it would not be a big problem. I actually think it is along the lines that Mugaro is a combination of Michael and Jeanne's demon side, so biology is unsure in general.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
I don't really care what Mugaro's gender is (or isn't?), but I totally see them setting up a scene in which Nina asks Mugaro to take a bath with her, and then reacts in a shocked way to male characteristics she wasn't expecting to see...in a typical anime humor way.

I'm surprised Rita's so into Kaiser. She's not the type of...woman in a zombie girl's body to harbor such a massive, tsundere crush. Maybe it's just the zombie part throwing me off. She should try a little blush.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Valhern, I'm really enjoying this each week.

Agent355 wrote:
I'm surprised Rita's so into Kaiser. She's not the type of...woman in a zombie girl's body to harbor such a massive, tsundere crush. Maybe it's just the zombie part throwing me off. She should try a little blush.

Hehe!

It's been a while but I also remember their occasional scenes together in season one were quite amusing as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I don't know if Rita has any blood to blush. She did get pretty attached to Kaisar, she followed him out of her hometown and teamed up with Favaro to save him. Despite some of groans I think it is that she respects his high morality, or I think was in regards to whom that she shows emotion in general.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I don't know if Rita has any blood to blush. She did get pretty attached to Kaisar, she followed him out of her hometown and teamed up with Favaro to save him. Despite some of groans I think it is that she respects his high morality, or I think was in regards to whom that she shows emotion in general.

Yeah, she very likely doesn't, like when she throws off her arms. Agreed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm surprised Rita's so into Kaiser. She's not the type of...woman in a zombie girl's body to harbor such a massive, tsundere crush.

She keeps his hand as a pet. If that's not love, I don't know what is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I don't know if Rita has any blood to blush.

LOL! That's why I suggested she try using make-up!. But now that I thought it through, that would just look weird! She'd need to hire a make-up artist that does corpses for wakes and funerals!

DuskyPredator wrote:
She did get pretty attached to Kaisar, she followed him out of her hometown and teamed up with Favaro to save him. Despite some of groans I think it is that she respects his high morality, or I think was in regards to whom that she shows emotion in general.

That's true. He's just so much older than her (or maybe she's actually older than him? I forget which.)

Gina Szanboti wrote:

She keeps his hand as a pet. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

That's also a good point! And she considers Rocky their kid, so there's that sign of her perception of their relationship--they have a kid together! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23