• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So was there an actual point to Nina mistaking Mugaro for a girl?

Other than the "hurr durr durr dude looks like a lady but has man parts" factor, probably not, based on the goofy way the show portrayed Nina's realization of Mugaro's gender.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Merida wrote:

Other than the "hurr durr durr dude looks like a lady but has man parts" factor, probably not, based on the goofy way the show portrayed Nina's realization of Mugaro's gender.

Well, so far it had a kind of funny scene with Azazel, and Jeanne is not entirely sure thanks to Nina. Although she may find out that Nina dressed up her sun in pretty dresses.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought Ep. 10 was strong, I just wish its placement hadn't been exactly now. I could have used an exciting prison break after a few episodes where the show felt like it was meandering a little, particularly since last episode ended with Rita parachuting-umbrella into enemy territory. I was getting hyped up for that rescue! Maybe after the rescue we could have then had Jeanne's backstory?

Mugaro/El baby was adorable and seeing Jeanne be a mom was cute. Man that immaculate conceiving thing is painful, but hey at least it was quick and not messy. Still being a single mom is tough even for a former Saint with immaculate conception stuff. Anyways looking forward to that prison break.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Young Charioce seems like as much of a jerk as old Charioce, albeit with a cuter haircut. I'd guess that he's in his late teens/early 20s at this point, which would put him in his late 20s in the present day, seven years into his reign.

Actually, we know that presently he's in his early twenties, likely around 22-23 - he noted to Kaisar some episodes back that he's the same age now as Kaisar was ten years ago. He was around 15 when he took the throne, which is not particularly strange of a medieval-esque society.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was probably the most...unique way to depict her water breaking. At first, because she wasn't pregnant, I figured this was a conception scene, and was baffled by the bubbles. Then when they turned into snowflakes I thought she was being dehydrated for some arcane reason! After the supernatural caesarean, I finally realized what all that meant. Laughing

But that smile after she drenched him in blood and pruned his wings... That broke me. Angel indeed.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
I was pretty pumped up for the prison break and more Favaro, so at first this ep. was a bit of a downer. But then Jeanne's and Mugaro's backstory really broke my heart...i hope they'll be reunited soon (preferably together with Azazel) for some serious Charioce ass-kicking. I'm usually all in favour of villain redemption especially if they are hot, but that jerk just sitting smugly on his throne while ordering people to be tortured or killed, is really starting to piss me off...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But that smile after she drenched him in blood and pruned his wings... That broke me. Angel indeed.

Yeah. Although I cannot recall something directly, I don't think that the needing to clip the wings of a child in a fallen angel way to protect them is all original. But here we really felt the pain where she had to do that to her child, that it must have been really painful for the poor guy, but perhaps more so for Jeanne.

Nina's reaction of finding it so sad she is crying could almost be seen as comical, but I think us the audience really felt it too. Mugaro is such a sweetheart, and what he, and Jeanne went through was such a sad story.

We did miss out on a prison escape yet, but was comical is the guard thinking she has any authority to stop it from happening.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Merida wrote:

I thought that angels are physically asexual/agender/enouch (whatever the correct technical term is) in mythology? That could easily explain naive Nina's confusion/assumption. It at least makes for a less lazy and more thoughtful explanation, so I am going to assume this is canon until told otherwise...

Last edited by DrunkAyanami on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* She's not been immaculate conception'd. The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of the Virgin Mary without original sin. It does not refer to Jesus's virgin birth or conception except that only a woman without sin could give birth to him.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
I knew "Virgin Soul" would refer to Mugaro's virgin birth! But it still freaked me out that Jeanne gave birth to a talking preschooler. Where's the adorable baby stage?

I'm assuming he can't talk anymore due to severe trauma. Sad I hope when they reunite he'll be able to talk again, maybe even regrow his wings!

Still waiting for some tragic Chaorice backstory. The more they show us that he's been killing, torturing, jailing and enslaving sentient beings since ascending to the thrown, the harder his eventual redemption (I'm assuming he'll have one) will be. But I trust the writers and this has been the stand out anime-of-the-season for me. A few awkward virgin births of preschoolers or hard assed genocidal kings who somehow still get sweet romantic scenes with the heroine haven't ruined it yet!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm assuming he can't talk anymore due to severe trauma. Sad I hope when they reunite he'll be able to talk again, maybe even regrow his wings!

Well that and the slavers ripping out his vocal cords. They mentioned that before, and you can see a scar on his neck. Not that him regaining the ability to speak is out of the question.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I knew "Virgin Soul" would refer to Mugaro's virgin birth! But it still freaked me out that Jeanne gave birth to a talking preschooler. Where's the adorable baby stage?

Depending on the interpretation, the Virgin Mary gave birth to a baby that didn't cry like a normal baby, it could even stand up and talk. In a lot of paintings in the Feudal Age you will see that Jesus is standing up and gesturing as if he's making statements. I think the Muslim interpretation of his birth is similar.

So more or less that's what we saw here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Since we didn't see vocal cord damage in this episode, I inferred that Azazel might have made up the story to hide Mugaro's origins. I never noticed the scar on his neck (and now that I think about it, Azazel probably doesn't know Mugaro's origins).

Valhern wrote:

Depending on the interpretation, the Virgin Mary gave birth to a baby that didn't cry like a normal baby, it could even stand up and talk. In a lot of paintings in the Feudal Age you will see that Jesus is standing up and gesturing as if he's making statements. I think the Muslim interpretation of his birth is similar.

So more or less that's what we saw here.

I wasn't familiar with this interpretation. It fits well here, thanks!
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know why some people expect Charioce to treat Nina leniently just because they had a nice time together once. Sure, he probably has some affection for her, but on the other hand, according to what he knows she conspired against him and tried to kill him. I don't see why he should forgive her for that, it would be very much out of character for him.

By the way,
Agent355 wrote:
I knew "Virgin Soul" would refer to Mugaro's virgin birth!

I'm pretty sure it refers to Nina and her, well, virgin soul. "Virgin soul" is a way to translate "otomegokoro" which means the romantic soul of a girl.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
"Virgin Soul" can refer to both Nina's romantic heart and Mugaro's virgin birth. The Japanese term might have that specific meaning, but they chose to use an English translation with a different connotation.

Charioce! I did not get any sense that he intended anything toward Nina besides mocking her. If they're going to give him a redemption arc, they better start explaining his deeper motives fast. Right now, he just seems like a smug, genocidal bastard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 23