• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
LOL! That's why I suggested she try using make-up!. But now that I thought it through, that would just look weird! She'd need to hire a make-up artist that does corpses for wakes and funerals!

Azazel and Maguro happen to do funeral services, but they might be more pale than she is.

Agent355 wrote:
That's true. He's just so much older than her (or maybe she's actually older than him? I forget which.)

She is just a teensy bit older than him at 200 years, she did 'live' with her parents for a lot of that though.

Agent355 wrote:
That's also a good point! And she considers Rocky their kid, so there's that sign of her perception of their relationship--they have a kid together! Very Happy

I imagine being a single parent might be a bit of a handful for her, she probably deserves a hand for being so patient, waiting for Kaisar offer his hand in marriage.
Triple dumb hand joke!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mugaro appeared in a skirt in one of the early episodes looking off from top of a cliff. Other episodes show him or her wearing pants. I was surprised when it seemed that Nina definitively stated that Mugaro is female, but maybe others here are right, and she doesn't know any more than we do.

This is one of those instances where we have to rely on the translator, I suspect, though the writers could be playing with the lack of gender in the Japanese language. That would probably be difficult to convey.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I imagine raising a hand single-handedly might be a bit of a handful for her, she probably deserves a hand for being so patient, waiting for Kaisar to offer his hand in marriage.
Triple dumb hand joke!

Fixed for the elusive quad, though with a brief touch on the landing.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I imagine raising a hand single-handedly might be a bit of a handful for her, she probably deserves a hand for being so patient, waiting for Kaisar to offer his hand in marriage.
Triple dumb hand joke!

Fixed for the elusive quad, though with a brief touch on the landing.

*golf clap*
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if this show will do anything with how Azazel's word choice basically made it sound like Nina is just a tool to be exploited by him. There's a lot they can do there narratively. That kind of thinking is how the demons got to where they are at this point after all. Then you have the romance angle and redemption arc if he realizes he only treated Nina like a weapon. I'm secretly hoping his actions ruins that ship because a several hundreds year old demon hooking up with the cute teen dragon girl creeps me out a little Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's some discord, however, because Nina is (justifiably) angry at Bacchus for creeping on her in bed the other night. She doesn't know that he was investigating Mugaro,

Actually she did know he was investigating Mugaro, who she thinks is a girl, and she's pissed at him for being a pervert toward her friend because she doesn't know what he was really trying to see.

The dance scene is just more fuel on my crazy-ass theory about Nina spoiler[actually being Amira. It was clearly a callback to Amira's drunken dancing with Favaro in Genesis. She even wondered out loud how she knew how to dance like that.]

But the spit-take scene for me was this:

Not just the expressive "body" language, but I love the little outfit she's made up for it. Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
So Nina's old crush wants to use her for killing her new crush who just happens to be the king she loathes for his enjoyment of torturing and killing everything that isn't human - i guess "terrible taste in men" doesn't even begin to describe her predicament...

I have become rather curious about Charioce's backstory now, though. Who's grave was that he visited for example? Also, Kaisar's words seem to have left a more lasting impression than expected.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
i guess "terrible taste in men" doesn't even begin to describe her predicament...

The next few episodes are going to be fun....

Quote:
I have become rather curious about Charioce's backstory now, though. Who's grave was that he visited for example? Also, Kaisar's words seem to have left a more lasting impression than expected.

We already know quite abit about the new king, he is the son of a concubine, is quite determined to have humanity at the top of the food chain, loath the angels, despises the demons, has a ruthless streak a mile wide and is rather shrewd.

About the grave, we don't know much about his mother but given that Bahamut was a destructive SOB in Genesis it would not be all that unreasonable to guess that she died in the fires. Especially given the fact that the only reason that this Charioce is king is the simple fact that every other candidate to the throne died in the destruction.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
Especially given the fact that the only reason that this Charioce is king is the simple fact that every other candidate to the throne died in the destruction.

I think Charioce himself had something to do with his rise to succession over his siblings. He even suggests that fact during, as I recall, the conversation with Kaisar. Bahamut's destruction could have hidden deeper crimes.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
And as if it wasn't clear already, Nina is the Facial Expression Queen. God damn.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well with Charioce's rise to power, we know that the king did not have any official children, the mummy boy seemed to only have the image of being noble while also being jealous of Jean. Charioce must have been an illegitimate and had to work to be realised, we don't know if it was bloody. It does seem clear though that the time he lived amongst the people is something he enjoys and thus goes under disguise.

One of the mysteries in general is where Charioce is getting his power from, it seems to go to him being super strong that he was giving Nina a hard time.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
The latest episode really displays masterful usage of silence or in more musical terms, "rest". A lot of shows tend to forget that with BGM sometimes less is more. Sofiel's encounter with Bacchus and Mugaro really centered the focus on character expressions. And despite there being a grand parade only moments away, the town is surprisingly quiet almost as if everyone knows an ambush is coming. The tension was deliciously palpable. Reminds me of a good old western right before the final showdown, and just like your typical western, things don't often end well for lead characters.

Behold! The face of a man who has just realized his entire plan which hinged upon the horny urges of a young maiden, has utterly crumbled.

Priceless. XD

Also, I can't believe it took me this long to realize but:

S1: Kaisar: FAVAROOOOO!!!
S2: Azazel: CHARIOOOOCE!!!
Morry

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
RIP Belphegor. Death by character assassination. At least Shadowverse portrayed you right.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
S2 Ep.7

I was a tiny bit let down by the cliffhanger and yes I wanted the show to get much further along than it has. On the other hand, I feel the show has maintained quite a bit of fun and energy over 7 episodes while being strongly consistent in its story. Really its been chugging along solidly on all eight cylinders week after week. I'm a little impressed.

I'm now expecting Mugaro to probably get captured and maybe Azazel too which should bring Jean more into the story (maybe? Hopefully.) thereby requiring a rescue by Nina with help from Kaiser plus maybe a hand (Laughing) from Rita.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On that note, it's nice that Bacchus doesn't seem interested in selling out Mugaro. I doubt that the temptation is over for him, but he's not a bad enough guy to sell out an innocent little kid. (At least not without feeling bad about it.)

That's not what the scene was about. Bacchus (who was never set up as a bad guy or anything) doesn't want to hand Mugaro over to Sofiel because he has a bad feeling about what they're planning with the kid. This was a little foreshadowing about what's going to happen to Mugaro once the angels get their hands on him.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Charioce must have been an illegitimate and had to work to be realised, we don't know if it was bloody.

Considering that he's Charioce XVII and the king in Genesis was Charioce XIV, there were three other Charioces in 10 years who were, well, dealt with...

DuskyPredator wrote:
One of the mysteries in general is where Charioce is getting his power from, it seems to go to him being super strong that he was giving Nina a hard time.

I'm getting the feeling that Charioce is probably not 100% human, which would make his Humans First quest a bit ironic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23