• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Puyo Puyo Tetris

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
So nice to see Vanquish get second life on PC (also being able to play it at 60 FPS Shocked ). My favorite Shinji Mikami game behind Resident Evil 4. Hopefully Madworld isn't far behind with a PC port,which could happen since Sega published it (like Vanquish,it was pretty underappreciated).

It's interesting to see how far the medium has come. When games like Night Trap and Phantasmagoria were seen as controversial, are now so quaint with games like Outlast II being released with no problem at all.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad that Puyo Puyo Tetris has a Western release! I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to next week when the college semester ends for me.

Hopefully, the game sells well enough in the West for Sega to consider localizing Puyo Puyo Quest and Puyo Puyo Chronicle. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That now-quaint subject matter is the main source of the game's fame, since it became central in the US video game violence trials that led to the creation of the ESRB.

I love how Night Trap started the whole controversy of video games turning kids violent. It's absolutely laughable. Former Senator Joe Lieberman did not do any research at all when he held the Congressional hearings on violence in video games. He didn't even play the game, so he was basing it all on ignorant presumptions and outdated data that contained pre-Genesis statistics.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only mark against the Switch version is its slight price premium—$40 versus the PS4's $30. It's still a good a good price for a puzzle collection as fully featured as this, but it's disappointing to see a publisher taking advantage of the software starved Switch audience when it comes to pricing.

....It's a 10 dollar price differential and looking at the standard MSRP for Switch titles that's pretty reasonable.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the increasingly prolific category of “that's fine but who asked for it?” remasters is a de Blob release on Steam. Sure.

Hey now, de Blob is fantastic! I love both it and Bayonetta, but I'd double-dip for the a Steam copy of the former much sooner. It's also great to know that this franchise was not forgotten after that whole mess with THQ's bankruptcy.

epicwizard wrote:
Hopefully, the game sells well enough in the West for Sega to consider localizing Puyo Puyo Quest and Puyo Puyo Chronicle. Wink

Also hoping for this Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U was sorely missing a proper Battle Mode, and I always found it strange that the DLC never addressed it. I do hope they have rolling content updates though. It's a full-priced game.

Quote:
So what exactly is Puyo Puyo Tetris? It's a huge, fully-featured package combining two of the best puzzle games ever made

I am quite enjoying the game, but I would say Meteos is the greatest falling blocks puzzle game series. But maybe it's because it's the only one I'm good enough at to call myself an expert in.

epicwizard wrote:
I'm so glad that Puyo Puyo Tetris has a Western release! I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to next week when the college semester ends for me.

I think Puyo Puyo Tetris will have no shortage, since the GameStop where I got mine had plenty of copies. How well it'll sell I have no idea, but I've seen next to no marketing for it. It'll have to rely on visibility in stores and the Tetris name.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
The only mark against the Switch version is its slight price premium—$40 versus the PS4's $30. It's still a good a good price for a puzzle collection as fully featured as this, but it's disappointing to see a publisher taking advantage of the software starved Switch audience when it comes to pricing.

....It's a 10 dollar price differential and looking at the standard MSRP for Switch titles that's pretty reasonable.

I really wanted those keychains.

R. Kasahara wrote:
Hey now, de Blob is fantastic! I love both it and Bayonetta, but I'd double-dip for the a Steam copy of the former much sooner. It's also great to know that this franchise was not forgotten after that whole mess with THQ's bankruptcy.

The bigger tragedy about it all is that THQ's bankruptcy took Blue Tongue Studios with it, which was a startup with a lot of promise.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems we're now at the point with remasters where the quality of the original game is irrelevant—instead, literally any old thing is fair game for modern updates. Heck, Voodoo Vince was just rereleased last week. Not that these games aren't without their merits, it's just that they're valuable more as historical curiosities than fun games to play though today. But given the rapid obsolescence of video game hardware, maybe that's enough.

Maybe Dustin just didn't hear about it, but anywhere I've looked I've seen nothing but praise for Voodoo Vince, generally being deemed one of the best platformers of its generation. It's just most didn't really play it, partially due to it being Xbox-exclusive, partially due to platformers kind of losing popularity at the time in place of other genres, & partially due to its subject matter (Louisiana voodoo isn't exactly a common theme in video games). If anything, Voodoo Vince was the perfect choice for a remaster. Hell, Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, even called it one of his favorite games of all time, which I'm sure also helped make the remaster possible.

Look, I'm all for celebrated classics being given new, remastered releases, but I don't get being cynical about lesser-known games being given the same treatment. If a game missed its chance to find an audience back in the day, I'm happy to see it being given a second try, even better than before.

Of course, then we have Night Trap, but at least that trailer indicates that it should be actually playable for once. For example, the new UI replaces the static image boxes originally used to let the player select which room to look at with simultaneous video feeds. Finally, instead of simply relying on mass memorization (or guessing), Night Trap can be played by relying on reflexes, since now you can see what's going on in every room at the same time, and if you notice an enemy in one of those little boxes, you can finally react in time & try to stop them. That alone makes me interested in checking this new version of Night Trap out.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm very ecstatic that most folks are having a blast with Puyo Puyo Tetris, even if the Puyo vs Tetris matches can eventually get hectically hard.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
epicwizard wrote:

I think Puyo Puyo Tetris will have no shortage, since the GameStop where I got mine had plenty of copies. How well it'll sell I have no idea, but I've seen next to no marketing for it. It'll have to rely on visibility in stores and the Tetris name.

Good points. I went over to GameStop earlier today in order to pick up my pre-ordered copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I saw 8 copies (7 Switch and 1 PS4) of Puyo Puyo Tetris sitting on the shelf.

But yeah, the overall marketing for the game isn't very strong. Sega should've made a TV commercial for it and pay the mainstream kids networks to air it. At least they're promoting it quite well on social media and official Puyo Puyo accounts have been made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1