• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diversity in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
See, you just assumed that Empire was created by black people because that's how your perspective sees things. White people create things with white people and black people create things with black people, and Japanese create things with Japanese people (this last one you should already have known was totally false as an anime fan, since white characters appear routinely in anime, but because you accept white as the default you would expect white people in all media anyway.)

A black man was involved in Empire's creation, though. The fact you are diminishing his role to negligible size in favor of a white man to prove a point seems incredibly dishonest. I did also say 'usually'. Yes, you can find some anime with white leads, but most are Japanese. American characters are usually white because most Americans are white.

-Stuart Smith

I didn't diminish anything I simply told the facts. You assumed, erroneously, that Empire was created by black people because you didn't bother to do any research. You could have easily found out just like I did that it is co-created by a white man. He is credited as co-creator, executive producer, and writer. Lee Daniels is a similar co-creator and executime producer and director, but not a writer for the show. In other words, the black characters on Empire are being written by a white man. You didn't bother to know that, because you wanted to stay within your perspective that black people create black things and white people create white things, and you attempted to use Empire as your shining example. You should just admit you were wrong.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And "if you want more diversity, just write it yourself" is a cop out because it ignores that

a) There are often a lot of barriers that make it difficult for marginalized folks to succeed and they tend to not have the same opportunities as more privileged folks

b) Even when the above doesn't happen, their works are STILL considered a divergence from the default, and "forced" and/or an attempt to push a political agenda.

The first is only a problem if you think someone is entitled to make a successful product. Most people will never make a show regardless of what group they belong to. And sorry, it just sounds like an excuse. Plenty of people have gone from rags to riches through hard work. If mangaka who grew up in homes who couldn't even afford a 250 yen copy of a manga magazine or had to wear hand-me-down clothes can make some of the biggest series out there, then people with apparently easy access to the internet and enough time to complain about things are certainly in a better off starting position.

There are always exceptions. Just because SOME individuals can sometimes overcome harsh circumstances doesn't mean that those circumstances didn't still disadvantage them, or that they don't disadvantage other people. Your argument is on the level of "Obama got elected president, so clearly racism can't exist anymore."

Also Internet access is hardly a big indicator of wealth, considering tons and tons of literally homeless people still have Internet access through libraries, shelters, WiFi hotspots, etc. It still amazes me that people act like Internet access is some big indicator of privilege and wealth, and not one of the most basic services around, one that is now almost entirely necessary to even function at all in modern society. People who are literally starving can and often do still have access to the Internet.

But I think the most telling part of your response was your first line. I was talking about how entire groups of marginalized people are systematically disadvantaged, and you just... don't think it's a problem at all. You didn't even try to argue with me that this wasn't true. You pointed out how there are always exceptions, how sometimes people with disadvantages will still succeed. But you made no attempt to argue that certain groups don't, on an overall systematic level, have it worse.

You just don't care if they do. It's not a problem to you. Equal opportunities, freedom from discrimination?

Who cares if people have such a thing?

That is what you just argued.

Quote:
The second is a strawman. It's a case by case basis. Usually the most resistance comes up in cases where changing established characters and settings in order to be more diverse like Hollywood anime adaptions, replacing superheroes, and so forth. Lazy attempts like those are fair game to be criticized, I feel.

Oh sure, that's why there was such a huge backlash when Star Wars decided to make Luke black... oh wait, they didn't make Luke black, they just made a new character black.

Or that's why people screamed that Bill Murray got turned into a girl- oh wait, no, it was new characters who were women in a Ghostbusters movie.

Sorry, but no one is gonna buy your argument. Also I have to laugh at the idea of Hollywood anime adaptions changing things to make them "more diverse"? The Major became a white person, Goku became a white person, and while Death Note made L black, it also made Light white, so you don't really have an argument there. Most Hollywood anime adaptions Americanize the production, which generally means characters become white. The fact that in ONE case ONE of the characters (who wasn't even Japanese in the original!) became black instead of white is somehow viewed by you as Hollywood forcing diversity is pretty telling.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Quote:
The second is a strawman. It's a case by case basis. Usually the most resistance comes up in cases where changing established characters and settings in order to be more diverse like Hollywood anime adaptions, replacing superheroes, and so forth. Lazy attempts like those are fair game to be criticized, I feel.

Oh sure, that's why there was such a huge backlash when Star Wars decided to make Luke black... oh wait, they didn't make Luke black, they just made a new character black.

Or that's why people screamed that Bill Murray got turned into a girl- oh wait, no, it was new characters who were women in a Ghostbusters movie.

Sorry, but no one is gonna buy your argument.

And now I have to disagree. "Lazy" is the operative word here and The Force Awakens and Ghostbusters:Awaken the Call are neither storytelling efforts or attempts to say anything constructive about anything... They are products to make money, one very successful and the other not but both were lazy.

There are many, many problems with The Force Awakens but forced racially diversity isn't one of them. That's Lando's job! However, there is a problem they made Luke a woman. Wait, that's not the real problem. Things get questionable when the creators and producers started to compare... Finn, Poe, BB 8, Kylo Ren... um... Ray, really? Wait, give me a second... Rey, ok, wow... their main character Rey to Luke from films 4-6 and found her lacking. They compensated by giving her knowledge, abilities and power on par with Luke and Han from Return of the Jedi. I liked Finn but I could not stand Rey because her importance to this new franchise is based on being a plot breaking character.

If you wanted a Jedi, make her a Jedi. Hi Luke.
If you wanted a neophyte, start at level 1 with a blank slate. Hi Finn.
Just don't cheat.

As for Ghostbusters:Answer the Call... wait.... ok, got it right this time... The original film had characters in a plotted story portrayed by comedians and actors, Answer the Call had comedians under the veneer of characters.... and a story... and a point even if the point is; Feig: "What if the horror comedy Ghostbusters was made into a broad improv action comedy" and Pascal: "Let's do a movie that stars only women.". And Reitman: "Let's just do Ghostbuster 3."

Concept > story > characters > actors > finished film
Concept > actors > ? > finished film

The first film took the first path, the 2016 film... >?> as I've yet to be convinced there was a story. Sony wanted a massive hit franchise so they picked one that couldn't be shown in China... right there shows the level of ineptitude behind this one.

And as someone who has at least an ounce of creativity, I take offense at having to consider those placeholders in Answer the Call as "characters".... unless "mugging" and "schitk" are now possible character traits.

Make them women? Ok but make them characters in a plotted movie first and foremost. Also don't make the first trailer start off with "Hey, remember Ghostbusters?" if you never intended to build off it. And don't insult your fanbase. Or the original characters. The original story. The original creators. The comedy and horror genres. Special effects and the film medium itself.

Also, I got to point out why the Major... so much a cyborg she practically a robot... and Goku...humanoid alien... are bad examples of "white washing" as neither of them are genetically Japanese characters in the first place.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The quality of films is subjective. I haven't seen Ghostbusters, but let's talk about Force Awakens.

I'm not at all surprised though that you think what Rey did is "plot breaking" compared to what Luke did. I mean, it's not like in the first film, Luke, who had never flown an X-Wing, somehow managed to survive the trench run that every single far more experienced pilot couldn't handle, being either killed off or forced to flee. And it's not like at the end, he also managed to make a shot that was stated to be impossible even for a computer. And by doing so, saved the entire Rebel Alliance from destruction, and thus saved the galaxy.

Oh. Wait.

Both Rey and Luke show incredible force abilities in crucial moments despite lacking full training. Both are incredibly talented in certain areas. Yet it's only Rey you consider to be "plot breaking". This is despite the fact that Luke blew up the Death Star and saved the galaxy, and Rey... managed to avoid getting killed or abducted again. She wasn't even the one who saved the day at the end. Yet it's SHE who is "plot breaking".

Also, all of this is meaningless, because the backlash against Force Awakens and Ghosbusters started BEFORE the movies were even released. Before basically any details were released even. People weren't complaining about plot points. They were complaining about the presence of women and/or minorities.

As for your last point, the Major is Japanese and was born Japanese, her getting a cyborg body doesn't change that, Goku despite being an alien was still heavily inspired by Japanese stuff. Plus, the reason I brought up them in my last post wasn't even to discuss whitewashing (there's a whole other thread for that regarding the Major at least) but to counter the claim that Hollywood anime adaptions were "forcing diversity". Unless you consider making characters white to be "forcing diversity"?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
There are always exceptions. Just because SOME individuals can sometimes overcome harsh circumstances doesn't mean that those circumstances didn't still disadvantage them, or that they don't disadvantage other people. Your argument is on the level of "Obama got elected president, so clearly racism can't exist anymore."

Also Internet access is hardly a big indicator of wealth, considering tons and tons of literally homeless people still have Internet access through libraries, shelters, WiFi hotspots, etc. It still amazes me that people act like Internet access is some big indicator of privilege and wealth, and not one of the most basic services around, one that is now almost entirely necessary to even function at all in modern society. People who are literally starving can and often do still have access to the Internet.

But I think the most telling part of your response was your first line. I was talking about how entire groups of marginalized people are systematically disadvantaged, and you just... don't think it's a problem at all. You didn't even try to argue with me that this wasn't true. You pointed out how there are always exceptions, how sometimes people with disadvantages will still succeed. But you made no attempt to argue that certain groups don't, on an overall systematic level, have it worse.

You just don't care if they do. It's not a problem to you. Equal opportunities, freedom from discrimination?

Who cares if people have such a thing?

That is what you just argued.

I sincerely doubt the people with hundreds of thousands of tweets, blog/forum posts or articles on websites are poor, homeless people using the library. If they are, then their priorities are severely misplaced. These complaints are always by people who are at the very least have a comfortable enough living to be posting on social media all day and follow movies, games, current events well enough to keep in the know.

The internet makes a world of difference. This is an age where there are no limitation or barriers for putting your work online. Upload an animation or skit to YouTube, post your comic to Tumblr or some other site. Opportunities people didn't have back before the mid 90s and could only hope for an agent or company would look at their portfolio. Patreon makes it even easier since people will give you money for literally nothing. The barrier of entry for making a product about whatever kind of diversity you want is nonexistant. Whether a lot people are interested in it or not is another matter. Is it discrimination if it turns out most people don't want to read a comic about that subject?

Quote:

Those were still franchises with male leads/were male oriented, so the complaints make perfect sense to me, even as someone who isn't a big fan of either franchise. To go off Animegomaniac's post, it's lazy in the sense you're using an already established franchise to make a diverse hero. You're still just piggybacking off an established character or franchise, even if you didn't throw Tony Stark away for Riri Williams. People also complained about Extreme Ghostbusters in the 90s which only lasted a single season compared to the 7 seasons of Real Ghostbusters. People pretty much expect the Ghostbusters to be Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston.

As far as Rey goes, she just seems completely off the radar. Merchandise for her pegwarms, so is it because she is a woman or because she's bland or poorly written? People liked Mara Jade back in the day, so I would presume the latter. That's why the only complaints you saw about the Wonder Woman movie was her being too attractive or the marketing included diet products for women. Wonder Woman was always a woman. Her own original hero. Nothing for fanboys to get mad at there.

Quote:
Sorry, but no one is gonna buy your argument. Also I have to laugh at the idea of Hollywood anime adaptions changing things to make them "more diverse"? The Major became a white person, Goku became a white person, and while Death Note made L black, it also made Light white, so you don't really have an argument there. Most Hollywood anime adaptions Americanize the production, which generally means characters become white. The fact that in ONE case ONE of the characters (who wasn't even Japanese in the original!) became black instead of white is somehow viewed by you as Hollywood forcing diversity is pretty telling.

You're delibretly ignoring the side cast of those movies. Goku was white, but there were black, Korean, Chinese, Russian, Welsh, and Japanese actors playing the side characters like Bulma and Roshi. Ghost in the Shell as well had an equally diverse casting. Batou was played by a Danish guy, Borma was black, Togusa was Singaporean. Even if the leads were white, there was still far more diversity than the original Japanese source material.

-Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Is it discrimination if it turns out most people don't want to read a comic about that subject?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. If most people don't want to consume media with diverse representation, wouldn't that just mean the discrimination is shared by the consumers and producers of non-diverse media?

Have you considered that one of the reasons an audience might not be amenable to consuming independent art with diverse representation is that non-independent products with platforms exponentially larger than anything a newcomer would have access to have conditioned their audiences to appreciate a certain absence of diversity in their media?

Or do you think there's some other reason why the majority of the population would prefer their media to be minimally diverse?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I sincerely doubt the people with hundreds of thousands of tweets, blog/forum posts or articles on websites are poor, homeless people using the library. If they are, then their priorities are severely misplaced. These complaints are always by people who are at the very least have a comfortable enough living to be posting on social media all day and follow movies, games, current events well enough to keep in the know.

So every single person who complains about this has "hundreds of thousands of tweets, blog/forum posts"? Weird, I guess I somehow don't exist, as I have nowhere NEAR that many tweets, blog, or forum posts, yet I'm pretty sure I've complained about it.

"These complaints are always by people who are at the very least have a comfortable enough living to be posting on social media all day " is utter BS. People of all sorts complain about this. Some are well off, some aren't at all, some are doing okay. This is a transparent and poor attempt to dismiss everyone who has issues with diversity in media.

You've set up this scenario where any possible situation "proves" there is no issue. If no one is complaining, then well, no one is complaining. Clearly there's no problem. If people ARE complaining, then well "clearly if things were so bad for them they wouldn't be able to complain", therefore there is no problem.

Neat trick there.

Quote:
The internet makes a world of difference. This is an age where there are no limitation or barriers for putting your work online. Upload an animation or skit to YouTube, post your comic to Tumblr or some other site. Opportunities people didn't have back before the mid 90s and could only hope for an agent or company would look at their portfolio. Patreon makes it even easier since people will give you money for literally nothing. The barrier of entry for making a product about whatever kind of diversity you want is nonexistant. Whether a lot people are interested in it or not is another matter. Is it discrimination if it turns out most people don't want to read a comic about that subject?

Having access to the Internet is a super useful tool, and it's pretty much required to be successful, but it's not the ONLY thing needed to be successful. There are many other factors in play, and marginalized folks are still disadvantaged.

In addition, a lot of this topic was originally focused on anime, and has since branched out to diversity in general, especially in major industries. That niche web comic with a devoted fanbase making you $600 a month on Patreon may be nice, but it's not a mainstream success, and since it's not mainstream, it's reach will be limited. It will be sharing it's place with plenty of non-diverse creations also using patreon/youtube/etc, and it won't change any industries without a miracle.

As for your last line, I'll direct you to 鏡's post. When people are boycotting works simply because it has black people, or women, or whatever in it, then yes this is sexism/racism/etc.

Quote:
[Star wars and Ghosbusters] were still franchises with male leads/were male oriented, so the complaints make perfect sense to me, even as someone who isn't a big fan of either franchise. To go off Animegomaniac's post, it's lazy in the sense you're using an already established franchise to make a diverse hero. You're still just piggybacking off an established character or franchise, even if you didn't throw Tony Stark away for Riri Williams. People also complained about Extreme Ghostbusters in the 90s which only lasted a single season compared to the 7 seasons of Real Ghostbusters. People pretty much expect the Ghostbusters to be Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston.

It's funny you mention Animegomaniac's post, since you're directly contradicting part of what they claimed, or at least implied.

Animegomaniac: "It wasn't the diversity that made Star Wars/Ghosbusters bad"
You: "Actually, it was the diversity that made them bad."

I guess in your view, Star Wars The Force Awakens should have just been a shot for shot remake of A New Hope. After all, including anything in the new movie that wasn't in the old movie is "lazy."

Wait, what? That makes no sense. Yet that is what you basically claimed. If you're using an established franchise, you cannot do anything new, interesting, or different with it, even mildly different with it. It must be a constant, infinite retread.

Actually, I'd guess you'd claim I'm misstating your argument there, and to be honest, I think I did do so a bit. I think that you probably ARE okay with franchises doing things at least a little bit different, a little bit new, especially over time.

Unless that "little bit different" thing happens to include making a more diverse cast. Then it's "lazy" somehow.

Quote:

You're delibretly ignoring the side cast of those movies. Goku was white, but there were black, Korean, Chinese, Russian, Welsh, and Japanese actors playing the side characters like Bulma and Roshi. Ghost in the Shell as well had an equally diverse casting. Batou was played by a Danish guy, Borma was black, Togusa was Singaporean. Even if the leads were white, there was still far more diversity than the original Japanese source material.

-Stuart Smith

I was focusing on the leads, because Hollywood is so obsessed with the leads. But also, you're being deceptive here. These are US releases. Do you know what someone in the US sees when they look at this guy here?

A white guy. Just another white dude. You can point out he's a white guy who wasn't born in the US, but that's meaningless, because I'm moderately certain the US generally is fairly okay about allowing WHITE guys born outside of here to succeed in Hollywood. That you ignore this, and use Batou being played by this white guy as an example of "Hollywood forcing diversity" is pretty weird.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
I love how Stuart says that maybe most people don't want to watch films with diverse casts, yet Fast and Furious and Star Wars have had complete domination over the box office, raking in many billions of dollars. And Zootopia, a little kids movie that was completely about diversity and racism was a smash hit, also topping a billion dollars, while winning almost 100% rating from critics and winning an Oscar. Yep, nobody wants to see that stuff Rolling Eyes

And no, Ghost in the Shell movie was not diverse. There were only four characters who really mattered and got significant screen time (five if you count Kuze, but he didn't get much screen time) - the Major, Batou, Dr. Ouelet, and Cutter. All are white. Unfortunately I can't even count Aramaki among those who mattered because his role was so one dimensional and they had him speaking a different language than the rest of the cast for the whole movie... So no, that was not a diverse movie. I wasn't even that concerned about the "whitewashing" I just wanted a good story, but even with a primarily white cast (so appealing to your most people I guess?) it still bombed. They screwed up the story.

You can complain all you want about Star Wars putting a woman in the lead role. It will still make billions more and you and all of your friends will see it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Not sure if Star Wars and Fast and Furious are the best examples.

Star Wars is so recognizable that it wouldn't have mattered who they put in the lead role. Fast and Furious started off with a white male dude as kind of the main character. Well maybe Vin Diesel and Paul Walker kind of shared the lead role. I don't think losing Paul Walker really hurt the franschise though. The newest Fast and Furious seems to have been a pretty big success. I haven't seen it yet, but I will whenever it'll available on some streaming service or something. Maybe.

I haven't really bothered to comment on this subject since I'm kind of indifferent about it. I guess I'm fan of Fast and Furious because I like cars. I like Star Wars too because I'm a fan of scifi, Force Awakens was a good movie in my opinion. Then again I could barely watch a couple episodes of Jessica Jones, I found it too slow paced and boring. Also I stopped watching Luke Cage because I just lost interest for some reason. But I find Daredevil to be a super awesome TV series. I don't really care that much whether the lead character is a man, women, black, white, hispanic or asian. If the story is interesting then that's all that matters to me.

So do I think anime needs more diversity? Uhh... I dunno. I don't really care.

Would I watch an anime if the main character wasn't Japanese? Totally.

Psycho101 said a while back that forcing in diverse characters may cause issues. That immediately made me think of a couple of video games. Battlefield 1 takes place in WW1 but the developers put in black germans soldiers which pissed off a ton of people because "it isn't realistic". Personally, I get where those complaints are coming from, kinda, but I still think those comments were kind of silly. I only bought the game for its gameplay so I didn't really care. Same kind of thing is happening with the upcoming Call of Duty WW2 which takes place in WW2 as the the name suggests. You can play as a black german women, apparently. They'll replace all the swastikas with Iron Crosses because swastikas are nasty and evil (only in multiplayer though I think). Laughing I saw a ton of comments saying they won't buy the game because of all that. "That's not realistic!!!". And all I could think was "It's Call of Duty...". Does someone play CoD for its historical authenticity? I'll buy the game for its gameplay.

So yeah, give me something entertaining and I'll consume it. Whether it's the anime Gate with its nationalism, Fast and Furious with its diverse cast or Game of Thrones with all the raping, murdering and other nastiness.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Not sure if Star Wars and Fast and Furious are the best examples.

Star Wars is so recognizable that it wouldn't have mattered who they put in the lead role. Fast and Furious started off with a white male dude as kind of the main character. Well maybe Vin Diesel and Paul Walker kind of shared the lead role. I don't think losing Paul Walker really hurt the franschise though. The newest Fast and Furious seems to have been a pretty big success. I haven't seen it yet, but I will whenever it'll available on some streaming service or something. Maybe.

Star Wars is extremely recognizable, but that doesn't guarantee 2 BILLION dollars at the box office. There are only 3 films in history that have gone over 2 billion, and Force Awakens is one of them.

On the list of top grossing films, Furious 7 is number 6 at 1.5 billion. Fate of the Furious, which doesn't include Paul Walker, is number 11 currently (still playing in theatres) at 1.2 billion.

Obviously, brand name helps a lot but if diversity of cast kills movies as Stuart Smith suggests, then these movies wouldn't be nearly as successful. As you indicated, most people want a good story whether the cast is diverse or not. Having a good story plus a diverse cast is a big bonus, as we see with Star Wars and Fast & Furious (and although the F&F films started off mostly just about Paul Walker character, as they have expanded the cast with diverse characters, the success has grown more and more massive.)
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Diversity might disrespect historical accuracy when the production in question is a historical non-fiction set in Japan...for every other instance of diversity in anime (IE. in shows like Michiko and Hatchin) I'm not sure why it would break your immersion, or in what sense it lacks creativity.

If you want an example, there were those Disney Faries Tinkerbell films awhile back my neice used to watch. The fairies were all multicultural and diverse despite being born from the same method. Made no sense. If overanalyzing movies for preschoolers isnt your thing, Middle-Earth get criticized for all being white. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean you can ignore world building and do whatever.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

You can complain all you want about Star Wars putting a woman in the lead role. It will still make billions more and you and all of your friends will see it.

TFA was a success despite her being the lead. Do you seriously think TFA is a hit because of Rey rather than the return of the original trilogy cast for nostalgia? No one likes Rey, Hasbro themselves said as much. People like Jar Jar more than her, and that's saying something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
鏡 wrote:
Diversity might disrespect historical accuracy when the production in question is a historical non-fiction set in Japan...for every other instance of diversity in anime (IE. in shows like Michiko and Hatchin) I'm not sure why it would break your immersion, or in what sense it lacks creativity.

If you want an example, there were those Disney Faries Tinkerbell films awhile back my neice used to watch. The fairies were all multicultural and diverse despite being born from the same method. Made no sense. If overanalyzing movies for preschoolers isnt your thing, Middle-Earth get criticized for all being white. Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean you can ignore world building and do whatever.

Why would it make more sense for fairies to all be born with the same skin colour? Aren't they literally magic? Why would world-building in a fantasy setting be better served by racial homogeneity than racial diversity?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Guile wrote:

Why would it make more sense for fairies to all be born with the same skin colour? Aren't they literally magic? Why would world-building in a fantasy setting be better served by racial homogeneity than racial diversity?

Yea this Tinkerbell example made me laugh. People are so committed to their anti-diversity point of view that they are going to complain about magical make believe fairies not being all white? I think this shows us just how deep this problem goes Shocked
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

TFA was a success despite her being the lead. Do you seriously think TFA is a hit because of Rey rather than the return of the original trilogy cast for nostalgia? No one likes Rey, Hasbro themselves said as much. People like Jar Jar more than her, and that's saying something.

Yeah, it is saying something, it's saying how strong sexism can be... or it would be saying that, if it was actually true. But it's not. While her haters are quite vocal, she's actually a popular character, just like the movie itself is popular.

But bringing up Hasbro is a great example of how sexism in an industry feeds off itself. Hasbo excludes Rey from their monopoly game, then tries to deny sexism had anything to do with it, and uses the transparent excuse that she's just not popular. And to prove this, people use... the fact that she was excluded from the monopoly set. Circular reasoning at its finest.

Of course, despite being "less popular than Jar Jar", there was a massive backlash to her exclusion which resulted in Hasbro rescinding the decision. So much for not being popular.

But I know what you're gonna say. Oh, but didn't I read the recent news articles? The new monopoly games with the Rey figures aren't available in the US yet due to "lack of interest," according to Hasbro. That proves the backlash was just an overstated Internet phenomenon, and that she's not really popular, right?

Except, I actually *did* read those articles. I read them past the clickbait headlines. And you see, the Rey version of monopoly is actually available in the US, ordering online. It's just not available at retail. And the reason why is because the "lack of interest" stated by Hasbro is from the retailers, not the customers. And the reason the retailers aren't interested in it is they still have "ample" stock of the original, according to Hasbro.

Obviously a store with a bunch of unsold monopoly games isn't gonna want to add to their stockpile. But this is bizarre. Hasbo made the Rey version available in early 2016. Star Wars Force Awakens was an incredibly popular movie. And some quick googling reveals that Star Wars merchandise is popular as well, and is selling VERY well.

So how bizarre is it then that, if the articles are to be believed, in a year and a half, not a SINGLE retailer has sold out it's stock of the Star Wars monopoly game and needed to order more? Despite the popularity of the movie and the general popularity of the merchandise?

Huh. It's almost like those Star Wars monopoly games are lacking something, some crucial element to the success of the movie. I wonder what it could be?

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Would I watch an anime if the main character wasn't Japanese? Totally.

Was there actually someone who said they wouldn't? If so, that leaves them not watching A LOT of anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9