• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diversity in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
See more glass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Is Kaze to Ki no Uta the only manga/anime with a gypsy person in it? Question

I think KKU is a good manga, probably because it was one of the first manga about explicit gay relationships, so the annoying BL trappings like seme/uke hadn't appeared yet (same with yuri).
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
See more glass wrote:
Is Kaze to Ki no Uta the only manga/anime with a gypsy person in it? Question

I read Faustine (aka Fostine), a manga by Hara Chieko, in the original, and its heroine was a member of a travelling Romany group.
spoiler[In the middle of the story of the manga, it was revealed that the heroine was a daughter of an Austrian nobleman, however.]
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Currently I am in the third season of Doremi (amazing series btw) and I was pleasantly surprised about ep14. haven't seen many anime or even western series that tackle racism in such a realistic and touching way.
It is a series meant for kids btw. Because grown ups supposedly know everything already

spoiler[a returnee from New York in Japan invites her friends and one of them is surprised that her best friend while living in America is a black girl who helped her learn English and the guitar. Which girl in turn has made friends with a Japanese girl and learned the language.]
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Froschess wrote:
1.Do you guys think anime needs more diversity?

In terms of anime made in other countries, yes. It'd be nice to get some interesting perspectives brought into the medium.

In terms of characters, there's already a huge diversity that spans beyond race into species.

Froschess wrote:
2. Would you watch an anime if the main character he/she wasn't Japanese? Like Spanish, Black, Native American or any other race.

A number of characters have been described as such: non-Japanese. However, at times, I tend to question their ability to properly depict these other ethnicities. After all, Japan is a country that is pretty much 99% monoethnic. Instead of a properly depicted ethnic group, they can only really show how they see other ethnic groups.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9