• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is The Lifestyle Of A Manga Artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
In general, people spend long times drawing pages for their comics, though there are always those who can crank them out. It isn't just drawing either, planning your work, composition, research, references, etc. eats into the time as well. Then there's the business and promotional side of things like doing interviews, attending events and so on. That eats into your time as well. Check this link for how people cope with deadlines and stuff in the comics industry: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/longform/the-life-and-times-of-the-modern-comic-book-artist/

Plus the kinds of injuries people can get: http://comicsalliance.com/artists-drawing-injuries/

So you can imagine how rough manga artists, who in general are expected to put out more, write and continue their works, for far longer, have it. People like to talk about how lazy certain artists are or assume they must not like doing their own work anymore, but you don't really know how they approach their work or what goes on in their lives. Like people thought Togashi was lazy until it was revealed he screwed up his back.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
And then you have Hiro Mashima who draws so fast he sleeps 7 hours the day and periodically makes 2 chapters per week just because he can.

Is actually impressive, how his art doesn't go down. Most Mangakas stop drawing backgrounds *cough*kubo*cough* with time.

Mashima uses like six assistants, do you think he pays them to sit and do nothing?

MarshalBanana wrote:
Takao Saito is 80 years old, he's older than Miyazaki, and is still working on Golgo 13. So these youngsters should not be being burnt out.

Saito apparently doesn't write the story, his editors do. He creates the layout and inks the main characters' faces, while assistants provide the backgrounds and other elements. Still impressive that he's still doing it, but he has a lot of help.

If the series is ''established'' in a major magazine, just assume the artists have assistants unless its stated otherwise. There are very few artists who have made famous series all or mostly by themselves. If you don't believe Togashi has serious health problems at this point then you're just ignorant and jumping on the hater bandwagon.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Is the $100 per page figure correct? Because at 18 pages each week, that doesn't really seem like "barely enough to live on". Unless that's only for monthly manga, which can go from 8-60 pages a month. Which is still not that bad if you do 60.
Although, of course, the amount of work needed is still huge.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The very top manga artists can rake in millions. Eichiro Oda, for example, was reported to have taken home ¥1.3 Billion (US$15 Million) in 2009 alone.

The how much is an artist or a writer paid in the US in a year?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The average royalties made by manga artists successful enough to get tankoubon printed was reported to be just ¥2.8 Million (~US$35,000) in 2009 -- enough to live on, but not particularly well. And those are the artists are still the more successful ones: many artists' work is not popular enough to be printed in anything but anthology form.

How exactly does a publisher know when a manga series is popular in the manga magazine it's serialized in? Those things have hundreds of pages containing plenty of different manga series.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:

How exactly does a publisher know when a manga series is popular in the manga magazine it's serialized in? Those things have hundreds of pages containing plenty of different manga series.

Feedback (polls, etc.,), volume sales and things like that.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Is the $100 per page figure correct? Because at 18 pages each week, that doesn't really seem like "barely enough to live on". Unless that's only for monthly manga, which can go from 8-60 pages a month. Which is still not that bad if you do 60.
Although, of course, the amount of work needed is still huge.

Yeah I was thinking that especially with the $35,000 a year tankoubon top up.

In the UK $66,560 is all you need to earn to be in the top 10 percent of earners. In the USA it's $125,000.

I guess those running ANN are a lot wealthier than we thought if $57,000+ (based on a low page count of 12 pages a week for 48 weeks a year) is a piddly amount.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
foxinthestars wrote:
It's really unfortunate, though. Even my favorite manga in the world, I would happily choose to cut the release schedule in half in exchange for the artist's health and happiness. And this way we lose the voices of people who just can't function on a schedule like that or are healthily unwilling to do it to themselves.

We don't HAVE to lose their voices. If you're someone that doesn't cope well with the rigorous schedule, you can always self-publish on the web. Get a regular 9-5, and do this in your spare time. Besides, most major publication manga is goes through the editorial process, so it's not like it's the "unfiltered" creativity of the artist.
residentgrigo wrote:
DC´s 4 CW shows made the company a profit of 1 billion in 2016 alone.

I found this statement hard to believe so I looked it up, I found the below, but please correct me if you're basing on something else:
http://lrmonline.com/news/dc-tv-shows-make-over-1-billion-a-year-in-revenue-for-time-warner

Based on that, the CW shows made $1billion in revenue... for Time Warner, I'm sure a FRACTION of that went to DC. Or, to put it in perspective, "Captain America: Civil War" (noted in the article) made over $1billion in box office, but Marvel specifically did not make a billion from it. Not to say they didn't get any money off of it, but I'm sure their take was significantly lower.

Which is a long way to say, I don't think a guy making 25+mil/year (Oda) is "underpaid". But even if he is, he STILL make more money/year than 99% of US comic artists (probably 100% but McFarland has a whole bunch of projects, so who knows) considering that most comic artists do "work for hire" wherein they don't retain a lot of rights with respect to their work.
http://thrillbent.com/blog/how-dc-contracts-work/
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
I guess those running ANN are a lot wealthier than we thought if $57,000+ (based on a low page count of 12 pages a week for 48 weeks a year) is a piddly amount.

A few things to keep in mind:
-Living in Tokyo is pretty expensive (like living in NY)
-If a manga artist has any assistants (they often do) they need to pay them themselves, so divide as appropriate there
-Like games, manga are a "hit" based business, meaning yes a mangaka may make $70k in a "good" year on page work alone, but if their title crashes, then they have no source of income until they get back in the magazine. ie. you either save some of your money as a safety net (and a larger net than most need) or you're gonna have big periods of questioning if you can make rent and forced to subsist on who knows what.

Its why I'm not surprised Kubo tried to milk Bleach for as long as he could.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
yeah, saying 100 usd per page and one page per day is an average, some mangakas produce more pages, but then again they also have assitants, so you coudl assume the math works pretty much the same.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Since the original question was about the mangakas well being I expected to hear something about what they eat or how much, sleep deprivation probably is not the only culprit for having mangakas die young.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood, while I don't know if he still does, it was at least in a 2008 interview where Mashima said he and assistants have an 8000 sq. ft. work area. In addition to him often getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, he also has a daughter (born in 2006) that he has to find time for. Another thing I enjoy about FT is how Mashima even puts NaLu artwork on his Twitter. Us NaLu fans will be happy when the 2 finally kiss in the manga.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Ushio wrote:

A few things to keep in mind:
-Living in Tokyo is pretty expensive (like living in NY)
-If a manga artist has any assistants (they often do) they need to pay them themselves, so divide as appropriate there
-Like games, manga are a "hit" based business, meaning yes a mangaka may make $70k in a "good" year on page work alone, but if their title crashes, then they have no source of income until they get back in the magazine. ie. you either save some of your money as a safety net (and a larger net than most need) or you're gonna have big periods of questioning if you can make rent and forced to subsist on who knows what.

Its why I'm not surprised Kubo tried to milk Bleach for as long as he could.

I know Japan‘s expensive, but 1800 usd a week is still way higher than the minimum wage there. Yeah, I didn't consider assistants, but I'm sure that those do get paid peanuts. And, well, of course you're not getting paid if you're not working. Yes, it's an unstable job, but if that 100 usd figure is correct, it's not slavery at all. That's what I'm talking about. Animators actually do have a hard time getting food on the table, whereas mangaka, while still having a huge workload that leaves them with 0 free time, seem like they at least get to eat.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
epicwizard wrote:

Feedback (polls, etc.,), volume sales and things like that.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Smile
lamfrank9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
The anime Bakuman does a nice job of showing the life of a manga artist. It pretty much explains a lot of the information here. 1st season only though. Maybe some of the 2nd season. Skip the 3rd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3