• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is The Lifestyle Of A Manga Artist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Justin could have mentioned how quickly most manga burn out, as careers that last over a decade are rare. Looking at what a salaryman makes and how much they need to work also shows that the comic slaves have it as rough as many others.
The compare: Famous Spawn and New52 Batman mega-artist Greg Capullo said on a Kevin Smith podcast that he works 55 hours a week (mostly from home) and he is one of the few who can drawn (nearly) 12 issues a year.

Can someone give me a link to the list of mangaka that became millionaires due to their work. It´s not a long list...

check wikipedia's best selling manga, at 1usd per volume of royalties only the ones that sell over a million manga volumes are millonaire, since the 100 usd they get per page at 30 pages per month are non capitalizable living expenses .

The 100 dollars they make per page is only for newbies. And a weekly mangaka makes around 68 to 80 pages per month. And so 6.800 to 8.000 dollars per month. That in no way are "living expenses" kind of money. A monthly mangaka doesn't makes 30 pages per month, they make around 40 to 50 pages per month(and certainly receive more money per page), from 4.000 to 5.000 dollars per month.

And like I said that is for Noob mangakas, as you get more time and success your pages start to get more valuable and you get paid more. Is believed that the top mangaka earn around 500 dollars per page. Oda yearly earning estimation, by professionals in the business, assumed that he was receiving this 500 dollars.

Oda makes between 15 and 17 pages per chapter, average of 16 pages, and so he earns in a month 32.000 dollars. For some people that is their entire annual earnings.

Last edited by bigivel on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Ushio wrote:
I guess those running ANN are a lot wealthier than we thought if $57,000+ (based on a low page count of 12 pages a week for 48 weeks a year) is a piddly amount.

A few things to keep in mind:
-Living in Tokyo is pretty expensive (like living in NY)
-If a manga artist has any assistants (they often do) they need to pay them themselves, so divide as appropriate there
-Like games, manga are a "hit" based business, meaning yes a mangaka may make $70k in a "good" year on page work alone, but if their title crashes, then they have no source of income until they get back in the magazine. ie. you either save some of your money as a safety net (and a larger net than most need) or you're gonna have big periods of questioning if you can make rent and forced to subsist on who knows what.

Its why I'm not surprised Kubo tried to milk Bleach for as long as he could.

This is not true! A mangaka is a contract worker and even after their manga ends, they are still earning money from the company for at least 1 to 2 years before their contracts expire.

Don't forget that because mangaka are employees they have to earn a normal salary, and at least in Weekly Shonen Jump, in the end of the year the magazine distribute money, on merit, to their Mangakas. A author without manga still earns this yearly money.

Also the Assistants are only payed per hour or day. And they only work around 3 days per week. That is a major reason why some assistants work for more than 1 mangaka and/or have other works to get their money back.
This is 12 days per month. If we believe that an Assistant earns 1.500 dollars per month(20 days of work), they earn 900 dollars per month from 1 mangaka.
A mangaka that earns 57.000 dollars(that is a big underestimation), can pay for 5 assistants with that money. If he only has 2, he still gets 2.950 dollars for himself. Assuming that he expends 1,500 dollars for Studio rent and materials. He ends up with a monthly salary of 1.450 dollars for himself.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
They work to much, get paid very little and are prone to illness due to overworking.

And when a mangaka of a good series dies, for me, it feels like someone very close just passed away. I still feel sad that Cocoa Fujiwara (Age: 31) died...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
DC´s 4 CW shows made the company a profit of 1 billion in 2016 alone.

I found this statement hard to believe so I looked it up, I found the below, but please correct me if you're basing on something else:
http://lrmonline.com/news/dc-tv-shows-make-over-1-billion-a-year-in-revenue-for-time-warner

Based on that, the CW shows made $1billion in revenue... for Time Warner, I'm sure a FRACTION of that went to DC.

Also, revenue isn't profit. The $1billion a year is before they pay out expenses, which includes all the employees (as well as other costs of making the things.)
svines85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
A great article, thanks a lot Smile

Hey, what about Suzue Miuchi, right? She's so successful and laid back she doesn't even have to finish her manga Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
@HeeroTX DC Comics = Time Warner, as DC got purchased by them in 1967. That billion is also in revenue, meaning all plus. Production cost and so on would need to have already been factored in, by the word definition alone. They obviously won´t keep all that money, salaries and new productions will be payed from it, but still. Oda deseves more yearly income than what an A-list actor get for 1 starring role alone.
Aka only 50-100 days of work. Especially after over 2 decades (!) of service to SJ.

Oda is THE most successful Japanese (comic) artist of all time, even a national figure (!), and the sole creative force behind One Piece. SJ is swindling him with the projected revenue, in the same way Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee and co. we by the Big 2. McFarlane´s current net worth (Spawn film reboot when !?!):
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/producers/todd-mcfarlane-net-worth/

Oda is now THE draw to read the anthology magazine SJ, with all the big (international) hits now on ice. Any sensible man would have pulled an Image Comics on his employers, as that was how McFarlane and co. became millionaires over night. But he is Japanese, so he will never do it... A shame.
Image was lastly one of the best things that happened to creator rights in the US comic medium, so it wasn´t all "greed". Artistic integrity was another major factor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Oda is now THE draw to read the anthology magazine SJ, with all the big (international) hits now on ice. Any sensible man would have pulled an Image Comics on his employers, as that was how McFarlane and co. became millionaires over night. But he is Japanese, so he will never do it... A shame.

This has nothing to do with Oda being japanese and everything to do with different business model. In Japan all mangaka (from Oda to the lowliest mangaka that can't even get his work to sell as a compilation) are owners of the intellectual property they create and the company they work for do all the paperwork for them to get royalties associated with them. Not a bad deal for a mangaka unless s/he has already retired. In the USA nowadays warner/disney will hand you a piece of paper to "donate" any new characters you have created in the title you work at, failure to comply means that character is to never appear again. People that worked in a comic will receive revenue from re-prints, but that is the end of it, the really juicy royalties (merchandise, movies, tv series, etc.) will always for the parent company (and they will fight in court for decades if needs be). So "pulling an image" is more attractive in the USA, but you will have to deal with the legalities of your IP yourself and many return to work for marvel/dc because their own works are not popular enough.
onyxskies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:
The very top manga artists can rake in millions. Eichiro Oda, for example, was reported to have taken home ¥1.3 Billion (US$15 Million) in 2009 alone.

The how much is an artist or a writer paid in the US in a year?

The average amounts generally vary depending on how popular an author or material is at the time, but the "going rate" is a $5,000-$10,000 advance with a 5-15% royalty paid after the advance is met ( so 10% of a $25 hardcover would be either off list= $2.25 or net proceeds= $1.25 per book.) Authors also have to pay for their agents (roughly 20%) and advertising.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
A monthly mangaka doesn't makes 30 pages per month, they make around 40 to 50 pages per month(and certainly receive more money per page), from 4.000 to 5.000 dollars per month.

Uh, I have a subscription to a Japanese monthly magazine (Comp Ace) and the average page count per chapter is about 30, with some dipping down to 20 or so. I'm sure it varies from publisher to publisher, but not a single comic in this magazine approaches 50 pages per month, and presumably these people count as real mangaka. So what you're saying clearly isn't universal.

In a more general sense, I really do wonder what the life of someone publishing monthly, or less than monthly, is like. Articles like these always focus on the weekly mangaka and how they have no free time, but how different must a monthly mangaka be? Heck, one artist I follow only publishes every other month but she still managed to overwork herself to the point of being hospitalized twice in one year.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
In a more general sense, I really do wonder what the life of someone publishing monthly, or less than monthly, is like. Articles like these always focus on the weekly mangaka and how they have no free time, but how different must a monthly mangaka be? Heck, one artist I follow only publishes every other month but she still managed to overwork herself to the point of being hospitalized twice in one year.

In general, it's still difficult. In comics, artists have difficulty doing a couple of issues a month (usually 20+ pages), with or without assistants (this isn't including colouring or letters either) and they usually rotate artists for long runs. For mangaka doing monthlies, yeah, usually 30+ pages (can range), they're expected to be mostly in charge of their work story and art-wise, and they continue for years, some have come out saying they're working long hours all the time, 7 days a week, no vacations (one of them being Miura, despite people calling him lazy). Depending on their art style, working methods, etc., some can take quicker or longer, but in general, you're still working hard.

Which is why I don't hold it against artists for taking hiatuses so they can actually have a life (they could still even be working on their projects during their hiatuses, collecting material, doing research, etc.,)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Considering the rise of some web manga, do you think that web manga-ka have better working and sleeping conditions compared to the standard print manga-ka?
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Considering the rise of some web manga, do you think that web manga-ka have better working and sleeping conditions compared to the standard print manga-ka?

If they're totally in control of their webcomic, they can work on it on their own pace, so yeah, I'd guess.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
With all the news about animators barely making rent, I feel like being a mangaka is almost as rough. I'm shocked how artists doing long-running series like Oda and Miura haven't just burned out from doing this for 20+ years. Then again, when you're doing something you love, it counts for a lot.

Souther wrote:
Which is why I don't hold it against artists for taking hiatuses so they can actually have a life (they could still even be working on their projects during their hiatuses, collecting material, doing research, etc.,)

Yeah, people shockingly have lives outside of work and the reality is that a lot of mangaka are still doing research and planning things out.

I'm noticing that a lot of fans have this kneejerk impulse to call an artist lazy whenever there's an hiatus, Miura and Togashi immediately come to mind. As a World Trigger fan, I'm seeing some fans calling for a statement from Daisuke Ashihara and I think it sounds pretty entitled to demand a response from someone on hiatus for health problems.

I'm curious about the work schedule for webcomics/manga. Most webcomics I know publish weekly, which sounds hectic, but most web comics are also shorter than a typical manga chapter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3