• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurryupmode

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Thank you for including Time Of Eve.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Heard of 12 on this section of the list; of those, seen only six.

Never thought I'd hear anyone speak of Twilight of the Cockroaches ever again! I had a VHS copy for years, waiting in vain for a DVD release. This film was wonderfully surreal, and if anything could make you feel for garbage-eating vermin, this is the movie. And the choice of having the humans depicted in live-action footage was simply inspired.

Same appreciation for anyone giving Project A-ko the love it deserves. It's been years since I've seen it, but its cheerfully demented energy left an indelible impression. It's a title I've been meaning to share with the missus, a recent newcomer to anime fandom. (Though I fear it may be an uphill battle; "J" has expressed a clear preference for the aesthetic of today's CG-painted production.)

And Mike's right...Utena the feature does require--and deserve--repeated viewings. But without the TV series, one can spend an eternity pondering the mystery that is Nanami the Cow...

And with Horus, Prince of the Sun at the top, it certainly gives me a nudge to watch the copy on my shelf!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
(or is your rule literally to exclude the Paste list?)

I'm kind of amazed that some people still didn't understand, after four entire articles, what Mike's biggest restriction for this list was, outside of "it had to run in theaters".

I mean, it's called The Other 100... That instantly means that he's not including stuff that was on another Top 100 list, which in this case means the Paste list. If a seemingly obvious choice is not in Mike's list, then it's likely because Paste already included it in their list. I'm sure Mike (& Zac) likely figured that the "Other" in the title would have made it obvious, but I guess not... Even after Mike put an explanation at the very beginning of every single part of this list, at that.

Anyway, as for this final part, the only entries I've actually seen are One Piece: Baron Omatsuri (which I honestly don't remember much of, aside from it being pretty different from the usual OP movie fare), Megazone 23 (which I actually wound up enjoying after I saw both Parts & started to think about it), & Mystery of Mamo (tons of fun, & a memorably bizarre ending), but I do have a bunch of the others in my collection that I should really get to. Seeing Mike's list almost makes me want to try comprising my own list, but then I remember that I hate organizing stuff into numbered lists, so I probably won't bother.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
I also wouldn't have minded seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love? here, either, but I do admit that I am quite biased since that film was the very first anime that I saw in its original language and the film that got me officially into anime.

Didn't DYRL make it into the 26-50 section?

Macross: DYRL placed 16th on Paste Magazine's list, which Mike's list is supposed to complement. Other movies people are saying Mike gave the shaft to, like End of Evangelion and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, are on that list as well.

Looking at that list, I completely understand why Mike felt compelled to make his own with movies Paste Magazine ignored, but I'm surprised neither of them included Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked. I suppose it's because that movie is only effective and accessible to people who watched the TV series first, but I still consider it the best thing Tomino has ever directed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Thank you for putting this list together Mike; it will serve me as an excellent guide to find more anime movies to watch. And I am cool with you having that many movies from the 80s; I consider this decade to be the golden era of anime films.
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
This list is a lot more interesting than the Paste Magazine list that inspired it, and the rankings here make a lot more sense too. I'm a bit disappointed Wolf Children didn't make Mike's list, but other than that it's about as good a list as anyone could have made.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
And so it ends... it's been a nice ride and I've definitely enjoyed a lot reading these articles. A lot of underrated stuff and things I had never heard about.
Just a few movies I wish had made the cut, though. Starting with A tree of Palme ,which is one of the most beautiful films I've ever watched (by the director of the wonderful, although sadly overlooked Fantastic Children). I really thought it was going to appear on the top 25 ... oh well .
Less surprising was not to find Harmony, which I also adore but had quite a negative response, and Garo: Divine Flame, which was pretty much ignored by the masses even though it was absolutely gorgeous to look at and it had some of the best actions scenes I've seen in a while.
Honourable mentions to Escaflowne the movie (glad it got mentioned here in the comments too) and Darkside blues (which honestly I thought would appear in this top 100 too) Confused
duckdealer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I would have put Evangelion 3.0 on the list instead of 2.0, but that's more for personal reasons. Fabulous list of great stuff many of which I will have to check out for the first time!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
I also wouldn't have minded seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love? here, either, but I do admit that I am quite biased since that film was the very first anime that I saw in its original language and the film that got me officially into anime.

Didn't DYRL make it into the 26-50 section?

Macross: DYRL placed 16th on Paste Magazine's list, which Mike's list is supposed to complement. Other movies people are saying Mike gave the shaft to, like End of Evangelion and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, are on that list as well.

Looking at that list, I completely understand why Mike felt compelled to make his own with movies Paste Magazine ignored, but I'm surprised neither of them included Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked. I suppose it's because that movie is only effective and accessible to people who watched the TV series first, but I still consider it the best thing Tomino has ever directed.

I'm guilty of not realizing that Mike's list is all movies that didn't appear in Paste's list!

I do agree with you about Ideon: Be Invoked, although I will say that it's still accessible to those that haven't seen the TV series since the first Ideon film, A Contact covers the events of the TV series, albeit with some changes.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I know this might be a difficult question to answer without breaking the rules, but, are most of these movies readily available? I'm looking through Discotek's catalogue and I didn't realize how many of these they've released in the past few years, so that's a nice surprise, but how many of them are like, only available by hunting down a torrent for a rip of a 50-times copied VHS fansub or ordering a (no sub) dvd from a Japanese bargain store?

Maybe I should back up. My exposure to anime movies, aside from Ghibi/Hosoda/Shinkai and franchise stuff, is pretty much nill. Not because I'm not interested, but because it always seemed too daunting to find them and I have had no idea where to start. So maybe what I should be asking is, how does a newcomer get into this world of anime movies?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Maybe I should back up. My exposure to anime movies, aside from Ghibi/Hosoda/Shinkai and franchise stuff, is pretty much nill. Not because I'm not interested, but because it always seemed too daunting to find them and I have had no idea where to start. So maybe what I should be asking is, how does a newcomer get into this world of anime movies?

Good question. I think something like this varies a bit depending on country, location and availability. It doesn't require it to be a non-Ghibli/Hosoda/Shinkai to be worth diving into. It's all about your interest and motivations to see something different and unique. Stuff like the Patlabor movies, Perfect Blue, etc really got me interested in other films in the anime medium.

I think you should start by looking at major companies like Funimation and see what they have in their catalogs, then just start buying/renting films one by one. Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll do have their share of the movies to pick at. I say, keep an open mind and watch whatever you find, whether its a genre you typically enjoy or not. You will be surprised by what you find.

Personally, I tend to try and buy anime films more so than series since they are generally cheaper and easier to obtain to some degree. Amazon has an amazing catalog and shouldn't be underestimated when diving into this arena of the medium.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
how many of them are like, only available by hunting down a torrent for a rip of a 50-times copied VHS fansub or ordering a (no sub) dvd from a Japanese bargain store?

Importing DVDs from Japan? Some of them might be, but you'd be surprised how many of these movies have some sort of available translation. Hell, just try YouTube, since all sorts of people upload stuff like these on there all the time; it's not legal, but at the same time no one can normally arrest you for watching something that's on YouTube.

As for the fansubs, there's actually been a bit of a focus on redoing older anime fansubs so that they're in the best quality possible. LD ripping so that fansubs of stuff that isn't on DVD yet (even in Japan) has become rather popular (relatively, that is), so I doubt any of Mike's picks in his entire list require relying on old VHS (or even early digital) fansubs anymore.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
how many of them are like, only available by hunting down a torrent for a rip of a 50-times copied VHS fansub or ordering a (no sub) dvd from a Japanese bargain store?
As for the fansubs, there's actually been a bit of a focus on redoing older anime fansubs so that they're in the best quality possible. LD ripping so that fansubs of stuff that isn't on DVD yet (even in Japan) has become rather popular (relatively, that is), so I doubt any of Mike's picks in his entire list require relying on old VHS (or even early digital) fansubs anymore.

Also, when you're picking "Sea Prince & Fire Child", "Jack & the Beanstalk", Toei's "Puss in Boots" or "Alakazam the Great" as "classic" 60's-70's proto-anime features, it's more likely on childhood memories of the anime we could only see as dubbed kiddy-anime features on early-80's Columbia and Fox kids-label VHS, back we didn't know they were anime.

Some have recently been rescued by Discotek for historic value, but I'm pretty sure that's not where the majority of Mike's recollections are coming from.
I'm assuming Paste already put Unico on their list, otherwise it would have ended up here too.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena is the most important anime of the 1990s. Everyone tries to tell me that Evangelion was perhaps more instrumental to the medium, but they're wrong.

How does it feel to be "wrong"? (Seriously, it's the next line. Laughing)

Except I defy Mr. Toole (or anyone else) to prove the point. It's all well and good to say "I liked X better, therefore it is more important", but that doesn't REMOTELY make it true. Give me ONE way that Utena was more "instrumental to the medium" more than Evangelion, or Sailor Moon or Pokemon. Aside from "it spoke to all the lonely possibly depressed LGBT fans out there" (which one can ARGUE Sailor Moon did more effectively, not saying that's a fact, but that it could be argued).

I'm saying if you're going to make a broad declaration that Utena is "the most important anime of the 1990s" you gotta back that up or you come across as either an ignoramus or a troll. At least 3 of my personal all-time favorite anime come from the 90s and I wouldn't call ANY of them the "most important anime" of the period. And I'll repeat, its that kind of hyperbole that makes people who are NOT fans view it as ridiculously over-hyped trash.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
invalidname wrote:
(or is your rule literally to exclude the Paste list?)

I'm kind of amazed that some people still didn't understand, after four entire articles, what Mike's biggest restriction for this list was, outside of "it had to run in theaters".

I mean, it's called The Other 100... That instantly means that he's not including stuff that was on another Top 100 list, which in this case means the Paste list. If a seemingly obvious choice is not in Mike's list, then it's likely because Paste already included it in their list. I'm sure Mike (& Zac) likely figured that the "Other" in the title would have made it obvious, but I guess not...

I misunderstood. I thought the rule was merely anime movies outside of Hayao Miyazaki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4