• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Homubellion was technically a swell movie, but overindulgent. While it could metaphor-and-motif every other scene enough to fill a book, outside of a couple scenes there are many many movies that should get up there.

I'll also resist calls for Utena to be the defining anime of the 90's, or of the industry. But if we're talking movies....I remember the end of that...But you have competition if we're to jsut compare the movies. As for the impact, importance, and merit of the TV series, Eva still takes it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Except I defy Mr. Toole (or anyone else) to prove the point.

I get your point, it just made me laugh that the very next sentence seemed to anticipate that people were going to strongly disagree with him on the forums. Laughing

H. Guderian wrote:
As for the impact, importance, and merit of the TV series, Eva still takes it.

Definitely, although in terms of their respective feature films, I personally think Adolescence is better than EoE.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiatari Ryoko movie wasn't on Mike's list?

Sadness.

Way too obscure and/or below his standards, i guess...

Sad
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge One Piece fan, but I didn't really like Baron Omatsuri. I agree that it didn't feel like One Piece, but that was the exact problem I had. One Piece is great as it is, and the movie felt out of place to me. I've always preferred Film Z for how it played to OP's strengths and almost could have been an arc from the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
I'm a huge One Piece fan, but I didn't really like Baron Omatsuri. I agree that it didn't feel like One Piece, but that was the exact problem I had. One Piece is great as it is, and the movie felt out of place to me. I've always preferred Film Z for how it played to OP's strengths and almost could have been an arc from the manga.

Hmm... I think that's where it gets complicated. Baron was not very One Piece and if you went into it hoping for One Piece, you'd definitely be disappointed. That said, as a stand-alone, it's a very powerful film with a lot of its own value.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Much as I enjoyed the movie, I wouldn't personally rank Your Name at such a high position on the list. It's well-crafted and well-told, but it's a Young Adult's romance dramedy, which personally brings it down a notch (maybe it becomes a little less universally appealing as a result).

I also agree with Mr. Kihara's comparison of old-school auteur direction, vs. modern-day production-by-committee. Although it may have resulted in a lot of crap back in the day, I can still admire the passion that you could sense in older works. A lot of modern works feel like safer investments in comparison.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Much as I enjoyed the movie, I wouldn't personally rank Your Name at such a high position on the list. It's well-crafted and well-told, but it's a Young Adult's romance dramedy, which personally brings it down a notch (maybe it becomes a little less universally appealing as a result).

Not having seen the vast majority of the movies on Mike's list, I can't really say if I think it "should" or "shouldn't" be placed where it is, but I definitely think Your Name has quite a bit more to it than simply being a YA romance, which I think helped give it a much more widespread appeal than it may have had otherwise.

While the movie is a YA dramedy on its surface, through that premise it explores ideas of connection and distance, of loss, time, and memory, in a way that I think helped it to really resonate with viewers well beyond the YA dramedy audience.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Except I defy Mr. Toole (or anyone else) to prove the point.

I get your point, it just made me laugh that the very next sentence seemed to anticipate that people were going to strongly disagree with him on the forums. Laughing

Yeah, that was clearly a bit tongue-in-cheek on his part. Obviously he's conceding that most people would say Eva. Considering that the whole point of the list here is to both be opinionated and offer alternatives to a standard list, it's fine.

It's not the most common opinion, but I think it's defensible. It's nowhere near as controversial as, say, Mike's appreciation of the Ninja Slayer TV series (a show that my wife and I like, but is certainly not for everyone.)
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Epic final part of the list, so much stuff. I remember the strange beauty of Twilight of the Cockroaches on Sci-Fi Channel's old Satruday morning anime block, Project A-ko is a longtime favorite and I've so far seen Your Name twice(once by myself, once with my dad who talked about it for days afterwards) with one or two more viewings scheduled with friends this week. I had seen the DVD for Horus, Prince of the Sun lying around at various stores and conventions but I never had any reason to suspect I should watch it. Now I want to. On a personal note, regarding he Case of Hana and Alice, it's not that I feel rotoscoping is a cheap shortcut it just always looks like butt to me.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Videogamep wrote:

Hmm... I think that's where it gets complicated. Baron was not very One Piece and if you went into it hoping for One Piece, you'd definitely be disappointed. That said, as a stand-alone, it's a very powerful film with a lot of its own value.

That's a good point. I probably would have liked it more if it hadn't been a One Piece movie since it wouldn't have felt so out of place. I get the impression Hosoda (or whoever came up with the original idea) conceived of the story first and only combined it with One Piece later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4