• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Those Flavored Breads In Japanese School Lunches?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I am disappointed that you took the time to describe melon pan yet failed to mention Satania from Gabriel Dropout.

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Everytime I hear Anpan, I imagine Nagisa at the bottom of that hill... Crying or Very sad Laughing

I'm really interested in trying some of these out. The only issue is trying to get to Japan on my budget. One of these days Japan... one of these days *shakes fist in the air*

You don't need to go to Japan. As the article says, you just need a large cosmopolitan city with a sizable Asian population. Any one of New York, L.A., San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. will do.

I ought to mention that the most famous of these is 85 Degrees Bakery, which has several locations dotted throughout Los Angeles and Orange Counties. The one in Irvine, in particular, seems to be the most popular (and is either the original or one of the oldest locations), though there seems to be a really popular one in Pasadena too.

For the record, it's named after the temperature of the coffee in Celsius, not the temperature that they bake their bread at. I think it's actually Korean, but it's very similar to a Japanese-style bakery.

Zin5ki wrote:
A propos, I couldn't help but notice that a taiyaki retailer recently opened up near Chinatown. Given my fondness for Kanon, perhaps it behoves me to sample their ware.

Red bean paste is something of an acquired taste, however. It may be a bit disorienting if you're not used to beans used in dessert. Most taiyaki joints have chocolate-filled ones too though.

Zalis116 wrote:
What I've always wondered about this: in a country known for its order, politeness, etiquette, and all that, why is the "school bread store" shopping experience always a massive free-for-all scrum with everybody shouting orders at once? One might think it's dramatic exaggeration for the sake of denying food to shy characters, or having a bullying victim fail in their errand to pick up bread for their tormentors. But the portrayal is so invariable across so many shows that I have to think there's some truth to it.

I've been in many of these kinds of bakeries, at least in the United States, and it really is like that, though again, they're in the United States...

The two main factors are that 1) They're pretty crowded, meaning people are going to talk over each other constantly, and 2) The store layouts are nonlinear, as you can grab the snacks from anywhere in the store any time you like, so there will be people walking every which way and screaming to their comrades about where they are or what to get. Since availability changes daily, and even the same item can be at different locations on different days, regulars will do a scan of what the bakery has, then plan a route to pick up what they want and tell their friends about these items.

Nagsura wrote:
Outside of melon pan (which I ate several times and tasted like a knock-off of a type of bread found in my country), I found most of Japanese bread to be either horrible - especially their white bread - or just very plain. Several people I met there who weren't Japanese and from all voer the world complained about it as well. It always felt that, unless you were Japanese and had grown up eating it, you'd find it to be several times worse than whatever you ate back in your own home country.

Japanese bread tends to be softer, sweeter, and has a higher moisture content than western breads, which are valued for their flakiness and rough texture. It really affects the way their sandwiches taste too. It's basically the direct opposite of the sourdough.

I don't mind, but it's also not the sort of thing I'd want to eat every day. In particular, this sort of bread clashes with savory stuff if not done right.

Psycho 101 wrote:
To each their own but I for one have never felt that way. I personally quite enjoy Japanese milk bread. Then again I have a more extensive culinary background and have worked in the industry so I naturally am more open to trying new things. I think a lot of people when visiting other countries tend to favor their own country's food and culture simply because it is what they are used to. That's home to them and the place they are visiting is not.

That's a pretty widespread mindset, known as food neophobia. It can definitely cause problems when traveling to foreign countries in groups if someone is neophobic but someone else is neophilic.

It goes the other way too: I was in a bus tour in 2011 that was geared towards Chinese tourists. Every stop for food along the way was at a Chinese restaurant or, if one didn't exist in a town for whatever reason, a group of fast food restaurants. In those cases, almost the entire group would flock to McDonald's. I was getting tired of it after some time, as we traveled to cities in the northeastern United States known for their cuisine like Philadelphia, Boston, Brooklyn, New Haven, and Buffalo, and never got to try any of their signature foods, instead just going to Golden Dragon or Sam Woo or somesuch. There was a trio of young men from Romania in this group too, and I could tell they were getting quite annoyed at it themselves. Turns out the guide herself was highly neophobic to non-Chinese food and knew next to nothing about the local foods due to a total lack of interest. She lives in Manhattan and did not know about her hometown's pizza or clam chowder, for instance. Yeah, I tried asking. (There were other reasons we were annoyed at the tour, but that's a discussion for another day. Suffice to say the tour guide was a total ditz.)

Zin5ki wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Huh, I always thought that melon pan legitimately had melon associated with it. The more you know.

For the sake of customer expectations, I do like to hope that at least one intrepid baker has attempted to introduce a melon flavour. The market for such a variety must be lying in wait.

There are indeed some melon pans like this. Korean bakeries usually have something simply called "melon bread." Some are done Japanese-style like what is described in the article, while some others have honeydew flavor, either artificial or natural. If you ever find yourself in a Korean bakery, a good rule of thumb is if it's yellowish or green. The latter will taste like honeydew.

Nagsura wrote:
The only people I met who didn't complain about it in any way. shape or form were from the States - which I wouldn't say is somewhere I enjoy eating "local" food.

A bit of a tangent, but you're missing out.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen any anime/manga where the school sells taiyaki for lunch... Taiyaki is more a street food or snack, or even traditional cake.

I think the most popular bread-base lunch in school is cutlet sandwich (katsu sando). In most anime/manga I've seen, this type of bread is usually the one to be sold out first.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Red bean paste is something of an acquired taste, however. It may be a bit disorienting if you're not used to beans used in dessert. Most taiyaki joints have chocolate-filled ones too though.

From what I recall of the shop's frontage, I believe they offered chocolate as the default filling. Bean paste was presumably relegated to a mere alternative offered on request. Given the sheer competition that exists for passing tourist trade, the decision seems a sensible one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Huh, I always thought that melon pan legitimately had melon associated with it. The more you know.

For the sake of customer expectations, I do like to hope that at least one intrepid baker has attempted to introduce a melon flavour. The market for such a variety must be lying in wait.

I know for sure that I once saw a green colored melon pan that clearly said it was melon flavored in a Family Mart or Lawson. So they do (or did) exist. I think that was the only time though :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4