• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When did Bleach start airing in 720p/1080p? (Looking for highest quality footage)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arwen17

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
From what I can tell from posts all over the internet etc, it seems like the first 8 seasons (eps.1-167) have only ever been in 480p broadcast or DVD. *[VIZ is now releasing 1080p bluray sets and so far eps.1-55 have been released.]*

Seasons 9-16 (eps.168-366) were definitely broadcast in 720p or better, but not sure if the DVDs were ever released in 720p or if they just stuck with 480p. All of the stupid websites don't list the DVD quality information. **Anyone with the DVDs in their possession want to comment on this?** I'm betting they were cheap and kept the DVDs at 480p quality for the entire series just because the websites don't bother to list the DVD quality info.

I can't figure out when Bleach switched to 1080i broadcasts. I *think* Crunchyroll started offering both 720p and 1080p at ep.266 (aka season 14). So ep.266 *might* be where 1080p started on TV broadcast. But we know Seasons 14-16 in 1080p were never released on disc since there are no blurays yet.

Because crunchyroll didn't offer 720p for eps.168-266 when it was definitely being broadcast on TV as 720p, I can't trust that 1080p started at ep.266 just because that's when crunchyroll started offering it. Broadcast TV may have started 1080p before crunchyroll, just like what happened with 720p.

I'm hoping VIZ will release the entire series into 1080p bluray eventually and then I don't have to hunt down different qualities for different parts of the series.
Arwen17

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
I'm aware that VIZ has started releasing their own version of Bleach blurays last year and will hopefully continue for the rest of the series. But why did Japan never release any blu rays for bleach? Did the popularity tank that hard in Japan? Japanese blurays tend to be superior in quality compared to USA releases.

I know the original episodes were broadcast in SD 4:3, and then later on the series switched to 16:9 HD, but Japan releases blurays of older anime all the time (such as evangelion). Bleach may have been canceled due to unpopularity, but you'd still think they would go back and rerelease all the beloved first episodes in bluray. I guess Japanese fans end up importing USA blurays when Japan fails to produce anything? Or do they just not care and stick with the DVDs?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Topics merged. I don't know if you'll get any answers that weren't already given here and here. But to summarize: HD airings began around ep 168 in April 2008, and there aren't Japanese Blu-Rays because it's a mainstream show meant to sell merchandise, manga, and commercial airtime, as opposed to an otaku show that makes its money from disc collectors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1