• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Many of us are dependent on torrents because of the BULLSH*T!!!!! region restrictions on DVD's and blu-rays. If they want us to buy anime legally but are not available between regions, then they ought to make them region-free to work on any device. Is there an EU release for Rosario + Vampire for example? No, and it doesn't look like there will be any time soon. If I have to buy it legally, I need the right hardware to play the DVD which includes A WHOLE NEW TV and a BLU-RAY PLAYER that are compatible with multiple regions. I've got the DVD player that plays multiple regions but the edges on the picture are zigzaggy on the TV. Shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto can withstand region blocks since they're popular enough and almost certain to be released in many places, but Rosario + Vampire is not and it's not fair that it's withheld from us or incompatible with our systems just because we live elsewhere.

And some streaming services are also region-specific and even if they're not like Crunchyroll (as far as I know) not every show is available. There are many shows I've wanted to watch throughout the years that never made it outside Japan, not even in any streaming services I'm aware of. Give me ONE place where I can legally watch Hungry Heart: Wild Striker. Just one.

I don't mind paying for anime, but how can I pay for something that's not available? And I don't think it's fair I have to pay to watch Crunchyroll comfortably when there are only 2 shows I follow and others I do like are available sub-only, which would be fine if they didn't have dubs but GTO does and they didn't include that.

They want us to stop using torrents? Well, make anime more accessible and stop cherry-picking shows we can watch.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Any basic cable package, let alone higher-tier cable/satellite sports packages, is going to cost more per month than pretty much all of the anime streaming sites combined, Amazon Prime/Strike excepted. To my knowledge, viewers of Western media don't insist that either Netflix or Hulu have every US movie and TV show ever, like anime viewers have demanded, nor are they as resistant to subscribing to both Netflix and Hulu. If one all-inclusive anime-streaming monopoly does develop, are anime viewers going to be accepting of higher prices (i.e. probably what subscribing to multiple competing services would've cost anyway) and worse-quality products?

(Moar to follow?)

Western media is mainstream though. Japanese media is niche. So of course fans of a niche media form are going to be more demanding and passionate about their hobby. Because you can't easily acquire this stuff just anywhere, especially since the bulk of the fandom lives outside of Japan and does not speak Japanese. For someone outside of Japan, Japanese media is unique, special, and relatively uncommon compared to Western media. That's why people so strongly want to preserve as much of it as possible. I don't think I've ever seen someone demanding access to literally every piece of Japanese media ever made. People just want easy access to a sizable library of new and old stuff for a reasonable price. Maybe a monthly fee would work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Is there an EU release for Rosario + Vampire for example? No, and it doesn't look like there will be any time soon.

Yes, and there has been for 5 years: http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1968

Quote:
If I have to buy it legally, I need the right hardware to play the DVD which includes A WHOLE NEW TV and a BLU-RAY PLAYER that are compatible with multiple regions. I've got the DVD player that plays multiple regions but the edges on the picture are zigzaggy on the TV.

There's either something wrong with your equipment or setup, or you have a rare (or really old) TV that doesn't support 60Hz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There's either something wrong with your equipment or setup, or you have a rare (or really old) TV that doesn't support 60Hz.

It'd have to be a seriously old TV; the set I bought 20 years ago could handle NTSC and 60Hz PAL just fine, and it was a cheap one I got before I had any reason to care about such compatibility.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
Western media is mainstream though. Japanese media is niche. So of course fans of a niche media form are going to be more demanding and passionate about their hobby. Because you can't easily acquire this stuff just anywhere, especially since the bulk of the fandom lives outside of Japan and does not speak Japanese. For someone outside of Japan, Japanese media is unique, special, and relatively uncommon compared to Western media. That's why people so strongly want to preserve as much of it as possible. I don't think I've ever seen someone demanding access to literally every piece of Japanese media ever made. People just want easy access to a sizable library of new and old stuff for a reasonable price. Maybe a monthly fee would work.
The numbers just don't add up to "lots of viewers want to preserve old/niche stuff." The interest in new, popular, and legally-available titles on bootleg streaming sites far outclasses the interest in the old/obscure/unlicensed titles whose unavailability is allegedly driving the masses to piracy. Some viewers are interested in those shows of course, but I'd say they're over-represented on an "old-line" site like ANN.

And I have seen numerous people demanding that an official distribution site have "everything," both on MAL and various YouTube comment threads, before they'll patronize it. Of course, then you check their lists and see that they have watched or plan to watch maybe a handful of titles made before 2005 or so. But what constitutes a "sizeable" library? The anime viewerbase is an expert at moving the goalposts -- before CR went legitimate, it was "we need a legal way to sample airing anime before it comes out, like Japanese TV viewers do"; now it's "we need streaming access to absolutely everything for next to nothing, including non-televised movies, OVAs, and specials."

CCTakato wrote:
I also think most people who used Bittorrent to watch anime mainly used it for rare out of print anime or older dubs that are no longer available like some older Streamline dubs or the original DiC dub of Sailor Moon.
Popular shows still got plenty more downloads than obscure ones, although I disagree with DmonHiro's assessment that DL numbers are as high as ever. I remember Naruto Shippuuden 001 getting over a million downloads back in 2007, but even the biggest seasonal hits in recent years struggled to crack 100k. HorribleSubs direct stream-rips got the lion's share of the downloads, with what we'd call "fansubs" (edits of official subs with additional typesetting/retiming/editing/song translations/karaoke, usually on encodes from Japanese TV transport streams) getting substantially fewer, and "archival" DVD/BD-rips getting even fewer downloads. The stuff I've put out (mainly Magical Girl shows and re-releases of mid-00s non-R1-licensed titles, AKA the stuff that so many people supposedly want but can't get legally) gets maybe 1500-2000 downloads, but at least 10 times as many views on the Flagship Bootleg Streaming Site alone.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
This has been discussed elsewhere, but in short: the various other English-speaking markets aren't large enough for each of them to have a company doing everything Crunchyroll does. And since Crunchyroll (& the other legit services) is being used as the reason why everyone in the English-speaking world has no excuse to pirate, it seems like the least they could do is actually provide the full service to the whole English-speaking world.
Shiranehito was also talking about "those living in third world country," which generally doesn't include English-speaking countries. I agree that it would be nice for CR/Funi to extend their services to other English-speaking territories where it's feasible and profitable to do so, and it seems that some of CR's recent announcements have included more than just the US/Canada. But if there's no viable market for paying subscribers or advertising targets in a given country, then they shouldn't blame CR/Funi for not shoveling money down a pit. If English has become a "default international language" beyond the traditional US/CA/UK/AU/NZ/SA realm, that's beyond US distributors' control, and it's not their fault. On the flip side, I don't blame viewers in those countries for using other means to access anime if no legal avenues are available, though ideally, I'd hope they'd download instead of patronizing bootleg streaming sites.

Temuthril wrote:

All of those are quite possible via the more shadier avenues. Extremely unlikely to happen, but a man can dream.

Piracy is a service problem, said Gabe Newell, a billionaire.
The problem with the "Steam for Anime" distribution model that many have suggested is that Steam wasn't created to combat illegal game streaming. Steam had some success in converting a few illegal game downloaders into legal ones, but anime viewers have shown that in general, they don't even want to download anime for free, so I'm skeptical that there's a significant number willing to pay for downloads.

So where are legal streaming sites supposed to compete on service? Anime viewers have shown that they're fine with watching the exact same subtitles/translations legal sites put out, as bootleg streams for most remotely recent shows = re-encodes of HorribleSubs stream-rips. For that reason, legal streams are already faster than illegal ones. And those viewers are also fine with getting worse technical quality than legal offerings, since re-encoding introduces data loss and video artifacts. Even if a legal site somehow got all the anime with rights extending all over the world, it wouldn't solve the problem of the viewers who have legal options available, but refuse to pay subscription fees or watch ads. Sure looks like a pricing problem to me.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat May 06, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

So where are legal streaming sites supposed to compete on service? Anime viewers have shown that they're fine with watching the exact same subtitles/translations legal sites put out, as bootleg streams for most remotely recent shows = re-encodes of HorribleSubs stream-rips. For that reason, legal streams are already faster than illegal ones. And those viewers are also fine with getting worse technical quality than legal offerings, since re-encoding introduces data loss and video artifacts. Even if a legal site somehow got all the anime with rights extending all over the world, it wouldn't solve the problem of the viewers who have legal options available, but refuse to pay subscription fees or watch ads. Sure looks like a pricing problem to me.

I'd agree it's a pricing problem, but the solution is not to just make it cheaper. I think the problem is that right now, whether you want to watch 1 show a season or 40, those two people just have to pay the same price (or maybe because of service fragmentation $5-$15 or so a month). The "maximum" amount of monetization that streaming sites can get from 1 consumer is too cheap, and a minimum higher than $0 is too expensive.

I think streaming sites need to add services or content or goods or SOME kind of premium monetization schemes for the high-volume, high-energy fans to spend lots of money on, while allowing casual fans to watch a lot of content for free, too. Right now things are too "one price fits all" and I think they're leaving money on the table.

I actually came up with a crazy business model based on "kaiten sushi", where each episode would have a color-coded price (newest simulcasts in 1080p = gold, old catalog = white with green stripe, etc... ), and users would have credits that would automatically refill over time like the stamina bar in dark souls. People could pay a subscription fee to either increase the rate their credits refilled over time or the maximum amount of credits they could hold at once (or both), or maybe earn instant credits by purchasing goods, or watching advertisements, etc.
Then you have a subscription service which could be totally free for light users to watch their 1-2 shows a week but would cost $20-30 a month if you wanted to watch 12 episodes a day every day.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think streaming sites need to add services or content or goods

How did Omakase work out?

The top-tier Crunchroll sub I took out for a year for manga access a month before they opened manga access to all subs had incentives for their store (useless for me given the shipping costs and import duty) and some sort of incentive for US conventions (nullified slightly by the international flight costs)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
I think streaming sites need to add services or content or goods

How did Omakase work out?

The top-tier Crunchroll sub I took out for a year for manga access a month before they opened manga access to all subs had incentives for their store (useless for me given the shipping costs and import duty) and some sort of incentive for US conventions (nullified slightly by the international flight costs)

Both of those were executed really poorly. I don't think anime streaming sites have to only be $X a month for unlimited streaming and that's the only model that can ever succeed.
The idea is to add things, not subtract them.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Many of us are dependent on torrents because of the BULLSH*T!!!!! region restrictions on DVD's and blu-rays.

While it's stupid that it's a restriction necessary to overcome, it's nonetheless a trivial one. Any hardware worth paying for is also all-region capable, in my view. As Shiroi Hane mentioned, you do not need a new TV to deal with region restrictions, unless you're talking something like HDCP-restricted 4K content or your TV itself has a problem. I have owned an all-region capable Blu-ray player in the past; my PC doubles as my current Blu-ray player and I use a program called AnyDVD to strip region-locking as a disc is first read. Works perfectly with discs from all regions: my collection includes Blu-rays (and DVDs, I guess) from Japan, Australia, the US and a couple from the UK. Then again, most Blu-rays I play these days are the ones where no English-language release even exists – official or otherwise – and only occasionally will I pop in a disc where a usually better-quality fansubbed release exists (e.g. Non Non Biyori, where I rewatched each series on Blu-ray once volume 6 arrived).
GeorgH

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know where you life, but the program you mentioned to "bypass" is illegal in various countries.

Where I live it's also illegal to sell or import (at least most) Region A or Multi-Region Blu-ray players (which are insanely overpriced), as they violate rulings for wireless communication and are missing the mandatory confirmation markings...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Just my luck. Had to bring my computer to repairs last Friday a week ago and have had almost internet blackout until Friday this week. Only find out about stuff Wednesday...
My phone does have internet, but it's a real pain in the behind to deal with...Confused

I have to reiterate what a lot of you have been saying, it's turbulent now but it will settle quickly enough. Same way as when TT went down and everything started coalescing around nyaa back in the day, it's the same cycle.

At least irc wasn't affected...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And I have seen numerous people demanding that an official distribution site have "everything," both on MAL and various YouTube comment threads, before they'll patronize it. Of course, then you check their lists and see that they have watched or plan to watch maybe a handful of titles made before 2005 or so. But what constitutes a "sizeable" library?

"Everything" is too broad a term and technically unattainable and TBT oldies are not very popular unless the director dies or there is a remake and even then they will never compete with what is "hot from the oven". How about "everything from this season"? To repeat a comparison I did before, Nowadays you can get your "TV" media from getting a contract with your local cable company or directv or dish networks or etc. People argue the cost is too high (and therefore the cable cutting), but everyone can agree that it would be mind boggling if you had to make a contract with your local cable company and directv and dish networks and etc so that you could get access to HBO + showtime + disney channel (aka the popular stuff). That is what is happening atm in the minds of many with the Funi/CR+Amazon Strike+Netflix or Hulu stratification.

Quote:
The anime viewerbase is an expert at moving the goalposts -- before CR went legitimate, it was "we need a legal way to sample airing anime before it comes out, like Japanese TV viewers do"; now it's "we need streaming access to absolutely everything for next to nothing, including non-televised movies, OVAs, and specials."

Well, Netflix happened, people have become used to see recent* movies, tv series and specials in one place. That is the new normal in the minds of millions. Yeah, we can talk all day about the days we were glad we could see a ten year old series in an umpteen generation VHS with hardcoded subtitles, but let's not forget that is the past and the present is speeding bullet.

*most people can wait for the movies, ovas and specials if they know they will be available within a year or so if release, otherwise Netflix would be a failed business model.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
This got me thinking: There is a lot of discussion about older series, older music, and so and so forth that are not available legally. And it makes me wonder if there is a comparable streaming/torrenting community or demand for older media that isn't Japanese as well. After all, someone in France who wants to watch, say, The Pirates of Dark Water might not have any options without paying through the nose. Are there comparable sites for western animation, movies, comic books, and so forth? (I'm not requesting any links, just wanting to know if they exist.)

residentgrigo wrote:
Life indeed finds a way. Look up the history of piratebay. They survived police raids, the imprisonment of the founder and other fun stuff. The Deep Web will always be the last resort but there are literately thousands of other avenues, google even lists them above legal sites (let´s maybe look into that one...), to burn though before such a drastic measure would be taken by the scene.
When one door closes, another two piracy sites open.

Yeah, that part about Google I always found kind of weird. It made a bit of sense back when search results would come up based on popularity, but now that you can pay Google to have the search results up higher, either the pirating sites are paying through the nose to get Google priority or something even fishier is going on.

DmonHiro wrote:
They were still MAKING VCRs?

There are some pretty niche but useful purposes for VCRs; people continue to use them to this day for specialized purposes. For me, for instance, as I do recording of game footage, a VCR is the most cost-effective way to have a simultaneous signal splitter and amplifier in my circumstances. When it's plugged into a CRT TV, there is zero delay (whereas there is some delay in the lower-end splitters). I'll need to go find a new VCR though, as my last one shorted out during a power outage.

DRWii wrote:
Quote:
Another anime torrent site that specialized in archival of older anime recently locked off access to the general public and went members-only.

...is this. I was pretty sure I knew what site this was referring to, and I was right (Not sure if it wasn't named because Justin just didn't know or if he was specifically avoiding it, so I'll ere on the side of caution). And apparently it's exclusive to anyone who was a member before the change. I didn't really get older anime from any other site, and there doesn't seem to be that much demand for it, so I'm not sure there'll be a good replacement.

Huh, I was wondering which one it was, whether they'd allow new members as a means of cutting down on their bandwidth and/or public visibility, like what happened with Galbadia Hotel (video game music), or if they cut off membership entirely, like with LUE (a forum on GameFAQs).

To me, that comes across as the equivalent of children clutching their toys closer to their chests when their parents request to let them go. "Nooo! It's mine!"

samuelp wrote:
Sure you could! In theory, anyway.

After all people have put viruses in _image files_ on the web like jpg or gif. All you need is a web browser with a buggy image reading library with a memory overrun and when it tries to read the malformed image you end up overwriting memory, etc etc.

The same is totally possible for video files. It would depend on the specific video player software you use, but let's take something like vlc for example. I'm sure there is some tiny codec buried in there with ancient buggy decoding that someone could shove into a mkv into a hidden channel that could in theory do mischief.

So "you just can't" is false. Has anyone ever actually done this successfully? Not sure.

I definitely remember incidents like those using the Internet in the 90's and early 00's. I think the idea is that certain files could attach themselves surreptitiously to other files--you'd download the file it's attached to, and a copy of it would appear on your computer and quietly install itself. Torrents were a favorite way for the people who make these to spread it, as their distribution was wide and happened over a short period of time. I recall there being at least a couple of worms that became notorious in this way. (It's still not putting it inside of the file thogh.)

The bigger concern, if you ask me, is malware: Spyware and adware. Those can sneak into your computer attached to pretty much anything. I knew someone during that time who was a rather voracious consumer of various types of files--images, sounds, videos, text files--but none of them were interactive. However, her computer got so clogged up with malware that her computer slowed down to a crawl. Not that she really noticed, as when she upgraded to DSL, it ran at the pre-malware 28.8 speeds.

People have been quite creative in all this. There was a short period in time when malware spread through YouTube comments, when someone discovered a comment with "<script>" in it would execute that script. There was still a 500-character limit, so people would use these comments to turn a video page into a redirect to whatever site they wanted.

AksaraKishou wrote:
The difference is that you're giving cheap change to watch something on a giant ass screen, with a better quality and on a better environment.

But yeah, i would have gotten a CR sub a long while ago if they had anything worth it. <.<

Cheap change? How inexpensive are your movie ticket prices? Even a matinee ticket here costs more than a month of Crunchyroll.

xchampion wrote:
After your insight I would say "Most illegal consumption of legally licensed anime in your country hurts the industry." Some would give the impression that the MINORITY of illegal consumption hurts the industry, while without numbers I'd wager the MAJORITY of illegal consumption hurts the industry. I suppose its arguing peanuts at his point.

At the core, the question is, "Of all of the people who illegally obtain anime where anime is abundant and easily available, what percentage of them, should illegal sources stop existing entirely, will stop consuming anime entirely instead of moving to legal sources?"

I personally think there is actually a signiticant amount--a minority, but a signficant amount nonetheless--who fall into this group. Most of them, I would say based on personal experiences, are small children who ether don't know any better or deliberately do so because their parents also get all their media from illegitimate sources (and either taught them to do so or don't allow them access to any paid sources).

mangamuscle wrote:
2) Not one legal streaming website has access to most of the content. Think about it for a moment, AFAIK in the USA to get your sport fix you either pay to your local TV cable company or DirecTV or Dish Networks (or some other source I am unaware off). The key word here is "or". Would sports fans be ok if they had to pay to three or four different companies to get their sport fix? The statistics BigOnAnime provided make me think that neither do anime fans. Exclusive contracts on the long run are adversely affecting streaming, I hope the japan anime industry stops thinking about streaming as if websites were game consoles, exclusives are inevitable only if you they pay 100% for the production costs (then they clearly own it) of said content like Netflix does.

Spectrum is another one (formerly Time Warner Cable). They gained a lot of infamy for being the only host of SportsNet, which some baseball teams signed up on as the only provider for live games (presumably for a huge amount of money), then even more infamy when both SportsNet and TWC would proudly boast in their advertisements of being "Home of the _____" or "The onlyplace where you can watch the _____," which fans took to rubbing in their faces that they either can't watch it or have to pay $100+ per month just to watch them.

Zalis116 wrote:
And I have seen numerous people demanding that an official distribution site have "everything," both on MAL and various YouTube comment threads, before they'll patronize it. Of course, then you check their lists and see that they have watched or plan to watch maybe a handful of titles made before 2005 or so. But what constitutes a "sizeable" library? The anime viewerbase is an expert at moving the goalposts -- before CR went legitimate, it was "we need a legal way to sample airing anime before it comes out, like Japanese TV viewers do"; now it's "we need streaming access to absolutely everything for next to nothing, including non-televised movies, OVAs, and specials."

If the same fans are complaining about that sort of thing, then it sounds to me like a refusal to go legit, as if they would feel like they lost or surrendered to something.

Of course, it could also be self-justification, as no one wants to feel like they're the bad guys.

mangamuscle wrote:
"Everything" is too broad a term and technically unattainable and TBT oldies are not very popular unless the director dies or there is a remake and even then they will never compete with what is "hot from the oven". How about "everything from this season"? To repeat a comparison I did before, Nowadays you can get your "TV" media from getting a contract with your local cable company or directv or dish networks or etc. People argue the cost is too high (and therefore the cable cutting), but everyone can agree that it would be mind boggling if you had to make a contract with your local cable company and directv and dish networks and etc so that you could get access to HBO + showtime + disney channel (aka the popular stuff). That is what is happening atm in the minds of many with the Funi/CR+Amazon Strike+Netflix or Hulu stratification.

While I have never met those "everything" fans, I have seen their counterparts in video gaming, and I can say this much is true: They KNOW that it's impossible for a single service to have everything. It's a bar set extremely high that can never be reached so they can forever have an excuse in using illegitimate channels where legitimate and user-friendly alternatives exist.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This got me thinking: There is a lot of discussion about older series, older music, and so and so forth that are not available legally. And it makes me wonder if there is a comparable streaming/torrenting community or demand for older media that isn't Japanese as well. After all, someone in France who wants to watch, say, The Pirates of Dark Water might not have any options without paying through the nose. Are there comparable sites for western animation, movies, comic books, and so forth? (I'm not requesting any links, just wanting to know if they exist.)

If by this you mean dedicated trackers, then yes. Though most aren't extremely specific about content - you'll have some trackers that are just about games, some just about music (all kinds), some about a specific type of music (be it its country of origin or its style), some about comics (western or not), etc.

Quote:
Huh, I was wondering which one it was, whether they'd allow new members as a means of cutting down on their bandwidth and/or public visibility, like what happened with Galbadia Hotel (video game music), or if they cut off membership entirely, like with LUE (a forum on GameFAQs).

To me, that comes across as the equivalent of children clutching their toys closer to their chests when their parents request to let them go. "Nooo! It's mine!"

It was more a case of them not wanting to handle the bandwith that comes with being public while they can't even get the servers all fixed up. The admins have already said they're not set on being private - they're still thinking up what ways they'll move forward.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Spectrum is another one (formerly Time Warner Cable). They gained a lot of infamy for being the only host of SportsNet, which some baseball teams signed up on as the only provider for live games (presumably for a huge amount of money), then even more infamy when both SportsNet and TWC would proudly boast in their advertisements of being "Home of the _____" or "The onlyplace where you can watch the _____," which fans took to rubbing in their faces that they either can't watch it or have to pay $100+ per month just to watch them.

I can bet your breakfast that there are illegal streams of sportsnet out there. I can't say that as a fact since I do not watch any sports channels (not even soccer, yeah, I am a mutant) but I have heard many times how local soccer exclusives are streamed.

Quote:
Of course, it could also be self-justification, as no one wants to feel like they're the bad guys.

Huh!? I am a monster, hear my roaar "Gaoo!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13