• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Q&A: Legendary Mangaka Kenichi Sonoda

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There is some truth to what he said. Younger fans may find old character designs off putting, and may not be thrilled with anime that is not crisp and clean looking, like most of today's stuff is.

Not everyone, but enough of them.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Really? I mean I have heard many times people say that new fans won't like a show because it is to old, but I've never seen it. I've seen kids watch stuff like Tom & Jerry and the classic Goofy cartoons from the 40s, and they never asked if they were old.

That's because they saw those at a young age on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, home video or whatever. I notice with older anime unless if it was on Cartoon Network, Fox Kids, KidsWB!, Fox Box, or whatever kids network in the late 90's or in the 2000's that is pretty much forgotten expect for a few titles.

Anime fans born in the late 80's-early to mid 90's and later grew up with Pokemon, DBZ and Sailor Moon, so the dated animation won't bother them when they rewatch them. If you show them something like Bubblegum Crisis, Golgo 13, Record of Lodoss War, Crying Freeman, Devilman or any type of anime before the year 2000, the anime will be turn off by them for being "Old and cliche" while the old Pokemon TV show is somewhat of a masterpiece.

The cut date with fans have change over the years, I remember anything before 1995 was too old for anime fans back in 2002. It later became before 2000 is too old like 8 or 9 years ago. Now I see people that say anything made before 2004 is too old for them to watch.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Sat May 06, 2017 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
His point about older character designs just makes me realize we will NEVER see an animated Cannon God Exaxxion.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
If we get a new Gunsmith Cats anime, I would imagine that they would have to do some changes to the violence and nudity. As long if we get uncut home video releases, that's fine by me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="Spawn29"]
MarshalBanana wrote:
That's because they saw those at a young age on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, home video or whatever. I notice with older anime unless if it was on Cartoon Network, Fox Kids, KidsWB!, Fox Box, or whatever kids network in the late 90's or in the 2000's that is pretty much forgotten expect for a few titles.

Anime fans born in the late 80's-early to mid 90's and later grew up with Pokemon, DBZ and Sailor Moon, so the dated animation won't bother them when they rewatch them. If you show them something like Bubblegum Crisis, Golgo 13, Record of Lodoss War, Crying Freeman, Devilman or any type of anime before the year 2000, the anime will be turn off by them for being "Old and cliche" while the old Pokemon TV show is somewhat of a masterpiece.

The cut date with fans have change over the years, I remember anything before 1995 was too old for anime fans back in 2002. It later became before 2000 is too old like 8 or 9 years ago. Now I see people that say anything made before 2004 is too old for them to watch.
I guess that makes sense, if you watch something at a young enough age it sticks. Though I do think some cartoons, especially from the 80s, sort of date themselves. Something like Roadrunner has a timeless appeal to it, where something like He Man looks like a cliche. Also was the 80s when they first out sourced projects to Korea?

With Tokyo 2040, I think it would worth giving it a shot on Toonami, maybe I'm biassed because it doesn't look that old by my definition. With the crispness of the show, that can easily be fixed with a Blu-Ray transfer, most of the time it is less to do with the show and more the video quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2