• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Mikagura School Suite, Romeo x Juliet Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY. I have been waiting for Romeo x Juliet to make its way over to CR ever since I gave up trying to rewatch it on Funimation's PS3 app because it kept skipping and stalling out and generally being a terrible platform to watch things on. I cannot wait to dive back in!
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally, more interesting titles! I could care less about Mikagura School Suite, Rage of Bahamut is a welcome and worthy addition (hopefully Funi gets the home video license for Virgin Soul), and Romeo x Juliet looks interesting, definitely going to check that out.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
If you listen closely, you will hear the rest of the world cringing as another great anime comes only to the USA sphere of influence, while the rest of the world goes empty handed. On of this days, one of this days, bang, zoom, to the moon!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Mikagura School Suite get more exposure. Very underrated series.

mangamuscle wrote:
If you listen closely, you will hear the rest of the world cringing as another great anime comes only to the USA sphere of influence, while the rest of the world goes empty handed.

Shocked These have all been out on DVD, in multiple countries. I'd understand if these were Crunchyroll exclusives, but come on.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Haha, YES! CRUNCHY WAS ABLE TO GET VIRG- Oh, it's Genesis.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Shocked These have all been out on DVD, in multiple countries. I'd understand if these were Crunchyroll exclusives, but come on.

Just to humour you I went to my closest (both on the internet and physically) store to give it a shot, so now I have to ask, region 4 DVDs?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Just to humour you I went to my closest (both on the internet and physically) store to give it a shot, so now I have to ask, region 4 DVDs?

Just to humor you, I checked, and all three are licensed in Region 4.

Both Mikagura and Romeo x Juliet are licensed by Madman; Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is licensed by Universal/Sony.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote

Both Mikagura and Romeo x Juliet are licensed by Madman; Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is licensed by Universal/Sony.

BS, show me the link where I can buy said Region 4 DVDs. Licenses that are not coupled with a physical release are worthless.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Licenses that are not coupled with a physical release are worthless.

I'm sorry that they aren't available on Bluray/DVD in your region. If I had my say, Mikagura School Suite would be available everywhere. While I'm not sure how Crunchyroll having a streaming license in the US impacts the Region 4 availability of a show that is already licensed in Region 4, it's not like I'm unsympathetic to your situation.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
... having a streaming license in the US impacts the Region 4 availability of a show that is already licensed in Region 4

Most likely Madman and Universal/Sony (and animelab with other titles) have also the streaming rights (nowadays they are sold as a bundle) for all of Latin America (aka region 4) and they are sitting on them. They could resell them to crunchy and get some cash back, but probably both parties are expecting the other to start negotiations, meanwhile we continue to get this announcements that infuriate me since I know licenses for Latin America are cheap (if we compare to similar licenses for english speaking counties) and the same scenario is repeating with disc licenses. People trashed the DVD release for jojo but I gladly bought it because a new quality series was finally released in my region.

I would gladly put the executives from both parties in an elevator and cut electricity until a deal is reached Anime hyper
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
I don't know why the article didn't mention this, but DxD was also added. At least that was covered in another ANN article.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

BS, show me the link where I can buy said Region 4 DVDs. Licenses that are not coupled with a physical release are worthless.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/33211/mikagura-school-suite-complete-series
Romeo x Juliet is OOP
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-anime/rage-of-bahamut-genesis-season-1/955625/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/33211/mikagura-school-suite-complete-series
Romeo x Juliet is OOP
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-anime/rage-of-bahamut-genesis-season-1/955625/

Kind sir, would you consider it a proper release a DVD which only included french, german or italian subtitles and/or dubbing? Then why should I consider a proper release for my region a disc that lacks spanish subtitles and/or dubbing? If a brazilian would add to this conversation he would no doubt also ask for portugese subs/dubs to be added to the disc for them to consider it as proper release; we can do without the yankee subs/dubs in our anime, thank you very much. Add to this the fact that s&h would be as pricey as ordering directly from japan, it only adds insult to injury Anime hyper
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Kind sir, would you consider it a proper release a DVD which only included french, german or italian subtitles and/or dubbing?

If I lived in a Region that included a country where people predominantly spoke French, German, or Italian, then yes. If not, then no.

Also, I own a few French-language manga volumes from series that were never released in English, and I don't consider them any less of a "proper release" than my English-language titles.

Also, since when is the Queen's English/Australian English "Yankee"?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Also, since when is the Queen's English/Australian English "Yankee"?

I find it hard to believe (correct me if I am wrong) that nowadays region 2 or 4 anime DVDs are dubbed in England or Australia instead of just using the american english dub track done by funimation or sentai. Also, I could be wrong, but do they go to the lengths of tweaking the subtitles tracks into local english? I kinda doubt it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2