• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Purchasing Anime in the U.K.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
影のありません

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to find a good source for purchasing DVDs and Blu-ray in the U.K. which are preferably Region 2, but I can play Region 1 or others if needed. Oh and Japanese audio with English subtitles is what I am interested in.

RightStuf is pretty good if you ignore the NA region coding and shipping costs, Anime-on-Line is cool but their selection is rather limited, Amazon is also cool for some stuff, but not so much for most.

Specifically right now I am looking for legitimately licensed DVDs for the first three seasons of Minami-ke and Blu-ray for the fourth. I have had absolutely no luck. Apparently Funimation licenses it (at least the OVAs anyway) but their stupid website redirects every link to their streaming service. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in using any subscription based streaming service. eBay has some sketchy looking Malaysian DVDs, but uhmm.... yeah.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe any of Minami-ke has ever had any sort of English-language release. There are certainly no releases in our database. Funimation also only streamed the one season, "Tadaima". Given it came out of nowhere and they've never followed up with physical release, it was probably either bundled in with something else. Given that they've neither followed up with a physical release nor licensed any of the other seasons, it probably didn't perform very well in terms of streaming numbers.

All anime licensed in the UK is available to buy from Amazon and Anime-on-Line (barring a couple of Anime Limited store exclusives). I'm pretty sure all anime licensed in the US will be available on RightStuf (in fact, some titles are only available through RightStuf). That covers everything legally available with English subtitles, outside of a few Australian releases and the occasional subitled disc that comces out in Japan or elsewhere in Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
影のありません

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the helpful information, Shiroi Hane.

That is kind of disappointing though, I guess I'm out of luck when it comes to owning Minami-ke on phsyical media, I suspected the show was never all that popular.

At least I was on the right track by checking those three main online retailers.

Thanks again.
Paul Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of original manga video VHS tapes to sale, all great condition ...any interest?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1