• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Yaoi Anime Get Dubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
But yeah 'representation in mediA' is a much bigger deal for Americans than Japanese people. Thats why in Japan nobody cares if the MC is a girl or a guy, but in America the strict rule is 'guy shows have to star guys, and girl shows have to star girls'

Um, that's more like "Japan has figured out that people like looking at attractive members of the opposite sex"; if it's a girl show starring a guy, or vice versa, you the target audience member are not necessarily expected to want to be the main character.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Um, that's more like "Japan has figured out that people like looking at attractive members of the opposite sex"; if it's a girl show starring a guy, or vice versa, you the target audience member are not necessarily expected to want to be the main character.

I know that and you know that.. but a lot of people don't. The only female characters in YOI were minor supporting characters while the male skaters were the main focus. Didn't stop it from being popular with women, but if it was made here and analyzed through a western lens, it would be criticized for being male dominated and only allowing men to be represented and not being inclusive towards women.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I know that and you know that.. but a lot of people don't. The only female characters in YOI were minor supporting characters while the male skaters were the main focus. Didn't stop it from being popular with women, but if it was made here and analyzed through a western lens, it would be criticized for being male dominated and only allowing men to be represented and not being inclusive towards women.

Uh, I think most people criticizing gender representation in Western media understand the difference between "this show is full of dudes because it's for guys" and "this show is full of dudes because it's for girls". (Some might still have philosophical objections to the latter, but they understand the difference.) The point is much less likely to come up in discussion of Western media mainly because Western media is much less likely to make such works in the first place. Overwhelmingly, if a Western work has a predominantly male cast, it's because it's for guys, and who wants a show/book/whatever full of women, amirite?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Dude, wtf? Recognizing that your country has different kinds of people in it is "self-hate"? Japan has huge problems with discrimination, to the extent that their media shies away from depicting minorities of any kind; there's a ton of Koreans in Japan, but when was the last time you saw one in anime? Japanese people who are not cis straight native-born 100% Yamato are not happy about being treated as nonexistent.

There's less than a million Koreans living in Japan, which puts them around half a percent of the population. I wouldn't really call that 'a ton'. Almost 99% of Japan is ethnically Japanese, so it is no surprise the media reflects that. Appealing to such a small percentage of your market seems like a disasterous move. It's the same reason so many yaoi and yuri series are made with straight people in mind as well. The amount of straight people into those genres outweight the actual homosexual demograohic.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7