• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces English Dub Casts for Tsukigakirei, Tsugumomo Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I dislike it when they cast women to voice the main teen guy in harem /fan service-heavy titles. Unless, of course, the running gag is the boy is very effeminate, cross-dresses, or regularly turns into a girl (like Ranma). This is one reason I watch most of my subbed anime muted. Good thing Funi got a guy to voice the "Tsugumomo" lead.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Man, Funimation is going all in with the dubs, and for almost any spring series too!!!!!!!

I would love Latin America's anime dub industry was this productive.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sonny Strait directing Tsukigakirei's dub makes me a little nervous. His casting is always interesting, but it doesn't always work. Like here, he cast Stephen Sanders as Kotarou. Stephen Sanders voice isn't that of a 3rd year middle school student, so he's probably gonna pitch his voice up to sound younger, which is something I DIDN'T want. Someone that naturally sounded younger, like Dallas Reid, would've been a better choice. I'm just going by the character's design; I'm not watching this series in Japanese. Hopefully I won't have to, but I guess we'll see.

For the most part, I've enjoyed some of his previous dubs; specifically Prison School, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Yuri!!! on Ice, and what I've seen of ēlDLIVE. But learning he's the ADR Director of any given show I'm looking forward to watching gives me pause every time and I can't help it.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't have doubted Sonny, because the dub was actually really nice! Stephen's voice for Kotarou is, as I expected, a bit deeper than I would've liked, but at least he's not pitching his voice. He does a good job. In face, everyone does a good job, and it all sounds really natural. Looks like I won't be watching this anime in Japanese after all! Smile

Last edited by Raebo101 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed and surprised when Tsugumomo wasn't picked up for daily stream review. I had a blast every week. I hope the dubs are good, since lately the few English dubs I've watched have ranged from tolerable to horrible.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Very good cast...for the most part. I'm a bit skeptical of Stephen being cast as Kotarou...Hopefully the result turns out at least decent.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I hope the dubs are good, since lately the few English dubs I've watched have ranged from tolerable to horrible.

Do you mind elaborating on these dubs you consider "tolerable to horrible"? Just curious.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I hope the dubs are good, since lately the few English dubs I've watched have ranged from tolerable to horrible.

I agree with you. Most of English dubs are just about articulation and emphasis, they don't deliver emotions. It seems the voice actors are more worried to read their text correctly than to actually "act".
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

I agree with you. Most of English dubs are just about articulation and emphasis, they don't deliver emotions. It seems the voice actors are more worried to read their text correctly than to actually "act".

Its honestly a matter of preference. Thats how I feel about subs for instance.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

See, if this statement was actually true, I wouldn't still be watching dubs today.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Nodz wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

See, if this statement was actually true, I wouldn't still be watching dubs today.

This statement is actually true, but there's no problem in appreciating dubbed versions.
I don't really think the dubs are horrible, I know there is a real work behind them and that each version (japanese, english, latino, spanish, german, french...) is perceived differently. An English version as an imitation of the japanese one would be very odd.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
"Tsugumomo" didn't debut at the expected time. It would be nice if Funi would, at least at an hour after the expected debut time, explaining why this didn't happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1