• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to introducing anime shows to kids ranging from age 4-12, the options are seriously limited. Aside from Pokémon, Beyblade, Digimon, and Yōkai Watch, and some others, most other anime shows are either too complex or too graphic for them to become interested in them.
XOtaku90

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
People in this thread are VASTLY underestimating the intellectual capacity of children and are WAY over generalizing or are perhaps to some degree projecting their own childhood experiences onto them. You late 80's babies and 90's babies must had really bad parents sheltering you from the world of dark content.

As a kid in the 80's, we never got scared from movies and TV shows with death. The Black Cauldron was a very dark movie that I saw as a little kid in theaters and love it. Black Cauldron had flesh being torn in a tornado of blood before being dumped in the cauldron. Kids can handle blood and death way more than you guys give them credit for.

Shonen shit like Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Pokemon, Naruto and One Piece are little kiddie stuff too. They are made for kids in Japan just like here. It's like saying Super Sentai is more darker and extreme than Power Rangers.

I can remember where I've seen people shake their heads and say "No no no, your child is probably too young for that.", 9 times out of 10, the kid is really not at all too young to at least have a rudimentary understanding of it and certainly won't somehow be scarred forever by it. I see parents at my job that won't let their 5 year old watch Adventure Time when it is a Cartoon Network for crying out loud.

If you can let kids watch Batman: The Animated Series, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Gravity Falls or whatever is popular for kids on TV then something like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach is fine for them. When they turn 13 or 14, show them more mature anime like Attack on Titan, Hellsing, Crying Freeman, The Guyver and Elfen Lied.

I'm 37 and I have a five year old kid. I show him Robotech because that was my first anime that I saw in the 80's and he finds so cool. He also loves to watch the dub of Super Dimension Century Orguss with me on DVD. He knows that cartoons are not real because I told him so when he was three years old.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
XOtaku90 wrote:
People in this thread are VASTLY underestimating the intellectual capacity of children and are WAY over generalizing or are perhaps to some degree projecting their own childhood experiences onto them. You late 80's babies and 90's babies must had really bad parents sheltering you from the world of dark content.

As a kid in the 80's, we never got scared from movies and TV shows with death. The Black Cauldron was a very dark movie that I saw as a little kid in theaters and love it. Black Cauldron had flesh being torn in a tornado of blood before being dumped in the cauldron. Kids can handle blood and death way more than you guys give them credit for.

As I said, it all comes down to the individual. Some people are just more sensitive to violence than others, and that goes for kids as well. You were okay with it when you were little, and it sounds like all of your friends were too. Doesn't mean everybody is.

It's part of being a parent to understand one's children's limitations and preferences. Simply assuming is the mark of a bad parent. Start gentle and pay attention to the kid, and only move on up if the kid exhibits interest in those storytelling elements.

(The Black Cauldron was rated PG, by the way. It was quite violent, but it was still Disney, so it's not like watching Candyman or Videodrome. Ugh, even now I get annoyed thinking about what my father did.)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
XOtaku90 wrote:
It's like saying Super Sentai is more darker and extreme than Power Rangers.

Well... I mean.. it is. That's why the stock footage is altered and they remove things like blood, stabbings, guns, and stuff. To say nothing of the out of costume footage where sentai rangers are shown all bloody and getting their head kicked in by bad guys. PR is pretty sterile and it still gets parental complaints all the time.

Quote:
If you can let kids watch Batman: The Animated Series, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Gravity Falls or whatever is popular for kids on TV then something like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach is fine for them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Gravity Falls doesnt have girls getting molested by a tentacle monster on the beach as it fondles their breasts and crotch inside their bathing suits, or people getting stabbed in the throat and choking to death on their own blood. Im all for parents taking charge of teaching kids the difference between fantasy and reality and judging whats appropriate for them, but those are some pretty false equivelencies.

And let's all stop bringing up BTAS. That show aired 25 years ago. Times change. We dont see that stuff on TV anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8