• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clematis

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
I have fond memories of the days of Monster Rancher, Doremi, Shin-chan, and Hamtaro from bk when I was a kid. All around really sweet and fun to watch.
meowneko

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Clematis wrote:
I have fond memories of the days of Monster Rancher, Doremi, Shin-chan, and Hamtaro from bk when I was a kid. All around really sweet and fun to watch.
this. i've mentioned a few back in my post in page 2 but how could i forget monster rancher that was super back then.
valoon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
I recommend Oshiri Kajiri Mushi and Gon as those don't really require to understand what they're saying, especially Gon.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
meowneko wrote:
Clematis wrote:
this. i've mentioned a few back in my post in page 2 but how could i forget monster rancher that was super back then.

Monster Rancher had a lot of dying from the monsters. It's not filtered death either, it's as explicit as they could get away from this type of show. Oh, and also has a succubus as a recurring character so this one is rather high maintenance.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the Space Show is another good movie to try...
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
Well I know one thing, my children will start out watching anime much differently than I did lol. When I was 5 my dad was an immature 24 year old who introduced me through Ninja Scroll and Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki ova's Anime hyper. Although by the time I was 6 I started watching DBZ on Toonami. I don't think parents should force their Interest on their children but instead casually give them glimpses of it. I don't want a little version of me when I have children I want them to be their own Individual self who likes what they like. But I plan on watching stuff like Digimon and Pokemon around them casually to start with.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
I see nothing wrong with showing a movie or TV show with death in it. Kids movies and shows can deal with dark themes in them. I bet most of you guys watch Batman: TAS and Gargoyles as kids. I really feel like it is bad shelter kids from these things. I know that every kid is different and some can handle things worst than others. However I think that parents who shelter their kids are ultimately only doing great harm to them in the long run by stunting/handicapping their growth as individuals if you ask me.

peno wrote:

Not bad for a kid around 10, but I am not sure about younger kids. And with Dragon Ball, I would probably start with the original Dragon Ball, which tends to be more tame than Z (unless you mind Goku's "pee-pee" being shown on-screen in a few scenes, and some fanservice).
BTW, my almost 11 years old nephew is already hooked on Deltora books, so, it's probably good time to introduce him to the anime adaptation.

I feel those would be fine to kids from 5-7 years old. Most of the people watch DBZ in the US was between the ages of 6-10 when it was on Toonami. Teknoman is a tone down version of Tekkaman Blade since it was from Saban, the same company behind Digimon and Power Rangers.

Also with Dragon Ball, I feel like some younger kids may not like it since it is not as action pack as DBZ.
Vizo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
If nothing else, teach them to follow stories and not formats.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
As for Frog, only if they're old enough to read subtitles, in which case it's ideal. Smile
Do not, I underline, bold, and repeat this with emphasis, DO NOT show them the Frog dub instead, as you value the show and your kids' future appreciation of anime.
If you're curious to peek into the Pandora's box, you will soon find out why.

As usual, I will be the sole defender of the Sgt. Frog dub. It's how my sister watched the show. She never would have watched it subtitled, or appreciated the Japanese pop culture references. It's a fine dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I see many suggestions in this thread, so I will talk about the elephant in the room. In a mere five years (the time it takes a newborn to grow enough to start enjoying TV) it will have been more than a decade since the analogic shutdown in japan, which reminds us that many of said "must see" suggestions are not 16:9. But also slowly but steadily anime as a whole has been improving due the increased use of computers in the craft of new animation. Many old timers will say animation looked better (more "organic") when it was 100% hand made, but those memories are from top of the line movies. Nowadays the bottom of the barrel shows looks better than many average animations from one or two decades ago and that trend is bound to continue (with debacles like "Hand Shakers"). So just like our generation looks down on anything from the black and white era (or from more than ten years ago, that is why saint seiya never took off in the USA), the next generation will look down upon anything that is not 16:9. Heck, if some parents insist in showing their kids classics from our generation, maybe the toddlers first sentence will be "This looks old dad" Anime hyper
Dandylion

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
where I'm from, Kids of all ages from the late 70' to the early 2000, grew up with anime off all kind (during that period of time anime were 40% to 60% of the animation broadcasted by TVs, national and local) !!!

besides almost all the, not so recent anime mentioned, we also watched:

Lupin the III
Hokuto no Ken
Versailles no Bara
Creamy Mami
Ai Shite Knight
Gundam
Slam dunk
Urusai Yatsura
Attacker you/No.1
Capitan Tsubasa
Tiger Mask
Saint Seya
City Hunter
Ranma 1/2
Lady Georgie
Dr.slump and Arale
Doraemon
Many Go Nagai stuff (especially giant robots)
Many Leiji Matsumoto stuff
Almost everything from the "world masterpiece theater"

And many, many more ... with various degrees of Violence, nudity, etc ... and although, sometimes, there were complaints about the contents of certain shows (and some of theme were even slightly censored) but nothing so big to actually cause any kind of tangible effects on the status of anime on TVs ... and practically no one has ever been traumatized to the point of developing mental scars or turning into a criminal Laughing (But maybe now-a-days things work differently)

Now a days it's a little harder to have anime on TV, but back in my days If you wanted to turn your kids in anime fans you just had to put them in front of your TV, no Parents "forced" Imput was needed Very Happy

And when I speak about cartoons of our childhood with those people (although most of them don't watch anime anymore), 90% of the most fondly rememberd cartoons are anime Very Happy

Some of you said that you want them to develop their own interest without influencing them, or without even trying to expose them unless they come to you asking to be involved ...

My stance on the matter is, engage your kids in your interests but don't be too pushy on them ... because, some of the best memories from my childhood comes from my parents, grandparents, relatives etc ... sharing their hobbies and passions with me (such as Fishing, Gardening and agricolture, Cars and Motorbikes, volleyball, hiking, etc ... ) !!!
Although I sometimes didn't enjoy some of those and I developed my own hobbies and passions overtime (completelly different from theirs), I will forever be grateful that they shared those moments and Experience with me !!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

mangamuscle wrote:
I see many suggestions in this thread, so I will talk about the elephant in the room...

Heck, if some parents insist in showing their kids classics from our generation, maybe the toddlers first sentence will be "This looks old dad" Anime hyper

many of the people, who were kids in the 90's/early 2000, from my country were shown classics from the 70/80 (Heck even things from the late 60) during their childhood and many of them loved those classics, and when they didn't like them it was just out of personal tastes ... I've never heard (maybe a couple of times) someone disliking them because of the outdated grapichs !!!

I think that kids now-a-days might be too ... Picky ??? Uneducated on the matter ??? "Mainstream trends" chasers ???

Last edited by Dandylion on Wed May 10, 2017 5:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Whatever you do, don't force it. At a certain age, mom and dad thinking it's cool is good reason to believe anything is super lame and should be avoided at all cost.
peno

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

I feel those would be fine to kids from 5-7 years old. Most of the people watch DBZ in the US was between the ages of 6-10 when it was on Toonami. Teknoman is a tone down version of Tekkaman Blade since it was from Saban, the same company behind Digimon and Power Rangers.

Also with Dragon Ball, I feel like some younger kids may not like it since it is not as action pack as DBZ.

And that's problem I have. Today's kids want action and the more the better. When I was that age, I watched things Maya the Bee, or Smurfs. And I think it made my childhood more happy than watching things like DBZ, even if we talk about that toned down version for TV airing in US (which is no more legally available, BTW). If anything, it made me appreciate real magic of our worlds, not shallow things that are in today's cartoons and, to a degree, even in anime.

As for sheltering kids from death and violence, well, yes, it's not good to keep them sheltering, but keep it age appropriate. One of the first anime I saw was Uchuusen Sagittarius, which is quite heavy on themes like death (I can't count how many times the main characters were sentenced to death), violence, war, poverty etc. But the thing is, I did not see it until I was about 12, when I was fully able to grasp it's seriousness, without being scarred. And I would not really suggest that to younger kids. On the other hand, there's anime Tico and Friends (part of World Masterpiece Theatre), another of my childhood gems, who is also dealing with serious themes, but does it in more light-hearted way that is easier to grasp by younger kids. But the main thing here is, that parents should watch the shows with their kids and be ready to answer questions when they arises. Unfortunately, today's parents tend to sit their kids in front of TV, to have them out of their backs, not caring what they are watching. Or video console/PC, not caring what they are playing. That's the worst kind parenting IMO.

mangamuscle wrote:
I see many suggestions in this thread, so I will talk about the elephant in the room. In a mere five years (the time it takes a newborn to grow enough to start enjoying TV) it will have been more than a decade since the analogic shutdown in japan, which reminds us that many of said "must see" suggestions are not 16:9. But also slowly but steadily anime as a whole has been improving due the increased use of computers in the craft of new animation. Many old timers will say animation looked better (more "organic") when it was 100% hand made, but those memories are from top of the line movies. Nowadays the bottom of the barrel shows looks better than many average animations from one or two decades ago and that trend is bound to continue (with debacles like "Hand Shakers"). So just like our generation looks down on anything from the black and white era (or from more than ten years ago, that is why saint seiya never took off in the USA), the next generation will look down upon anything that is not 16:9. Heck, if some parents insist in showing their kids classics from our generation, maybe the toddlers first sentence will be "This looks old dad" Anime hyper

Thanks for explaining me why so many shows these days are cropped from 4:3 to 16:9. Because those damned kids these days can't stand its original format. It's probably fight between older generation (me included), who complain about their childhood gems, like Smurfs, Recue Rangers or Goof Troop (heck, even the cropped version of older episodes of The Simpsons caused a lot of backlash here, but that's not kids show) and the younger one, who want to have all the screen filled with action. Fortunately, not all kids are like that. One of the most favourite show of my niece is Sherlock Hound, who airs 4:3 and not in any HD remaster here. Still, she loves that show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
the next generation will look down upon anything that is not 16:9.

The current generation already looks down on anything not made in 16:9, if we're being honest. But it's not that awful, ultimately. People still will latch onto a good story regardless of the visuals most of the time. People still get hooked on YuYu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop all the time.

I think a few people are getting a little too "it was so much better back in my day when we were open-minded and didn't need action and flashing colors in everything". As someone with a crap ton of children around me quite often(big family and lots of nieces and nephews), at least based on my anecdotal experience, kids these days are just like they always were. Just as ADD, just as willing to sit around playing simple games, just as open-minded and curious. And if you give them thoughtful content, they tend to actually appreciate it. At least in my experience.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
the next generation will look down upon anything that is not 16:9.

The current generation already looks down on anything not made in 16:9, if we're being honest. But it's not that awful, ultimately. People still will latch onto a good story regardless of the visuals most of the time. People still get hooked on YuYu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop all the time.

I think a few people are getting a little too "it was so much better back in my day when we were open-minded and didn't need action and flashing colors in everything". As someone with a crap ton of children around me quite often(big family and lots of nieces and nephews), at least based on my anecdotal experience, kids these days are just like they always were. Just as ADD, just as willing to sit around playing simple games, just as open-minded and curious. And if you give them thoughtful content, they tend to actually appreciate it. At least in my experience.

This. All of this.

For every generation, what is current is current, what came before came before, and the best people always are open to a mix of both.

King Kong (1933) and Ben Hur are still beloved films; Nowadays, HBO and AMC make wildly successful, quality, TV shows: Art is art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8