• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Oreimo Made Little Sisters a Big Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if there are roots going back even further than Sister Princess. Specifically, while Sasami wasn't Tenchi Masaki's little sister, she was a little sister, and she did call him "Tenchi-nii-chan" and had that general dynamic.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's difficult to talk about Eromanga Sensei without invoking the name of its loud-mouthed older sibling, but the differences become apparent once you look past the surface. Unlike Oreimo's Kirino, Sagiri of Eromanga Sensei matches the otaku's image of the ideal little sister: a quiet, doe-eyed girl who exudes moe appeal. And unlike the main duo in Oreimo, the siblings in Eromanga Sensei are not related by blood, allowing the romance to play out with a less direct connection to real-life incest.

And unlike Oreimo, Eromanga seems to NOT have appealing characters, or storyline. Sounds like another one of those series that you would love to transform it into a better story. Srsly, what's with Japan writing about underdog people who are trying to learn an artistic profession, and instead of commiting to write the development from newbie to pro, they transform these types of stories into an scenario for wish-fullfillment? Fuuka, Saekano, and now this. If it wasn't for the faithful adaptation crap and pleasing the fans, these would be worth watching series in the same way as Bakuman or Shirobako. Will we see these stories get made one day in the future.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Giga started the trend of Sispri knockoffs, and I believe they're still around today, although I haven't played a Giga game in years.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Srsly, what's with Japan writing about underdog people who are trying to learn an artistic profession, and instead of commiting to write the development from newbie to pro, they transform these types of stories into an scenario for wish-fullfillment? Fuuka, Saekano, and now this. If it wasn't for the faithful adaptation crap and pleasing the fans, these would be worth watching series in the same way as Bakuman or Shirobako. Will we see these stories get made one day in the future.

Bakuman or Shirobako are aimed to a younger shonen audience. Development from newbie to pro is typical of shonen manga, like all characters have to go trough training and learning.
Eromanga Sensei and Saekano are more aimed to a older audience that find all that learning and training, too boring and getting in the way of the plot. They prefer a already talented character without having to go to the newbie to pro story.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
You know what? I actually enjoyed Oreimo. All of it. Even that part.

Sure the full on incest at the end is a bit of a weird departure considering you could watch the whole of Season 1 and safely assume that their relationship is platonic. Plus I'm absolutely disappointed that the parodies of otaku culture were never quite as biting in Season 2. But in terms of execution I actually didn't mind too much how they tackled the topic of incest.

However, Eromanga-sensei is in a COMPLETELY different ballpark. It basically just came bursting out of the starting gates screaming 'I AM TRASH' without even the slightest hint of shame. The characters and their situation are fake and impossible to relate to, the incest is proper fetishy, the fanservice is ramped up, the character designs all make use of that really weird kind of gradient shading that's become all too common in modern anime, the works. It's pure unaplogetic trash.

Eh... I agree and disagree. This one seems to have less heart than Oreimo, but I still like it. The main character is still in that weird area of having more personality than is typical of a LN protagonist, but not quite having enough to REALLY be his own memorable character. He's a Tomoya Okazaki, but not quite an Okabe Rintaro (I know those are Visual Novels but I'm just trying to make a point). The scenario is a little TOO perfect to be believable (no parents and their guardian is never around? Really?), I don't know how the sister is even still in school if she's a hikkikomori to such an extent that her brother has only seen her ONCE before the series proper. How is she even alive without being a malnourished shell of a human?

I did also find Megumi to be a little annoying, but not as terrible as that type of character has the potential to be. On that note, I can also admit that the show is a little TOO much of a platonic harem. I mean... I think that the main guy is the only male character of note so far. Oreimo was pretty female-centric in terms of characters, but there were plenty of guys in supporting roles.

However, are there positives? Yes. A couple of the jokes made me laugh, the concept of a LN-turned-anime about a Light Novel protagonist explored in moderate depth is pretty nice, and you know what? Sagiri is a way more endearing little sister character than Kirino could ever dream of being. She's still got moments of entitled annoyance, but she's actually cute and lovable. I actually smiled watching the ED of episode 2, and I had to be tied down when watching this with friends to prevent me from constantly replaying the part of the OP where she dances in her Eromanga-sensei mask.

I laughed when Megumi tried to seduce Masamune, and at first he just seems innocently oblivious or just uninterested spoiler[only to monologue in his head about how he always washes the panties of a way more beautiful girl anyway, sounding like a depraved pervert as he does so]. The OP is great, the EDs are great, the series has a good heart despite the title, and I honestly don't see myself hating it or anything. I mean, I don't think the author will ever recreate the brilliance and grace of Kuroneko, my precious waifu of all time, but he doesn't have to.

Of course, if the series doesn't evolve a little, I'll probably lower my opinion.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Sagiri is a way more endearing little sister character than Kirino could ever dream of being. She's still got moments of entitled annoyance, but she's actually cute and lovable. I actually smiled watching the ED of episode 2, and I had to be tied down when watching this with friends to prevent me from constantly replaying the part of the OP where she dances in her Eromanga-sensei mask. .

Yep, I pretty much agree with you because I couldn't help but hate the hell out of Kirino. She was not nice and not even cute. Sagiri, on the other hand, is more charming and well, not that annoying. And I really like how carefree she is when she is alone.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I like Masamune of Eromanga sensei. As an older brother, I can emphasize with wanting to be the ideal older brother, even if I would never romantically love my little sister. The way his overwhelming romantic love for Sagiri keeps him away from said ideal is amusing.

Sagiri is more likable than Kirino overall. I don't remember enough of Oreimo to make more direct comparisons, but Yamada Elf is likable enough.

Megumin is a character I love to hate more than anything. She's the distillation of the reasons why otaku hate normal people, and I can't help but commend the author for executing that pretty well.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
“If I had to write a new little sister-themed story right this minute, I'd like to try my hand at a new setting,” he says. “I might make the characters go to another world and have adventures there. It'd be one of those isekai stories.”

Oh boy that sure sounds like a good premise.

It was kind of done already with .hack//Legend of the Twilight.

-Stuart Smith
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, after watching Eromanga, its hard to imagine that Fushimi isn't actually just really into little sisters...
The show is sexual as all hell. Which I think is how it should be, if I'm honest. It's selling Sagiri exceptionally well as the cute, endearing, little sister, thanks largely to some pretty great animation(there is even a dedicated Sagiri animator, Keisuke Kobayashi, who is charged with making all of Sagiri's important scenes especially cute and sexy). It's going to turn off a number of people, no doubt, but they are targeting that audience with abandon and I can appreciate that.
It's a shame if Fushimi feels like he's got no choice but to make more little sister stuff against his well though. I'd like to see him make that horror story. Maybe he can combine little sisters and horror next time and get the best of both. Laughing Ultimately, that would be really really easy.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Man, after watching Eromanga, its hard to imagine that Fushimi isn't actually just really into little sisters...
It's a shame if Fushimi feels like he's got no choice but to make more little sister stuff against his well though. I'd like to see him make that horror story. Maybe he can combine little sisters and horror next time and get the best of both. Laughing Ultimately, that would be really really easy.

If the guy did have a real life little sister, I can't help but suspect that she would be closer to Sagiri than Kirino.

Sadly, little sister horror was already done with Pupa. I would try out the imouto isekai novel though. I ended up dropping Oreimo, but I still think that he's an enjoyable enough author to at least give a fair shake.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Bakuman or Shirobako are aimed to a younger shonen audience...
Eromanga Sensei and Saekano are more aimed to a older audience that find all that learning and training, too boring and getting in the way of the plot. They prefer a already talented character without having to go to the newbie to pro story.

Bakuman is a shounen manga, so you are correct that it's aimed at a younger audience. Shirobako however is aimed at an older audience who don't need the shounen manga or harem light novel tropes thrown at them to keep them interested.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The show is sexual as all hell. Which I think is how it should be, if I'm honest. It's selling Sagiri exceptionally well as the cute, endearing, little sister, thanks largely to some pretty great animation(there is even a dedicated Sagiri animator, Keisuke Kobayashi, who is charged with making all of Sagiri's important scenes especially cute and sexy). It's going to turn off a number of people, no doubt, but they are targeting that audience with abandon and I can appreciate that.

Are they doing all of the Sagiri animation? I'd heard they had a dedicated animator (almost certainly from the same source as you) but IIRC there was some question as to whether they were just one of the ones on it or the only one. If they did all of them, I have to give them props for at least some of the scenes.

Also as mentioned earlier, Pupa already did imouto moe (body) horror. I think that would have been better if it was a full length series, but considering it got delayed and turned into a short because of its content (it's pretty strong on the imouto moe angle), that wasn't in the cards.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Personally I love the little sister anime stuff. I only wish that koi kaze would be licence rescued so I can own that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Are they doing all of the Sagiri animation? I'd heard they had a dedicated animator (almost certainly from the same source as you) but IIRC there was some question as to whether they were just one of the ones on it or the only one. If they did all of them, I have to give them props for at least some of the scenes.

I'm almost certain that they are only responsible for the most important scenes with her(the ones that you think are pretty good are most likely done by him), but I could be wrong. Maybe we'll get more confirmation on that later.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I can't get behind the little sister thing. At all. Maybe it's because I'm a middle child, and thus even the idea of siblings having sex grosses me out. But even then, I just can't most of the time. (I do admittedly ship cousins Honey and Mori from Ouran, though in that case, cousins are not viewed as incestuous- or at least, not as incestuous as brother and sister).

One of the things I'm curious about is WHY imouto is so popular in the first place. Yes, this article delved into it, but I can think of a few factors.

1. Japanese mythos features incest. Much like Greek mythology, Japan has a LOT of inbreeding going on. Most famously, Izanami was the little sister and wife of Izanagi. Yes, mainstream modern Japan is just as disgusted by incest as Americans. HOWEVER, they are a lot more comfortable discussing it.

2. The dropping birth rate. Here is the page quote from TV Tropes' "Little Sister Heroine" page: "The whole 'little sister' thing is the fantasy of guys who don't have sisters in real life." — Koyomi, Bakemonogatari. No truer words have been spoken. Nowadays, you're seeing far less children being born in Japan, and even less families with more than one child. So you have a whole bunch of straight men whose only significant interactions with women are through their mothers. Which leads into the most important factor...

3. It's another form of the domination fantasy. Now, I don't really believe these straight men actually want a sibling they can f**k. That's why we have the "not really X" copout you see so often. "They're not REALLY blood siblings, so it's okay that they're having sex!" However, what matters is that this couple is brother and sister in spirit. What does that mean? Well, you also have to take Japanese values in mind. Today's Japanese values are born from Confucianism, which preaches filial piety. Basically, "honor thy mother and thy father", or in this case "honor thy elder brother". These man want a woman who they not only don't have to win over AND who can live in their house without arousing suspiscion, but who they can dominate by virtue of being "family". Add Japan's obession with youth and in some cases, good-old-fashioned otaku-flavored circle jerking, and you have a little sister who can be marketed to an easily-manipulated demographic.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on why little sisters are as popular as they are. You?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6