• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do All The Kids Want To Move To Tokyo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriHime77

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Exactly! It seems like marketing with the aim of promoting young people to move to these small towns seems to boil down to, "Here, we do things the old way" like it was something to be proud of. Now, I know some things are best done the old ways, but not everything ought to be like that. Now, I only got Japanese fiction to go on, but something I keep seeing in these stories of the kids who want to move out to Tokyo is that there is always some conflict between the young person, who desires a fast-paced life and has a smartphone and all that, and between his or her parents and elders, who don't understand why this character wants that lifestyle, in a "Why aren't you satisfied with what we have?" kind of way. Does that actually happen a lot in rural Japan?

Now, I don't think it's quite as common in Japan as it is here in the United States, but Americans often really, really like that small community feel that smaller towns have. You mentioned that it's not quite the same though. At the town where I went to college, there was that feel of everybody knowing each other, at least in small geographical areas. The college itself also tried to foster that environment, but because students came over from all around the country, it never works, though it doesn't stop them from trying.

I know I wouldn't be able to stand living in the countryside for the rest of my life. The few years I spent in that small college town nearly drove me crazy due to my interests clashing with the rest of the place (and I'm sure I came off as kind of standoffish and distant because I never really took part in any of their community events).

Yeah, that’s pretty spot on. Old is not necessarily bad or boring, but a lot of the marketing done isn’t done appropriately for young people, because it’s advertising done by old people for old tastes.

There is some of that. A lot of kids are kinda resigned to just fitting in to the family business or getting a local job rather than doing what they want. Partly because parents generally pay for tuition, so if they say no, that’s it. Also, most kids have never travelled outside of our prefecture, maybe a school trip to Osaka or Hiroshima once, so city life is a little spooky and too far out of their imagination. A lot of it is parents/old people being stubborn and refusing to look at modern life without judgement (it’s too American/western, it’s unnecessary, it costs too much, we don’t need change etc).

My town isn’t super small, but in small places I’d imagine it’s the same. I also don’t get involved in a lot of community activities. Partly because some don’t allow females (ie most shrine related festivals) or already have strong communities so you can’t enter without knowing someone. Other times, whoever shows up to the event is just old grannies and I’d rather talk to someone from a closer decade ;p

Interestingly, my city has an announcement system. Mostly it’s used for things like ‘there’s a seriously bad storm stay instead unless you HAVE to go somewhere’, but occasionally (like 9pm last night) it’s used for missing person alerts. Not the same type of community feel, but it’s not something you’d get in Tokyo either.

I can’t live here much longer (and I know the other foreigners feel the same) purely because there’s nothing to do and our interests are elsewhere. With the rise of the internet, I suspect this is much case for young people, while they’re parents aren’t really exposed to it and thus don’t see why their kids want to move.

I don't know if I agree with Ioka, at least for Japan. Japan is mostly made of Japanese, so racism in the countryside is only a thing against foreigners, so it's not a reason for Japanese kids to leave, same as xenophobia. Unless, they're half, or very socially aware and it bugs them. Same as religiosity. So I'll assume those are all meant for an American setting. Homophobia is an interesting one. One of my schools actually has LGBT ally stuff in a busy area, so I think some areas are trying to educate the kids that it's okay. I think this is part of an overall program to stop bullying, but it's a start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4