• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Netizens Choose Jump's Best Manga Artist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Masakazu Katsura? What's his best work considering I never heard of him/her.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I think its a mighty fine list. Takeshi Obata's art is always top notch in the multiple projects he's done. Akira Toriyama's art style is about as distinct as it gets. The big three for many years in One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach actually all had good art styles for years. Oda's still being so expressive. Kishimoto always kept the art quality up. Even Tite Kubo's art was great for a long time even if the writing wasn't on par. While I love Yoshiko Togashi's art when he's on the op of his game, but it can get quite minimalistic at spots especially the end of Yu Yu Hakusho. I can't complain about the list too much actually.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

What? Shocked

Well, I guess he's not very known now, but if you were a manga fan in the early 2000s chances are you would have bought one of his manga, I mean he's practically been published in every country that publishes manga.

Katsura loves superheroes, especially Batman, so his debut was a super hero manga title called Wingman back in the 80s, it sold good enough in Jump to be published for like 15 volumes and have a 50ish episode anime but by then the readers had spoken and they knew what they wanted from Katsura: butts.

That man likes big butts I cannot lie *lame pun*, lame jokes aside he probably has drawn some of the best drawn butts I have seen in my life, he could even give lectures about drawing butts for a living lol:
http://imgur.com/gallery/1ONDF

Jump readers wanted him to do a love comedy with some ecchi elements, so for a little more than a decade he gave the readers what they wanted publishing various Romcom ecchi series in Weekly Jump: Video Girl Ai, Dna2, Shadow Lady and I''s (I'm probably forgetting one series)

After finishing I''S he moved from Weekly Jump to Young Jump (IIRC?) to publish what he wanted to publish for so long: another super hero manga, Zetman.

He continued Zetman and then made the characters designs for Tiger and Bunny, the show proved to be popular so his own Zetman manga was made into an anime too, I think he's still doing that and every now and then publishes one-shots with Akira Toriyama.

All butt jokes aside his artwork is gorgeous and I personally really, really liked I''s and Video Girl.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
My top pick would be Yuusuke Murata. I had never seen his work until after I watched the Eyeshield 21 anime, which looked pretty ordinary, but when I saw some pages from the manga (after what he did with ONE's One Punch Man) I was blown away.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kentaro Yabuki got 12th place not too bad although Tetsuo Hara should be higher I think and he top three is pretty much what I expected to be. Obata's art is always impressive even little amounts of detail like bothering to draw in the shade a creamer cup casts on a saucer in a scene in Bakuman.

Nice to see people still remember Katsura I thought I's it was a great series
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Shun Saeki's work getting recognized. I'm not a big manga reader but I've been an avid fan of Food Wars ever since I first started reading it, and the art style is a big part of the reason why. It's one of those manga where I'll sometimes just pause for a few minutes to gaze at particularly good panels and soak them in.
Rychy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Rychy on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

What? Shocked

Well, I guess he's not very known now, but if you were a manga fan in the early 2000s chances are you would have bought one of his manga, I mean he's practically been published in every country that publishes manga.

Katsura loves superheroes, especially Batman, so his debut was a super hero manga title called Wingman back in the 80s, it sold good enough in Jump to be published for like 15 volumes and have a 50ish episode anime but by then the readers had spoken and they knew what they wanted from Katsura: butts.

That man likes big butts I cannot lie *lame pun*, lame jokes aside he probably has drawn some of the best drawn butts I have seen in my life, he could even give lectures about drawing butts for a living lol:
http://imgur.com/gallery/1ONDF

Jump readers wanted him to do a love comedy with some ecchi elements, so for a little more than a decade he gave the readers what they wanted publishing various Romcom ecchi series in Weekly Jump: Video Girl Ai, Dna2, Shadow Lady and I''s (I'm probably forgetting one series)

After finishing I''S he moved from Weekly Jump to Young Jump (IIRC?) to publish what he wanted to publish for so long: another super hero manga, Zetman.

He continued Zetman and then made the characters designs for Tiger and Bunny, the show proved to be popular so his own Zetman manga was made into an anime too, I think he's still doing that and every now and then publishes one-shots with Akira Toriyama.

All butt jokes aside his artwork is gorgeous and I personally really, really liked I''s and Video Girl.

I had the same reaction, you should at minimum know Video Girl Ai. But as far as artstyle goes his is very distinct and very well done.

Purely on art style Death Note is def up there.

Although if we were going just manga/anime overall, I dont think too many people are on range murata's level.
HeroCrests

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The mediocre art of Shokugeki no Soma is in here but not Ryu Fujisaki??? Now that's unfair. Even if the in-manga art of Houshin Engi is relatively standart for the era, you have to admit the coloured illustrations are really out of this world.

It could be Houshin Engi's obscurity at least in modern times, but it really doesn't get even half the credit for being a not perfect, but really solid series with fantastic art, specially when competing against things like these.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
@Hero Crest:
No need to insult, both mangaka have very different art styles lol, Soma's mangaka was a hentai artist while FujiRyu is a sci-fi lover with some wacky designs, I mean perhaps his designs are waaaay to 'out there' for some people and that's why he wasn't mentioned, that and the fact he hasn't published in Weekly Jump for like 15 years might be why he wasn't voted so much..

IMO the list is clearly flawed and based too much on popularity instead of actually being a good artist.

IMO the list should have been something like this, in no particular order:
1.- Obata
2.- Inoue
3.- Katsura
4.- Murata

Some omissions:
I'm kinda impressed Prince of Tennis' Konomi, Rokudenashi BLUES'/ROOKIES' Morita or Rurouni Kenshin's Watsuki didn't make the list, I mean Watsuki's art declined after Ruroken but the other 2 have improved a lot..
I guess not enough Fujoshis were polled for Prince of tennis to get in.

Also Mizuki Kawashita's had lovely art..
Monkey D luffY 4

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
No berserk artist?? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
HeroCrests wrote:
Even if the in-manga art of Houshin Engi is relatively standart for the era, you have to admit the coloured illustrations are really out of this world.

While I don't necessarily agree with you that Fujisaki should've had the list just from a relevancy standpoint (I believe they started a new series somewhat recently but I don't know if it received much traction), gotta agree their colouring is stunning. Really inventive and exciting. As a fan of the Shiki series, their designs and colours were lovely (even if some of the designs were a bit bizarre).

I think the list is largely based on relevancy and popularity. Personally I don't really see Kentaro Yabuki as having a particularly noteworthy art style, but the series is very popular and is wrapping up so it's forefront on a lot of people's minds.

That said, I'm surprised Buichi Terasawa is on there. I can't say whether or not they're particularly "skilled" or not, but I guess he's still in people's minds despite not really doing much in recent years. I can understand Osamu Akimoto because Kochikame is super popular and recently ended to much fanfare, but Buichi...? I guess people just love that Cobra no matter the decade.

I'm happy Masakazu Katsura got in there. While I always forget his name, his style is instantly recognisable. I read parts of Video Girl Ai many years ago (when I was way wayyy to young to have seen it, I think), and Shadow Girl was always a winner for me, despite (or maybe because of) its tackiness.
perroloco wrote:

I love this because he looks so passionate and like everyone's having a great time (even the butt model looks like she's having fun) and he looks so proud of everyone and their butts in the last image.
Midaro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
The result is absurd. Takehiko Inoue, Tsukasa Hojo and Hirohiko Araki should go before Obata and Akira Toriyama. I would even include Eiichiro Oda before these two for his distinctive and varied design of characters and worlds, even though I dislike his last journey into fan service.

1. Takehiko Inoue
2. Tsukasa Hojo
3. Hirohiko Araki
4. Eiichiro Oda
5. Takeshi Obata.
6. Akira Toriyama.
7. Masakazu Katsura.
8. Hideaki Sorachi.

Takehiko Inoue should be number one. Just take a look at the amount of detail and the design of each single page of Vagabond or Real. His characters are alive, of all ages and states of mind. The background is also detailed beautifully and plays a strong part into the stories. Inoue sensei controls anatomy and movement like no other. His drawings are pure art and his composition is always balanced. Are readers judging him from Slam Dunk or from the work he's doing right now?
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
lol Togashi got on the list. It's funny that even with his quality being pretty bad usually, his unique ideas/style to how he portrays people or their powers puts him way ahead most authors. Though he is quite far down so his low quality wasn't completely overlooked
Scuzi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
The result is absurd. Takehiko Inoue, Tsukasa Hojo and Hirohiko Araki should go before Obata and Akira Toriyama. I would even include Eiichiro Oda before these two for his distinctive and varied design of characters and worlds, even though I dislike his last journey into fan service.

1. Takehiko Inoue
2. Tsukasa Hojo
3. Hirohiko Araki
4. Eiichiro Oda
5. Takeshi Obata.
6. Akira Toriyama.
7. Masakazu Katsura.
8. Hideaki Sorachi.

Takehiko Inoue should be number one. Just take a look at the amount of detail and the design of each single page of Vagabond or Real. His characters are alive, of all ages and states of mind. The background is also detailed beautifully and plays a strong part into the stories. Inoue sensei controls anatomy and movement like no other. His drawings are pure art and his composition is always balanced. Are readers judging him from Slam Dunk or from the work he's doing right now?

Finally, someone who gets it... But I'd definitely add murata in my top 10.
I simply do not see how can he fall below the likes of saeki shun.
the art of Eyeshield 21 was such a huge factor in making it one of the best ever sports manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2