• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Selling Fake Miyazaki, Shinkai Sketches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was well known by now that if you see something listed as being drawn by an internationally famous artist on Yahoo Japan, it's always a fake. These sketches pop up weekly on YJ. While most people stay away from it, I guess there's always someone who thinks they might be legit.

Not sure why it took over 6 months to arrest the man behind it, though.

There are still counterfeits on YJ of artwork attributed to famous artists, so unless the Japanese police are going to arrest everyone involved with this shady practice, there will still be counterfeits out there.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
Actar

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the reasons I don't purchase autographs online. The second reason, is that I feel that it lacks sentimental value and meaning as, to me, an autograph is also meant to be a piece commemorating the experience of having met an artist in person.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Lol, who would buy this?? I guess some people can be fooled but you have to be a little kid or really naiive to think it's real. This is the best story i've seen all week!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
There's a sucker born every minute they say; I'm not surprised there's people who buy these as legit items. Really, the mere fact that they're listed for auction implies a ready market.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
A part of me feels kinda sad that someone was desperate enough to try this stupid stunt. Crying or Very sad The other part is glad he got caught. Twisted Evil
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
This is one of the reasons I don't purchase autographs online. The second reason, is that I feel that it lacks sentimental value and meaning as, to me, an autograph is also meant to be a piece commemorating the experience of having met an artist in person.
Know what you mean! Smile Above my mantel are two autographed photos: Harou Nakajima, the "man in the rubber suit" from the original Gojira (1954) to the early '70s, and Akira Takarada, the male (human) lead from the original Gojira. At the time, they were 86 and 80 years old respectively; it was a great moment to have photos taken with them!
mixedfish

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
There's a sucker born every minute they say; I'm not surprised there's people who buy these as legit items. Really, the mere fact that they're listed for auction implies a ready market.

How do you know they are suckers and not taking a punt? $68 to some is a small price to pay for the chance that it might be real, and if it is real it will be worth a lot more.

It's similar to Banksy selling street art for $60. You just never know.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
If he didn't forge the signatures, he'd probably do fine with a booth at Comiket.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A 34-year-old man from Bizen, Okayama payed 17,000 yen (US$149) for one of them

I think you meant "paid"?

Anyway, these kinds of things are pretty rampant on Yahoo! Auctions. Fake illustrations, fake autographs... A lot of them look horrible yet people still get tricked somehow. If people just used some common sense, it would be obviously fishy that one person can accumulate so many rare autographs and illustrations. I always laugh at the apparent abundance of signed autograph boards by the Monogatari series cast.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If you see an "autographed" sketch of a famous artist at a shopping website and though it was too good to be true, it certainly is.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
mixedfish wrote:
How do you know they are suckers and not taking a punt? $68 to some is a small price to pay for the chance that it might be real, and if it is real it will be worth a lot more.

It's similar to Banksy selling street art for $60. You just never know.

I'd encourage you to look at the artwork being attributed to these artists.

Here's a great example - http://shoppingmalljapan.com/cgi-bin/search/b.cgi?k253817011

This linked One Piece sketch is a great example of how most counterfeits can't properly write Oda's name in cursive. It's the same with artwork sold on YJ that's attributed to Naoko Takeuchi. You can tell that the person who drew it has no familiarity whatsoever with cursive western characters. These sketches look like they were drawn in about 10 minutes using stock character images you can find online, or images of legitimate sketches that the artist drew that can be found in a quick Google search.

Another dead giveaway is how recently the account was made and where the majority of the feedback is from. If it's from buying/selling 10 yen items, this is not a legitimate seller. Often, if the autograph is legitimate, the seller will include proof, such as the winning notice received from the company that awarded the signed item.

There is a lot of legitimate artwork being sold on Yahoo Japan. They are usually sketches by newer artists and artists past their prime, especially if that artwork features a character from a now unknown series. So while I wouldn't write off every autograph/sketch as being fake on Yahoo Japan (I buy autographed goods often on YJ), it's definitely not where I would go if I wanted a legitimate autograph from a very famous artist.
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
Proves perfectly that there are enough idiots you can make money on.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Gotta figure forgeries of things like this are a problem, especially for us foreign otaku. Authenticity can be virtually impossible to ascertain, especially if you're not literate. And even if you are...

I mean, I've got an oversized Mitsuru Adachi artbook that is presumably signed by the man himself... but I don't even know how I would go about seeing whether or not it's real or not, and I'm unlikely to find anyone capable of helping me figure that out in this hemisphere.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
If he didn't forge the signatures, he'd probably do fine with a booth at Comiket.

I think they still might do this at the various comic cons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1