• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Soundtrack and the Fury

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Ocean also did a dub of the second half of DBZ, using FUNi's script, that aired exclusively in Canada and parts of Europe in the early 2000s. It's hard to find now, and really not very good, but it recycled lots of music from the Mega-Man cartoon from the 90s. No idea why.

I alluded to that in my post above about that dub. They also used music from the Monster Rancher anime as well. They also actually have their own dub of Dragon Ball Kai as well. I think over 7 actors voiced Goku in that dub or something like that. Haha
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, here's another one: I can't remember exactly which one it was, but FUNi had to completely excise an ending theme from their One Piece releases due to not being able to obtain the rights to use it. (Given the usual pattern of things, I'm assuming it was due to a Japanese producer wanting to charge two arms and three legs for the rights to use the boy band involved, thinking that their domestic popularity should automatically translate internationally.) FUNi wound up just extending the previous ending theme to cover the gap. In addition, I believe a rights issue was what led to them stopping the practice of creating dubbed versions of the opening/ending songs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But there's a far simpler reason that the soundtrack can't be included, and that's because the original Japanese footage doesn't sync up with the English version – there were too many edits in Saban's version.

Rave Master ran into the same problem, which is a shame because the original soundtrack was amazing. Actually, watching the original subbed series is almost like watching an entirely different anime when it's not chopped to hell and rearranged.

The most heartbreaking one for me was what they did to Monster, with no explanation, afaik. I imagine there were some rights issues around the ED vocals, which resulted in both EDs being only instrumentals. But aside from that and replacing Be My Baby and Over the Rainbow, which didn't surprise me, they also shuffled around songs used in the original, which I've never understood. I can't see how it would be a rights issue since only Kuniaki Haishima is credited for the series' music. If they can use some of his music, why not all of it, and why change where pieces are heard in the series?

I keep hoping that someone will eventually license rescue this, and if they do, it would be nice to have the original soundtrack restored (not counting other artists' licenses, which are probably right out). At least Japan and Korea got the original arrangement, so it still exists out there.
slowhand

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
UFO was actually pretty cool.

It suffered from the "British people interminably chewing the scenery" problems that most everything televisual coming out of Old Blighty was afflicted with in those days, but it did combine rather intellectual themes with lots of groovy (and highly-collectable) model vehicles blowing each other up on a regular basis.

I always figured Big O's appropriation for an homage, anyway.

Now get off my damned lawn...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
It always puzzles me how Japanese composers more often than not get away with this crap.

Oh well, at least I still have my Big-O Original Sound Score (ages ago before it went sold out and never restocked) so I can listen to the opening all I want without having to buy some overpriced out of print DVDs for it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Oh right, here's another one: I can't remember exactly which one it was, but FUNi had to completely excise an ending theme from their One Piece releases due to not being able to obtain the rights to use it. (Given the usual pattern of things, I'm assuming it was due to a Japanese producer wanting to charge two arms and three legs for the rights to use the boy band involved, thinking that their domestic popularity should automatically translate internationally.) FUNi wound up just extending the previous ending theme to cover the gap. In addition, I believe a rights issue was what led to them stopping the practice of creating dubbed versions of the opening/ending songs.

That was "Mirai Koukai" by Tackey & Tsubasa... Which is another Johnny & Associates act, just like Tokio!

Did FUNi also skip over "Crazy Rainbow" for One Piece? That OP theme was also done by T&T, so I'm guessing it was skipped, too. Shame, because it's a fun as all hell OP theme.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
What a trip down memory lane Mr. Toole! I forgot how much the opener's guitar riffs sounded like Queen's signature, can see why they opted to leave it off. The pronunciation of the English was so off, I though they were saying something unintelligable like "bee-go! bee-go, weebo, bee-go!". And UFO! I used to watch that show. Then the "New Opener" based on the Kinks hit. Seriously, can Rui Nagai compose an original song??
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Gundam, one of my favorite instances of plagiarized music is a piece of music in the F91 film that's obviously supposed to be the Imperial March from Star Wars.

Lord Geo wrote:
Did FUNi also skip over "Crazy Rainbow" for One Piece? That OP theme was also done by T&T, so I'm guessing it was skipped, too. Shame, because it's a fun as all hell OP theme.

No, "Crazy Rainbow" was kept. "Mirai Koukai" is the only song that's been removed to date.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of suspiciously similar songs PSI-MIssing, the OP for A Certain Magical Index sounds suspiciously like Kaiba's Theme in Yugioh.
Oh and for an obscure similarity there's also the OP for Aiura sounding suspiciously like "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

That was "Mirai Koukai" by Tackey & Tsubasa... Which is another Johnny & Associates act, just like Tokio!

No, they managed to keep "Crazy Rainbow" somehow, which makes the earlier omission stranger. I guess FUNi managed to work something out by then, unless there was some other party involved with "Mirai Koukai" in particular that blocked its use.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
No, they managed to keep "Crazy Rainbow" somehow, which makes the earlier omission stranger. I guess FUNi managed to work something out by then, unless there was some other party involved with "Mirai Koukai" in particular that blocked its use.

Maybe One Piece's lack of ED themes not long before "Crazy Rainbow" make it easier to handle rights issues, especially if it's a money issue. Only having to pay for the rights to one song at a time now might make it more possible to include some themes that might otherwise not be doable if there was an ED theme to get approval for, too.
Amonduul

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I've remembered another very egregious example: L's leitmotif from Death Note, which is 100% just the beginning part of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" that was used in The Exorcist. I'm honestly a little unsure/amazed how they got away with that one, it seems like it would have been a very easy target for a lawsuit or something.
Gonstead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This actually reminds me of back when Funimation were first releasing Fullmetal Alchemist, they for some reason didn't have the first OP song "Melissa" playing for the first 13 or so episodes. Instead, they had "Ready Steady GO!". the second OP playing over the first's visuals which basically meant RSG was playing for a full 26 or so episodes. Since then, I've always associated FMA with RSG and when I heard "Melissa" for the first time, it really weirded me out and to this day I still can't ever get over it.

There was a point that I'd thought I might have made it all up in my mind but luckily I did find someone on Youtube who had the exact opening I described above uploaded, confirming me memory wasn't faulty. I can't seem to find it right now but I was lucky enough to save a copy of it. Now if only I could find that alternate ending they had where RSG was overlayed over parts of the first OP visuals, that would complete my nostalgia for this series.

Does anyone else remember this? Would be great to hear confirmation that others also experienced it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Gonstead wrote:
This actually reminds me of back when Funimation were first releasing Fullmetal Alchemist, they for some reason didn't have the first OP song "Melissa" playing for the first 13 or so episodes. Instead, they had "Ready Steady GO!". the second OP playing over the first's visuals which basically meant RSG was playing for a full 26 or so episodes. Since then, I've always associated FMA with RSG and when I heard "Melissa" for the first time, it really weirded me out and to this day I still can't ever get over it.

There was a point that I'd thought I might have made it all up in my mind but luckily I did find someone on Youtube who had the exact opening I described above uploaded, confirming me memory wasn't faulty. I can't seem to find it right now but I was lucky enough to save a copy of it. Now if only I could find that alternate ending they had where RSG was overlayed over parts of the first OP visuals, that would complete my nostalgia for this series.

Does anyone else remember this? Would be great to hear confirmation that others also experienced it.

Yeah, "Ready Steady Go!" actually played for the first 39 episodes of the [adult swim] broadcast; "Undo" was totally skipped as well. "Rewrite" then played in its proper place for the remaining episodes. From what I remember, this was part of some promotional deal for L'Arc en Ciel and Asian Kung-Fu Generation. I do vaguely remember that bit with the clips from "Melissa" being used with RSG, but I don't know how long it was used. All of the various openings did wind up appearing in their proper places on the home video releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5