• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Soundtrack and the Fury

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Like Mike Toole, I also prefer the original soundtrack for the Mobile Suit Gundam movies especially the use the of "Encounters" during the core fighter's escape at the end. Though unlike Mike, I was exposed to the version with the new soundtrack first.

In the movie version of Gundam Wing Endless Waltz most of the soundtrack was rearanged which was obviously an attempt to give it a different feel compared to the OVA version. Unfortunately, most of the changes just aren't as good as the original soundtrack. I feel that the only instances where the movie soundtrack surpasses the OVAs was the use of "Last Impression" during Wing Zero's activation and the ending credits. Now granted I saw the OVA series first so I might be biased.

As for Zeta Gundam, I actually don't mind the changes to OP and ED since I was never really a fan of them in the first place. In fact I love the replacement song for the OP.

In the final episode of Full Metal Panic TSR, the music from the OP plays during Sosuke's final attack on the main antagonist and it is glorious. However, in the English release they replaced it with a preexisting BGM. While the track they chose fits the scene pretty well it doesn't come close to matching "The Northern Wind". I have no idea why this change was made since they already had the song for the OP.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
On the topic of songs missing from Viz releases, there's also the original Hunter x Hunter series which was missing the second OP song and the second & third ED songs and from what I heard they were also missing from other international releases (same as what happened with Monster which also had it's issues in the French release).

There was also some pieces of BGM replaced in FUNi's Initial D redub of First Stage which may have been a Music & Effects track issue since for example, episode 25, spoiler[Takumi and Ryosuke's first meeting], used music in the Japanese that was never released on any of the show's soundtracks.

On the topic of Johnny & Associates, there was also an ending song missing from FUNi's streamed episodes of Toriko which would have affected their Part 5 DVD release had they not dropped the dub & DVDs of that show. As for One Piece, Manga UK's DVD release of movies 7-9 actually had Sayaendou by NewS kept intact for the 7th film. The biggest surprise to me was that Discotek kept all of Lovely Complex's OP & ED songs which were from not one but two Johnny bands.

xchampion wrote:
Since you mentioned the Yamamoto controversy with Dragonball Z Kai that not only affected the anime but some of his video game scores as well. He plagiarised some music in the original Dragonball Z Budokai 3 video game. When they released the game again as part of the Budokai PS3 HD Remastered collection they replaced the Budokai 3 soundtrack with music from the Budokai Tenkaichi series. It's still good music, but not as good as the original.

They also had to do a quiet re-release of Raging Blast 2 with his score in the game replaced by music from Budokai Tenkaichi 2. They even had to change the Super Butoden 2 score for the recent 3DS port that came with Extreme Butoden.

I often wonder how the Zyuranger theme is still available when it was also Yamamoto and was lifted from Total Recall.

helveticastndrd wrote:
It's worth mentioning that another version of the song plays during a climactic scene in Evangelion 2.22, and remains in Funimation's release.

Speaking of FUNi & Eva, there were a few music video extras in 1.11 which had Fly Me To The Moon but they were removed from later pressings likely due to song rights issues. I was lucky enough to still have the original DVD release of this at the time I upgraded to the Blu-ray but after finding out what they did , I just kept my extras DVD since they're not on the BD.

Quote:
I am pretty sure Akira has had similar soundtrack changes over the years, gotta check the Honneamise disc, that actually has three different Japanese mixes on it.

The Honneamise BD did come with the original mix but it's not on FUNi's re-releases which is a shame considering the previous release had issues with having partial dubtitles for subs.
Schoolie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Great column! I knew the Big O opener had a complex history, but it's even more complicated than I thought!

Just curious about Mike Toole's Big O website/fansite. Which one was it?
russ869

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
helveticastndrd wrote:
The example of this I was reminded of while reading the article was K-On!, where a cover of Tsubasa wo Kudasai in the first episode was replaced on both audio tracks in Bandai Entertainment's release of the show, though I don't know if this persists in Sentai's reissue of the show. It's worth mentioning that another version of the song plays during a climactic scene in Evangelion 2.22, and remains in Funimation's release.

Continuing the Dragon Ball Z theme... If I recall correctly, Kuririn also sings Tsubasa wo Kudasai at karaoke in DBZ Movie 8: "Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" a.k.a. the first Broly movie.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
What's funny is over at Tuxedo Unmasked.com, he just discussed the musical influences of the original Sailor Moon theme song.

The use of copyrighted material, especially songs seems so blurred in the anime industry. Toei's Majokko Tickle got away with including a snippet of Pink Lady's "South Paw" in an episode, but ending credit animation featuring Tweety from Looney Tunes (with Warner Bros. permission!) was removed in reruns and home video releases.

The so-bad-it's-good early shoujo drama Sasurai no Taiyo from Mushi Pro. used a lot of covers of popular songs from the time it aired. Surprisingly, without giving proper credit to any of the original artists. Even more surprising, full versions of all the cover songs were included in the DVD release.

I feel like part of the release why the OVA Nineteen19 never got a DVD release was because it used Sabrina's "Boys/Summetime Love".

The Italian dub for Miracle Shoujo Limit-chan (entitled "Cybernella - Miracle Limit Girl) uses a brand new theme song that sounds a lot like a certainly Beatles song.

Quote:
Also for DBZ, when FUNi made the 5.1 version of the dub with the Japanese music, they omitted all the vocal insert songs, such as the song that plays when Piccolo dies, and the one when Gohan goes SS2 (Unmei no Hi - Tamashii vs Tamashii). They didn't replace them with anything. There's just silence. Even for the original DB, where they otherwise left the music alone from the beginning, the vocal insert songs were usually replaced with more narration.

I think this is less of a rights issue, and more of a Toei-not-giving-companies-proper music track materials. For whatever reason (atleast in the past), Toei would attach speaking voices to insert songs in their series. This usually left dubbers with the option to A. replace the song B. partially leave it in C. remove it completely.

One example I can think of is the Italian dub for Mahoutsukai Chappy. There are a total of two "insert" songs in the series. Episode 1 uses the opening theme during a scene, which the Italian dub removed. The second song, "Mahou no Waltz" was used in the climax of the final episode. Since there wasn't any speaking during the scene, the Italian dub left most of it intact. However, near the end of the song you can faintly hear some of the Japanese actors. The Italian dub tried to mask it by lowering the music volume, and having their actors shout over it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
As for Zeta Gundam, I actually don't mind the changes to OP and ED since I was never really a fan of them in the first place. In fact I love the replacement song for the OP.

I have yet to actually watch Zeta to any capacity, given my fondness for its upbeat openings and my knowledge that as far as things stand, enjoying them as part of the viewing experience is beyond legal possibility. Since it would be most petty for me to turn to other avenues to amend this, pure avoidance remains my best viable option for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Probably hardly anyone remembers Hare Guu but the ED song was changed on the American DVD release which I think was due to licensing costs. The deliberate tonal clash of the original's melancholic ballad with the series' wacky comedy content wasn't preserved by the replacement which sounded like a demo from an electronic keyboard.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Super Milk-chan had its opening and ending changed for the US release due to licensing issues. ADV was cool enough to include the original credits as an extra, but with the audio muted.

It's a shame because the original opening was awesome, and featured parodies of various 70's anime.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also for DBZ, when FUNi made the 5.1 version of the dub with the Japanese music, they omitted all the vocal insert songs, such as the song that plays when Piccolo dies, and the one when Gohan goes SS2 (Unmei no Hi - Tamashii vs Tamashii). They didn't replace them with anything. There's just silence. Even for the original DB, where they otherwise left the music alone from the beginning, the vocal insert songs were usually replaced with more narration.

I noticed that in a later DVD release of DBZ: The World's Strongest, during Gohan's song about Piccolo, the English dub just had instrumental. That made me sad as, when I was a kid, I loved that song. It has the vocalised version in the sub audio track though.I can't remember if I had the VHS or a DVD as a kid, so I don't remember what language I normally watched it in...
I think this is the case with the other insert songs in the movies. I wouldn't expect them to dub the songs, but I guess it'd be too awkward for most viewers to jump from dub to Japanese sub just for a song?
merr

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:
Super Milk-chan had its opening and ending changed for the US release due to licensing issues. ADV was cool enough to include the original credits as an extra, but with the audio muted.

It's a shame because the original opening was awesome, and featured parodies of various 70's anime.

IIRC they hid the original songs' audio at the end of a dub commentary track on one of the discs.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a huge Giant Robo fan. I was aware that some of the music sounded familiar; for example, Youshi and Issei's theme from Episode 2 is a definite riff on the main theme from the film "How the West was Won." It wasn't until I watched the Charlton Heston film "El Cid" that I was struck by the fact that Masmichi Amano took the post-intermission musical cues from the movie and dropped them into the third episode almost note-for-note! Don't believe me? Jump to 15:10 in the following video and try not to hurt your jaw as it hits the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf0JtLhm4Io

In fact, I found a whole forum discussion on just how many of Amano's GR music cues were, umm...influenced by the works of other artists.

http://archive.is/ZFBVd#selection-2203.317-2203.323

This doesn't diminish my love for GR one bit, but it did mess with my brain a little bit.

Shay Guy wrote:
Wasn't there something going on with Castle in the Sky where the original US DVD release had an entirely new soundtrack from the original composer, then it was replaced with the original in later releases?

Yes. It seems that Disney requested the new soundtrack for their dvd release of Laputa. Joe Hisaishi, in an interview with Keyboard Magazine (August 1999 issue), said:

"According to Disney's staff, foreigners (non-Japanese) feel uncomfortable if there is no music for more than 3 minutes (laughs). You see this in the Western movies, which have music throughout. Especially, it is the natural state for a (non-Japanese) animated film to have music all the time. However in the original Laputa, there is only one-hour worth of music in the 2 hour 4 minute movie. There are parts that do not have any music for 7 to 8 minutes. So, we decided to redo the music as (the existing soundtrack) will not be suitable for (the markets) outside of Japan.

"If we just add new music, it won't go well with the music made in 14 years ago. So we completely re-recorded everything. Of course, we can not demolish the melody of Laputa, so I changed the arrangement of it while keeping its integrity.

"The American way of putting music in a movie is basically very simple. They just match the music with the characters. For example, when the army shows up on screen, you hear the army's theme. The music explains the screen images--that is the point of Hollywood music. Until this time, I avoided such an approach, as I felt that it would make music dull, although I understand such an approach. But when I redid (the music of Laputa this way), I learned a lot.

"We do not have a concrete plan for the soundtrack (album) release yet, but (the completed soundtrack) is great. Miyazaki-San was also very pleased."

Link to source: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-286483.html
Duelist

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
Yes. It seems that Disney requested the new soundtrack for their dvd release of Laputa. Joe Hisaishi, in an interview with Keyboard Magazine (August 1999 issue), said:

"According to Disney's staff, foreigners (non-Japanese) feel uncomfortable if there is no music for more than 3 minutes (laughs). You see this in the Western movies, which have music throughout. Especially, it is the natural state for a (non-Japanese) animated film to have music all the time. However in the original Laputa, there is only one-hour worth of music in the 2 hour 4 minute movie. There are parts that do not have any music for 7 to 8 minutes. So, we decided to redo the music as (the existing soundtrack) will not be suitable for (the markets) outside of Japan.

"If we just add new music, it won't go well with the music made in 14 years ago. So we completely re-recorded everything. Of course, we can not demolish the melody of Laputa, so I changed the arrangement of it while keeping its integrity.

"The American way of putting music in a movie is basically very simple. They just match the music with the characters. For example, when the army shows up on screen, you hear the army's theme. The music explains the screen images--that is the point of Hollywood music. Until this time, I avoided such an approach, as I felt that it would make music dull, although I understand such an approach. But when I redid (the music of Laputa this way), I learned a lot.

"We do not have a concrete plan for the soundtrack (album) release yet, but (the completed soundtrack) is great. Miyazaki-San was also very pleased."

Link to source: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-286483.html

Hmm. Well, now I have no idea which version I've seen. I think I only saw the film on it's original US DVD release. I upgraded to the blu-ray and may have traded in my old DVD or something. Honestly haven't gotten around to watching the blu-ray yet. I wonder if the version I currently own would seem odd in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
This is a fascinating subject if only because I tend to rage whenever you have some licensed piece of music, it gets replaced by some generic garbage and the scene does not work. Speed Grapher's opening is a big example of that, because not only was the replacement garbage, the ironic tones didn't work.

It's even worse when the music is thematically relevant and is replaced with a soundalike. It'd be tone deaf, or the soundtrack to Suicide Squad.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Duelist wrote:
Hmm. Well, now I have no idea which version I've seen. I think I only saw the film on it's original US DVD release. I upgraded to the blu-ray and may have traded in my old DVD or something. Honestly haven't gotten around to watching the blu-ray yet. I wonder if the version I currently own would seem odd in comparison.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. I probably should have followed this up with some clarification. Basically, the DVD had the upgraded, non-original soundtrack for the English dub.. However, the Japanese track on the same disc had the original soundtrack. Apparently, the original soundtrack was restored to the English dub for the blu ray (from what I've heard - I have yet to purchase the blu ray but it's on my wish list). The newer, re-scored soundtrack was left off of the blu ray. The Japanese track also has the original soundtrack.

For anyone who's interested, the re-scored version was released on cd shortly after the dvd was released. It can be found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Sky-Score-Joe-Hisaishi/dp/B00006G8ZD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1495068569&sr=1-1&keywords=castle+in+the+sky
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The Big O Sentai Filmworks DVD release article on Toonami Faithful made reference to the original Mike Toole Show article, so that's how I ended up here.

Another interesting example of rights issues is in the transition of Gundam Unicorn from its 2010-2014 OVA version to its 2016 TV version (which just ended its run on Toonami last weekend). It contained the EDs of OVA episodes #3, #6, and #7, (as a special ending of Re:0096 Episode #9, as a special opening of Re:0096 Episode #18, and as the ending of the series Episode #22, respectively), but unfortunately none of the others. I own OVAs #1-#4 on DVD so I can hear those but I don't own #5 and may have never even heard it, which bugs me somewhat.

Oddly enough, there is an official VEVO recording of #2 by Kylee that is easily found on YouTube! Those songs were less than 3-6 years old so it was weird that the TV version couldn't use them. I hope if Origin gets the same treatment someday, they are able to keep more of the original music for the TV edit, but I guess we'll see.

Also on Toonami these days is the Dragon Ball Super redux of Frieza: Resurrection of F. They used an orchestral piece for the rebirth of Frieza in the movie but it hasn't been in the series, so far. I don't watch the sub so I guess it still might show up in a later episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5