• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kadokawa Holds Light Novel Contest for Stories About Adult Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
While I like that grown men are getting the spotlight, it doesn't guarantee good LNs, bad LNs are determined by content not the age of the characters. We could just have bad LNs that are about the same but grown men however, on the bright side, we could end up having fantasy LNs with married couple teams (2 married warriors or a warrior/mage, warrior/healer, a thieving couple, etc.) which would be nice.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
So like GATE, Sukasuka, Rokudenashi etc. Yeah, they're not exactly reaching for a high bar right there. If you have to put such arbitrary rules like "LN's adults would like to read," then you just come off as desperate for ideas.

Just make it a free writing contest. Even if you get a bunch of isekai clones, that shouldn't warrant you to limit the scope.

Last edited by Paiprince on Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
What exactly makes an "adult man"? Just that he's past high school?

I laughed pretty hard that they had to specify no isekai stories though.
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Because God forbid we allow the existence of female adult characters. Rolling Eyes
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
XakonXIV wrote:
Because God forbid we allow the existence of female adult characters. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure someone will have a contest for that too at some point. That's just not what this one is about. Rolling Eyes
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
XakonXIV wrote:

I'm sure someone will have a contest for that too at some point. That's just not what this one is about. Rolling Eyes

But why even divide it up in the first place? It feels like such an arbitrary rule to add. Like what, are male adult readers unable to relate to a main character of the opposite sex? I just don't see the point of making the main character's sex something obligatory.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
XakonXIV wrote:

But why even divide it up in the first place? It feels like such an arbitrary rule to add. Like what, are male adult readers unable to relate to a main character of the opposite sex? I just don't see the point of making the main character's sex something obligatory.

I think it ties in with the no-isekai thing and is based on popular trend, which is to have a male protag so then you can have a sexy harem.
So they're like "well if you want to write about a dude fine but no isekai and he can't be in high school".
I bet like 99% of the submissions they see are male protag stories, so they're just trying to filter out the inevitable (male centric) schlock that would otherwise have been submitted.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Though I have little interest in the average light novel, this approach does sound different so I'll be curious as to what kind of stories they'll get.

MrTerrorist wrote:
To me this restriction over having an adult male protagonist without using the Isekai trope is a good challenge for the writers since it means they have to think creatively to write a good story without using an overused trope.

Same here. The writers will have force themselves to come up with something creative and you never know, you could get something really interesting.

XakonXIV wrote:

Personally, I don't see anything problematic at all. It's their contest and they can set their rules however they want. If someone wants to write an isekai story or with a female adult character, then just look for another contest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2