• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director Jordan Peele Explains Why He Isn't Directing Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zumie

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Uh, why would he? He only directed ONE movie so far, Akira isn't anywhere close to what "Get Out" is, all things considered. I mean let the guy get more experience first. And, I didn't find that "Get Out" was that good anyway (I mean story wise, not direction wise).
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Wish they'd just cancel this.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
I really hoped that Peele would direct this but I completely understand why he declined. If preferring to make his own original content isn't respectable enough, then I don't know what is. Well, it was a nice try on WB's part. Either better luck next time or let this heap of development hell go.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I don't know why the hell they keep this in limbo. They should give up. It's not going anywhere at this rate.

Several years ago Neil Gamain wrote about why studios do this (in his case it was an adaptation of his Sandman comic) but basically, they will option and keep it optioned (even if they don't even mean to make anything out of it ever) just so another studio can't option it and make money off of said property.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I don't know why the hell they keep this in limbo. They should give up. It's not going anywhere at this rate.

Film projects have been made after being in production purgatory for much, much longer than Akira. Some, like Forrest Gump, went from studio to studio for decades before finally getting made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2