• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Staff Makes Land of the Lustrous/Hōseki no Kuni CG TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Uh, oh. Neutral
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Uh, oh. Neutral

Thank you for your insightful view on this news. The level of commentary you provided with these deep words will lead to much discussion! I think your most interesting point was the non-capitalization of the "oh". That alone added much to the discussion of the announcement.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Staff has some good work under their belts I'm not going to be worried if it is full 3D CGI Bubuki Buranki for example turned out fine even if it had it's spotty parts here and there.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Cg, huh... Interesting decision. Well, we'll see how it goes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Computer graphics...Hopefully the result at least turns out decent.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
I really hope this show is ten times more impressive than Love Live (which shouldn't be too hard to do but still...) because so far I am not impressed. The premise sounds (or is) laughably dumb, a "gem" who is working on a magazine because she wasn't given a purpose unlike her peers...who are fighting people that wants to make into decorations? Really? I have a grave feeling I misunderstood that which is why I want to give this a chance so I can at least try to understand the context but then they decided to make this a CG project of all things...unless it's by Digital Frontier (the people there make marvelous work) or Polygon Pictures (hit-or-miss), then I don't know if I should even bother watching this. I'll give this a benefit of a doubt and wait for the promotional trailer.

EDIT: I read that the animation production company for this project is minor studio named Orange....... and my expectations has gotten lower than Greece's economy. Still giving them that benefit of a doubt.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'll just stick to the manga instead of suffering through CG. This is such a shame, director doesn't look that promising either. Maybe it'll be a good adaptation, but I wish it weren't CG...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I really hope this show is ten times more impressive than Love Live (which shouldn't be too hard to do but still...) because so far I am not impressed
Very interesting viewpoint there. You sound like someone whose favourite anime is entirely made up of shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, Evangelion, Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy and FLCL but still continually insists they're a free thinker who doesn't base their opinions on what other people say.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Okay, when i first saw the caption "love live staffers are making A CG anime", i actually thought it was STUDIO SUNRISE, but guess im wrong. Talk about straightforward post. (Lol)
Magician Yang

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I really hope this show is ten times more impressive than Love Live (which shouldn't be too hard to do but still...) because so far I am not impressed
Very interesting viewpoint there. You sound like someone whose favourite anime is entirely made up of shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Monster, Evangelion, Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy and FLCL but still continually insists they're a free thinker who doesn't base their opinions on what other people say.

you act like there is something wrong with liking those shows and just having a higher standard of what to expect from anime.

I also dont fault this guy for his concerns, the animation studio behind this has never done a solo project due to being a 3d cgi studio collaborating with other studios like Khara and production IG. I would have preferred a studio that could handle the manga's art style like Shaft or Trigger or even Sanzigan with the way they directed bubuki baranki in 3D. Then there is the director I have a problem with cause he did an awful job on GATE and I wish they Masahiro Ando to direct this thing, guy knows slice of life and action direction. If not him then again, the director of bubuki baranki should have done it if its going for 3d. I want to hope this turns out well, but unless a trailer comes out that blows me away there's enough warning flags here in the staff and production listing to keep me from being too hyped about it now.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
I love how people see the word "LoveLive" and thinks it's going to be bad...honestly, they're ignorant if they think that way. Give the anime a chance, everyone jumps on the hate bandwagon so easiky nowadays. Now i bet if the staffers worked on a different anime from Shaft or Kyoani people wouldn't be so prejudiced. On the other hand, thr premise of this show is okay...i'll have to wait to see what it can promise.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

Not a bad thing to like those. Honestly as much as I've come to like LoveLive over this past half year or so the anime in terms of plot is pretty paint by numbers. Both Muse and Aqours have pretty standard characters but there's enough variety between them most people can find one or two they really like. S1 of the first series was pretty bad in my opinion at that. LoveLive is anime idol fan bait and not some super well produced show just an alright produced show.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

EDIT: I read that the animation production company for this project is minor studio named Orange....... and my expectations has gotten lower than Greece's economy. Still giving them that benefit of a doubt.

I wouldn't call Orange minor. Like, at all. They're the only studio who seem to be able to make CG robots work. Fafner, MJP, Akito and Comet Lucifer's CG were all done by them.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
CG, huh? Well that's disappointing. I'm not opposed to CG, I just prefer how traditional animation looks. Hopefully they can make it look decent, or at the most bearable. Ajin and Knights of Sidonia weren't too bad, so if it's something like that I'd be okay with watching it.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
I've looked through a lot of Orange's CG and it's fairly fluid, maybe there is hope for this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2