• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Ends Serialization in 10 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Simply awaiting Mashima's next work. Fairy Tail was enjoyable up until a certain point, then it became a never-ending train wreck.

I enjoy Mashima's one-shot's as they're fun. Hoping his new series will be the same.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
~Post Removed~

That was not my point at all.

My point was that people talk about Fanservice in Fairy Tail like it's the focus and it's not. They also talk about it like the series is borderline hentai and it's not even close. There are dozens of other popular shonen and such with equal or more fanservice so it make no sense why people single out Fairy Tail for it when it's no where near the worst offender.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
So right at the end of July... That seems so much closer than I had thought. Once again, still having that bittersweet feeling about it. I love the series and I look forward to the chapters every week. Still, I hope it has a happy ending, and with the ending maybe we'll see the anime come back to finish the rest of the series without the need for filler.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

My point was that people talk about Fanservice in Fairy Tail like it's the focus and it's not. They also talk about it like the series is borderline hentai and it's not even close. There are dozens of other popular shonen and such with equal or more fanservice so it make no sense why people single out Fairy Tail for it when it's no where near the worst offender.

Mashima will never live down putting Erza naked in a BDSM dungeon with a sadistic torturer with the power to magnify physical sensations.

Forgetting the doujins writing themselves, Mashima wrote them for us.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Somewhere along the way the focus shifted slightly away from the plot and over to poorly written ship moments and fanservice. Otherwise we wouldnt have gotten such golden moments as Erza being tied up in what was essentially Kyouka's sex dungeon and Lacardes Orgasm magic.

Again the problem with the fanservice in Fairy Tail isnt that its there, its how its utilized. Its almost always during a battle scene or some other serious moment. Its just ridiculous amd nonsensical.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

My theory is that people read one or 2 Manga, with no sense of perspective they claim FT is Nakama Power or Fanservice heavy when it's really in the middle.

1 to 10, if I were to place a Manga like FT on Nakama power, it would be a 5 and Fanservise at 4.

A real Fanservise heavy Manga would be History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (9) or To Love Ru (10) and a real Nakama Manga would be either Saint Seiya (9) or Yugi-OH (10).

FT is frankly nothing special on those departments, the real weird part that disconcerts me is the part saying "There is no tension".

It's a Comedy Manga, what tension?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Mashima will never live down putting Erza naked in a BDSM dungeon with a sadistic torturer with the power to magnify physical sensations.

Forgetting the doujins writing themselves, Mashima wrote them for us.

I spat my drink out at that comment
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I was a fan of Fairy Tail, but I dropped it around Chapter 508 since I was less engaged with the series at that point and more bored by it and bothered by all the copouts from some revelations spoiler[Like them pointlessly killing Juvia, only to bring her back in the very next chapter]. It has to the point that I was more interested in the manga ending like it is now then actually being enthralled with the story.

Not sure if I wanna come back to it just to see how it ends though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Just had to clean up a bunch of OT trollish posts. The discussion on the fanservice in FT is rather OT here. If you want to discuss that then please go to one of the actual Fairy Tale discussion threads for the series or episodes.
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
I really like Fairy Tail, and I still enjoy it. I'm also happy, that it's ending soon. In that 11 years I got series that I want. With nice, funny characters, interesting, but not long and boring story, and nice, and short fights.
If someone like long fights like on Bleach, where you got one fight in 1,5 volume, that's ok. I rather want short fight, than long, where everyone got tons of fomrs,powerups, and hidden secrets attacks.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Then get that anime adapation on the way! Wink

Dragon Cry had a post-credit scene hinting at series 3.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="Minos_Kurumada"]
Snakebit1995 wrote:

FT is frankly nothing special on those departments, the real weird part that disconcerts me is the part saying "There is no tension".

It's a Comedy Manga, what tension?

Yes because Shadow Gear getting beaten and crucified, Ur sacrificing herself for Gray and Lyon, Natsu watching his dad die in front of him, Erza attempting to commit suicide in the Tower of Heaven, Wendy watching as the guild that raised her for years disappear because they were dead all along, Laxus threatening to atomize a town with thousands of innocent people, and spoiler[Irene and August killing themselves] were all written for the luls.

What the hell are you talking about?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
Given the amount of the NaLu moments in the manga and the fact that Mashima's Twitter occasionally has such artwork, I can say that NaLu will likely happen. The "Rave Master" leads did get married. Even if NaLu doesn't end with marriage, a mere confession and kiss is likely enough for many NaLu fans like me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
NaLu happening is not just something that would make many FT fans happy. Characters like Mirajane definitely want NaLu to happen. Of all the in-story couples/near couples, NaLu is probably the one that is strongest for soul mates/true love.

*to give you an idea how big the fan base for it is, I am a member of FB group that has over 82,100 NaLu fans.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
NaLu happening is not just something that would make many FT fans happy. Characters like Mirajane definitely want NaLu to happen. Of all the in-story couples/near couples, NaLu is probably the one that is strongest for soul mates/true love.

*to give you an idea how big the fan base for it is, I am a member of FB group that has over 82,100 NaLu fans.

That is not remotely true. Mirajane wants basically any couple to happen because she's a psuedo-matchmaker. (she's also expressed interest in Lucy getting with Gray before lest we forget). A lot of people in the fandom dont want NaLu to happen because its cliche and poorly written (like a majority of the "Big 4" ships in the series).

NaLu also isnt the strongest in terms of "soulmates/true love" either. Natsu and Lisanna is a strong candidate (though Mashima pushed the latter to the background) and Natsu and Erza have arguably the strongest bond and some of the most meaningful moments in the series.

Also Alzack and Bisca arent a case for true love? Their happily married with a child. Just a because a lot of people want a certain pairing to happen doesnt mean it should in the context of the story. Look at Bleach and Naruto for example lots of people are still livid about how that turned out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3